Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Euro Horror

Old 11-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #31
Conal Cochran
Stalker

My mother in law has gone to Profondo rosso a couple of years ago. She did bing me an original poster of Four flies on grey velvet.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #32
scott71670
Maniac

Very cool to see those photos PI!!!! We took a couple photos downstairs but the flash wasn't good enough- found out when the film was developed.
scott71670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #33
Ash28M
HackMaster

Looks like i've got two nights in Rome to round out my honeymoon cruise in September. Google maps says the shop is 5 km away from the hotel. Anyone know if cabs are affordable over there?
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #34
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Looks like i've got two nights in Rome to round out my honeymoon cruise in September. Google maps says the shop is 5 km away from the hotel. Anyone know if cabs are affordable over there?
Italy is a very expensive country.

And 5 km is nothing... just walk slowly and enjoy the city.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #35
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Italy is a very expensive country.

And 5 km is nothing... just walk slowly and enjoy the city.
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Either that or public transit.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #36
dave13
HackMaster

My wife and I took a vacation to Europe a few weeks ago. First time being there for either of us. We spent 3 days in London, 3 in Paris, and then 3 in Rome. It was exhausting! But a hell of a lot of fun.

We went to Profondo Rosso when we were in Rome. Cozzi was there, just chilling out behind the counter. I wasn't even sure it was him, at first. I'm sure I acted like an idiot after asking him if he was, in fact, Luigi Cozzi. I looked at my wife and said "Holy shit, this is Luigi Cozzi!" She had no idea who that was, of course. I've never been into horror conventions or any of that kind of thing, so I think he's probably the first person from the film industry that I've ever met.

There was no one else in the store, so we chatted a little bit. I told him how much I liked StarCrash and Contamination, and he seemed amused when I mentioned how the egg-laying alien at the end of Contamination pre-figured Cameron's alien queen from Aliens, and that it seemed quite evident that Cameron had ripped him off. We talked a bit about filming Two Evil Eyes in Pittsburgh, and about what a shame it was that physical media is in decline. He was just really cool.

I picked up two of the 9 books that they've translated into English. "Directed by Lewis Coates" and "The making of Deep Red". He was nice enough to autograph the one about him, and personalized it too. I also bought an Italian giallo mystery book. Its not exactly an original - this one was published in the early 80's, but it's got the yellow jacket and lurid cover illustration. It was only 3 euros, so even though I'll never be able to read it, it's still a cool piece of the genre. I told Cozzi that I also wanted to buy a movie, something made in Italy, so we went through the few titles that he had. I would have liked to buy something by him, but the only thing he had that I didn't already own was a copy of Paganini Horror on DVD, with only an Italian language track and no subs. So instead I decided to upgrade my MYA 4 Flies DVD to the Shameless BD. It was pretty expensive (30 euros), but, like others here have said, I just wanted to buy something from the store, and wasn't really thinking about the price. Looking at amazon.co.uk now, I see I could have saved myself about 10 euros if I'd ordered it online, but I'd rather have the copy I have, knowing where I got it. All told I think I spent maybe 80 euros, and he threw in a free Profondo Rosso keychain

I convinced my wife to come into the museum with me, and she was actually pretty impressed. We had just watched Opera, so she recognized the set from that. There was some pretty great stuff down there, and well worth the 3 euros each. I especially liked the voice over narration by Cozzi that he started up before we went down. "Don't be afraid of being eaten by these zombie's...they're still full from the last bunch of tourists who came through here." Or something to that effect.

We took lots of pictures, and he was nice enough to pose with me for one just before we left. I'll put some of them up when I get home. Great experience, though. Definitely recommend everyone get there if they can.

Last edited by dave13; 06-27-2013 at 08:39 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #37
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
My wife and I took a vacation to Europe a few weeks ago. First time being there for either of us. We spent 3 days in London, 3 in Paris, and then 3 in Rome. It was exhausting! But a hell of a lot of fun.

We went to Profondo Rosso when we were in Rome. Cozzi was there, just chilling out behind the counter. I wasn't even sure it was him, at first. I'm sure I acted like an idiot after asking him if he was, in fact, Luigi Cozzi. I looked at my wife and said "Holy shit, this is Luigi Cozzi!" She had no idea who that was, of course. I've never been into horror conventions or any of that kind of thing, so I think he's probably the first person from the film industry that I've ever met.

There was no one else in the store, so we chatted a little bit. I told him how much I liked StarCrash and Contamination, and he seemed amused when I mentioned how the egg-laying alien at the end of Contamination pre-figured Cameron's alien queen from Aliens, and that it seemed quite evident that Cameron had ripped him off. We talked a bit about filming Two Evil Eyes in Pittsburgh, and about what a shame it was that physical media is in decline. He was just really cool.

I picked up two of the 9 books that they've translated into English. "Directed by Lewis Coates" and "The making of Deep Red". He was nice enough to autograph the one about him, and personalized it too. I also bought an Italian giallo mystery book. Its not exactly an original - this one was published in the early 80's, but it's got the yellow jacket and lurid cover illustration. It was only 3 euros, so even though I'll never be able to read it, it's still a cool piece of the genre. I told Cozzi that I also wanted to buy a movie, something made in Italy, so we went through the few titles that he had. I would have liked to buy something by him, but the only thing he had that I didn't already own was a copy of Paganini Horror on DVD, with only an Italian language track and no subs. So instead I decided to upgrade my MYA 4 Flies DVD to the Shameless BD. It was pretty expensive (30 euros), but, like others here have said, I just wanted to buy something from the store, and wasn't really thinking about the price. Looking at amazon.co.uk now, I see I could have saved myself about 10 euros if I'd ordered it online, but I'd rather have the copy I have, knowing where I got it. All told I think I spent maybe 80 euros, and he threw in a free Profondo Rosso keychain

I convinced my wife to come into the museum with me, and she was actually pretty impressed. We had just watched Opera, so she recognized the set from that. There was some pretty great stuff down there, and well worth the 3 euros each. I especially liked the voice over narration by Cozzi that he started up before we went down. "Don't be afraid of being eaten by these zombie's...they're still full from the last bunch of tourists who came through here." Or something to that effect.

We took lots of pictures, and he was nice enough to pose with me for one just before we left. I'll put some of them up when I get home. Great experience, though. Definitely recommend everyone get there if they can.
Great read! Sounds like it was worth the trip alone haha, I'm jealous!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #38
dave13
HackMaster

Here are some of the photos we took. I think someone already posted some shots of the guy from opera and the kid from phenomena. So here's one of the exterior, one of me and Cozzi, one from Demons, one from Two Evil Eyes, and one from The Church. Apparently they're all original props. It was pretty cool to see the grisly chopped woman from two evil eyes and the actual demon prop with the protruding fingernails. the one from the church was lit in blue light, but it was so dark you can't really make it out in the one we took without the flash. so i posted the one with the flash.

edit: I'm not sure why the one of Luigi Cozzi is on its side. If anyone can tell me how to fix it I'd appreciate it. The original file displays properly on my computer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg entrance.jpg (30.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg demons.jpg (27.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg two evil eyes.jpg (22.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg the church.jpg (31.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg cozzi.jpg (39.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by dave13; 06-28-2013 at 12:20 AM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #39
Ash28M
HackMaster

Yeah i ended up stopping by last year. It's a very small and cramped little store. It's expensive to buy anything there but the basement museum is worth the $3 and it's fun to meet an italian horror director in person. It's not really worth going out of your way for but it's worth stopping by if you're in Rome.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #40
deepred
Maniac

I hope I get to Italy one day!
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #41
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I was just thinking about this place the other day! This is one of those places I've always wanted to check out.

There's also this Suspiria themed bar in Tokyo: http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...rill-cambiare/

I've been kicking myself because I was just in Japan and didn't know about it at the time.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote