Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Bootleg Video Dealers

Do the rest of you hate these guys as much as I do? I don't even understand how they still exist at conventions. I thought about this over the weekend when I went to the Fatality Fest. There was a guy who was selling Warner Archive DVDs which were obvious copies, for the same price as the site. On top of that, he was selling a bunch of stuff on DVD-R for $15-20 that was already out on Blu-Ray. There was a time way back, when I'd buy bootleg VHS and then DVD-R copies from the dealers, because you couldn't get the movies anywhere else. Then, more and more of these films started getting released and on top of that, if you looked, there is always a place to download or get the stuff online. In L.A. and NY these guys would be arrested, but other states have just let them exist. Their time is really gone and they just annoy me being at a con! It annoys me for the fact that now they are stealing (it wasn't really stealing when there wasn't a legit place to buy the product) and ripping fans off on top of that. I guess fans should be more informed, but regardless!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
x666x
HackMaster

I agree 100 percent. It actually takes away from these conventions. Are they really getting arrested in the major US cities? I think the only table that had their stuff confiscated in Toronto were selling all these crazy ass knives. I think they were from the US, so I don't know how they got across the border if their steel was illegal here in the first place.

I think the bootleggers' numbers will dwindle into nothing soon. Especially if there is a legit retail booth selling, let's say, legit Warner Archive DVDs. It will protect their business if they just call the authorities on the bootleggers of the same merchandise. Hell, there is even a chain store in smaller towns around here that now carry legit Warner Archive DVDs along with the regular stuff.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Ptflea2
HackMaster

The first Con I ever went to was Dragon Con in Atlanta back in 1997. There must have been 20 or so different booths for VHS bootleggers. They were everywhere. Now, maybe one or two were their last year. Most of the stuff I saw was DVD-R of long out of print stuff like Rawhead Rex and Nekro 1 & 2 or TV shows never released on DVD.

Last edited by Ptflea2; 06-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Ptflea2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Hard to believe they are allowed to do this.
A few years back the RIAA stormed into a KISS Convention in Atlanta, seizing hundreds of bootlegs and arresting the organizer.
He was forced to sell many of his personal effects to cover court costs.
Same could happen here.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #5
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I don't want to see a promoter go to jail, but they really need to police their vendors. I really don't want to see these guys anymore!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Dobby
HackMaster

Doesn't matter what State you live in bootleggers are always present. Especially conventions and even stuff like State fairs. Why they are allowed is beyond anyone's guess but they are always present. There is nothing you can do about it either only choice you get is don't buy. The shit that annoys me also is their $20 price tag for homemade DVD'r crap.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Eddyw78
Stalker

I used to buy loads of this shit years back simply because I couldnt get the movies I wanted in official releases. Alot of it was recorded off VHS onto DVDr crap with photocopied covers in a smelly cheap case. There used to be a few guys doing this in the UK who advertised in the back of magazines and did a three for 10 deal. Ok to see movies you couldnt get anywhere else but the quality was mostly bad and once legitimate releases inevitably came out the bootlegs had no resale value and just ended up in the back of cupboard or in the trash. There are still bootleggers on Ebay who seem to get away with it even now. There are two which I see on a regular basis. One sells Euro horror and the other Spag westerns and although some of the titles they stock look interesting I dont really want to go down the bootleg route again.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Everyone knows about this shit, proving those FBI warnings mean nothing. If they wanted to do something about piracy, all they'd have to do is hit any fucking convention.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
The shit that annoys me also is their $20 price tag for homemade DVD'r crap.
That's what pisses me off too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Everyone knows about this shit, proving those FBI warnings mean nothing. If they wanted to do something about piracy, all they'd have to do is hit any fucking convention.
Totally true!!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #10
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Are there any free programs to test the authenticity of a DVD? I think there are programs that tell you the date it was authored, etc.

I'm weary of ordering from eBay after receiving bootlegs in the past, but I went ahead and ordered something anyway. It's probably legit, but I just want to test that it's authentic when it gets here, just to be sure.

Any suggestions?
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #11
msw7
Morso a morte

I just accidentally bought a bootleg a few weeks ago (DVDRare.com - don't buy from them!), and what they sent is not even close to what they advertised (and what really pissed me off was that it was a poor quality copy!) - At least if you're going to lie and sell me a bootleg, copy the entire contents of the disk you're stealing from.

I'm surprised that they operate out in the open in this country though, particularly after all the brouhaha with megaupload recently. I'd have thought there'd be more pressure to shut pirates down.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #12
Paff

I haven't dealt with bootlegs in a while, but it used to be pretty easy to detect. Since most of the time you're getting a bootleg is a title not available in your country, look to see if the region coding is right. Like, it'll say "Region 3" on the disc, but play just fine in a Region 1 player. Also look to see if there's missing content. Extras, mostly. Or it will claim to have DTS, but there's no DTS actually there.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #13
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Are there any free programs to test the authenticity of a DVD? I think there are programs that tell you the date it was authored, etc.

I'm weary of ordering from eBay after receiving bootlegs in the past, but I went ahead and ordered something anyway. It's probably legit, but I just want to test that it's authentic when it gets here, just to be sure.

Any suggestions?
It's easy, flip the disc over. If the read side is purple it's a bootleg. If it's silver it's legit.

That's one of my problems with the "burn on demand" DVD-R discs companies sell, they're no better than a bootleg. It really comes down to paying someone like Warner just because they are Warner. Otherwise they're not offering anything a guy selling out of the truck of is car isn't already selling.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
chancetx
Stalker

But there's a huge bootleg market in Asia that produce fake DVDs and CDs that are extremely difficult to tell aren't legit. I bought several DVDs off ebay a few years ago that I'm pretty sure are bootlegs but looking at them there's really no easy way to tell. Silver discs, quality artwork, even slipcovers. I'm only (pretty) certain they're bootlegs because the titles weren't in print/available at the time (Santa Sangre, Cold Prey 2) and they were only about $10 each. (They were from Singapore and they're both listed at amazon below the more recent R1 versions. Correct me if I'm wrong and these are legit.) Just FYI, I've since bought the official region 1 releases of both.

I've also bought some bootleg CDs from ebay and amazon - hard to find titles that are long out of print and go for hundreds of dollars for legitimate second hand copies. Other than the fact these CDs look too "new" to be legitimate copies you'd never be able to tell they are fake. Silver pressed discs and clean, quality artwork (not photocopies.) I would much rather buy these titles legally but if the record companies won't make them available my choices are limited. Download illegally (if you can even find the title), pay a third-party seller outrageous prices (again, if you can find a copy) or pay a bootlegger a more reasonable price. The artist and record label lose out in any of those scenarios so I feel a bit torn. I guess I justify it since I'm one of the few people still buying physical CDs and downloading legally. And I'll be first in line to buy the titles when official versions get re-released.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
Eddyw78
Stalker

I bought some DVDs off Ebay years ago which i am sure must gave been bootlegs. They were Asian but actually looked really good. The DVDs were silver backed with with real printed DVD faces and the cover art. They also had slip covers. There was just something about them that said bootleg. They said region 1 on the back but played on region 2 machines no problem despite obviously being sourced from a region 1 disc(FBI warning at the start). I also got the movies before they were released on disc in the UK. I must say of they were bootlegs they were very good and would fool a vast amount of buyers.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote