Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #61
Mattapooh
Maniac

I already have an awesome bootleg of the TV version from the original airing in 1981 with the commercials intact, there's no way that can ever be topped.

Aside from the new bonus features, what I'm most interested in is the colour timing used on this new disc. That should be a shitstorm no matter which way it's done.
Mattapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #62
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattapooh View Post
Aside from the new bonus features, what I'm most interested in is the colour timing used on this new disc. That should be a shitstorm no matter which way it's done.
Cundey's involvement should make this a non-issue. But I fear you're right. People actually bitched about the THX disc based on hazy memories of what they think they saw on the screen back in 1978. I know I can be a contrarian. But that strikes me as completely ridiculous. Cundey knows what the original answer print looked like better than anyone. And Don May has confirmed the vibrant night-time blue tints are on the original negatives. The color timing debate should really be over.

But...incompetent, misinformed reviewers could easily claim revisionism. This disc should look radically different from the last 2 digital releases of Halloween. And that's sure to confuse some people, especially the lazy ones writing for some of the top review sites. Blu-ray.com and high def digest both posted rave reviews of the 7.1 audio track on the Jaws blu--and it contained the same egregiously-replaced sound effects as the 5.1 DVD mixes that got slammed all over the net. And all they had to do was compare the mono and surround tracks (both on the disc) to realize they sound nothing like each other during some scenes.

It will definitely be interesting to see how the new transfer is received.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #63
russweiss
Maniac

I've owned this on laserdisc, DVD, and blu so unless it offers something worth me spending more money I'll pass.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #64
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
I really hope they just use the original poster art and not try too hard.
Exactly - I hope so too! I hope they don't use that damn scratchy artwork, distressed titles, ect. that everything else uses now (superheroes included)!
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #65
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
Exactly - I hope so too! I hope they don't use that damn scratchy artwork, distressed titles, ect. that everything else uses now (superheroes included)!
It doesn't look like they're going to use the poster art for the cover. You'd think so, it's great art.

Anyway, I'm surprised they got Carpenter to do another commentary. I remember he refused back when Anchor Bay first put it out on DVD saying "once was enough". I'm glad though. Carpenter commentaries always please, and this time he recorded it with Curtis instead of the two of them being edited together.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #66
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen View Post
It doesn't look like they're going to use the poster art for the cover. You'd think so, it's great art.

Anyway, I'm surprised they got Carpenter to do another commentary. I remember he refused back when Anchor Bay first put it out on DVD saying "once was enough". I'm glad though. Carpenter commentaries always please, and this time he recorded it with Curtis instead of the two of them being edited together.
What makes you say that? Anchor Bay hasn't revealed the cover art yet. Definitely looking forward to hearing the new commentary. John Carpenter loves money so I'm not surprised he's doing another commentary.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #67
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
What makes you say that? Anchor Bay hasn't revealed the cover art yet. Definitely looking forward to hearing the new commentary. John Carpenter loves money so I'm not surprised he's doing another commentary.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-Blu-ray/54082/
Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #68
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen View Post
That cover is fanmade (let's make that clear right now). Though it is kick-ass.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #69
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
That cover is fanmade (let's make that clear right now).
Correct. That cover was uploaded by a blu-ray.com member nearly a year ago.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #70
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Correct. That cover was uploaded by a blu-ray.com member nearly a year ago.
I guess I'm just not in the know. Hopefully they will use the poster art. I think all the releases in the past have.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #71
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

hopefully they will use the original art without "distressing" it like all the current trendy crap.
I blame SE7EN for kickstarting that trend.
Anyway - is it true that Jamie Lee is on board for new contribution?
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #72
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
hopefully they will use the original art without "distressing" it like all the current trendy crap.
I blame SE7EN for kickstarting that trend.
Anyway - is it true that Jamie Lee is on board for new contribution?
She did a new commentary with JC for this BD. I thought I read something about a doc filmed by her daughter in regards to the convention she attended a few months back. All I want is an awesome transfer and the TV cut (hopefully in HD).
Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #73
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

It's cool that this thing is going to be a digibook, but holy God damn, that is some hideous fucking artwork. It looks like a five years old's water color finger painting for christ's sake. It does say in small print beneath the image that it's "not final art", but I'll be damned if I can think of one instance where final artwork was changed from what was advertised earlier. It would have been so perfect had they just used the original poster art. The fake cover art on blu-ray.com is actually looking pretty good to me right about now. Oh well, Anchor Bay wouldn't be Anchor Bay if they weren't fucking something up.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 07-18-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Mikey Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #74
shape22
HackMaster

That's truly awful. They should probably consult Dean Cundey before approving that too.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #75
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
That's truly awful. They should probably consult Dean Cundey before approving that too.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote