Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #31
dickieduvet
Maniac

Watched it a couple of nights ago, It's a stunner. The transfer is beautiful.

One of, If not my favourite release this year!
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #32
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieduvet View Post
Watched it a couple of nights ago, It's a stunner. The transfer is beautiful.

One of, If not my favourite release this year!
You have it already? Really looking forward to this. A real guilty pleasure. What is the sound like? No 5.1 like my old Anchor Bay DVD.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #33
dickieduvet
Maniac

Yes chief, Ordered direct from Arrow. They always ship their titles early

Sound was fair, Not as good as the PQ but a huge jump over the quality of the DVD.

You'll love it
Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #34
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieduvet View Post
Yes chief, Ordered direct from Arrow. They always ship their titles early

Sound was fair, Not as good as the PQ but a huge jump over the quality of the DVD.

You'll love it
Just had a look on the Arrow site and the pre-order price was suprisingly low at 13.99. Zavvi have it at 19.99!!!!! Still I can wait till monday. I have been waiting for a really good copy of this for years plus the extras look pretty good too although the commentary track has come in for abit of criticism on a number of review sites. Just got to see how my 1999 Anchor Bay DVD fairs on Ebay now. No bids but five watchers. Pretty worthless now despite being OOP.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #35
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Another review for the Blu-ray: http://www.mondo-digital.com/thecar.html

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #36
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Quote:
Pretty worthless now despite being OOP

Until a Region A disc is released that AB DVD is still relevant I should think. There aren't that many people who are region-free and there's still a stigma around importing for some folks. Hell, I'm region free and still feel a bit uneasy about buying foreign discs.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #37
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Until a Region A disc is released that AB DVD is still relevant I should think. There aren't that many people who are region-free and there's still a stigma around importing for some folks. Hell, I'm region free and still feel a bit uneasy about buying foreign discs.
Why do you feel uneasy about buying discs from a different region if your region free?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #38
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Blu-ray.com review: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ca.../71495/#Review
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #39
dickieduvet
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
Why do you feel uneasy about buying discs from a different region if your region free?
Just what I was thinking!

I buy from just about everywhere that sells them, France, Germany, Japan, Spain, Italy, The Netherlands, US etc....

No stigma at all
Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #40
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post

Any time something is shipped from overseas there are more potential problems to worry about than there would be if I ordered from a stateside retailer. Thankfully I have only had one issue (customs hold) with an import so far, more a matter of inconvenience since it was something I wanted to get my hands on ASAP. I buy a lot of music, vinyl specifically, from Europe and I've had lots of problems. One record took 8 months(!) to get to me. The nature of being a collector I suppose.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #41
The Tall Man
Stalker

Stunning transfer on the Bluray. I could not believe how good it looked and the extra detail that was noticeable. The commentary track with director Elliot Silverstein has to be one of the most awkward I've ever heard. He has to be poked and prodded and even reminded he is being paid to do it just to talk at certain times. Informative, but frustrating to listen to at the same time I felt. Anyone who likes the movie will love this transfer, it's simply beautiful.
The Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #42
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Any time something is shipped from overseas there are more potential problems to worry about than there would be if I ordered from a stateside retailer. Thankfully I have only had one issue (customs hold) with an import so far, more a matter of inconvenience since it was something I wanted to get my hands on ASAP. I buy a lot of music, vinyl specifically, from Europe and I've had lots of problems. One record took 8 months(!) to get to me. The nature of being a collector I suppose.
Ok so if your talking vinyl then that maybe different as its more of a niche market and if not packaged well could become damaged if it is being sent long distances. I used to be a club DJ playing mostly house music in the 90s and early 2000s and would order vinyl from overseas with trepidation. As for DVDs/Blu rays I dont want to tempt fate but I have only had two problems from overseas sellers in all my years of importing. First was ordering through the now defunct Sazuma.com but their customer service always was abit hit and miss. The other was Fight For Your Life which i ordered from Amazon.com market place seller Caiman. When i said it hadnt arrived another was sent no problem. If you buy from reputable online sellers or from somewhere like Amazon market place or Ebay where you have abit of backup you shouldnt have any problems importing.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #43
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tall Man View Post
Stunning transfer on the Bluray. I could not believe how good it looked and the extra detail that was noticeable. The commentary track with director Elliot Silverstein has to be one of the most awkward I've ever heard. He has to be poked and prodded and even reminded he is being paid to do it just to talk at certain times. Informative, but frustrating to listen to at the same time I felt. Anyone who likes the movie will love this transfer, it's simply beautiful.
Couldnt agree more. Silverstein sounded as if he really didnt want to be there making this a very awkward listen and to be fair the moderator didnt always handle the cantankerous sounding guy at all well. I did give up listening as it was getting a little frustrating . The interview with the SFX artist on the other hand eas great. Oh I love the transfer. Detail.was remarkable as was depth in the wonderful panoramic shots of the gorgeous Utah locations and there was more in the frame than my old Anchor Bay DVD. Lossless audio was good too for a two channel stereo mix.