Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
msw7
Morso a morte

How often do you watch your videos?

DVDs, blus, laser discs, VHS tapes?

I noticed a few patterns in my viewing -
some movies I watch several times when I first buy it, then might not watch it again for years, if ever (Last House on the Left, for example)

some movies I watch once a year or so, but not more often than that (Groundhog Day, Bad Santa)

some movies I may watch occasionally, whenever the mood strikes me (Serenity, Re-animator)

others I rented or saw in the theater, and haven't yet watched the DVD I bought (The Fountain, The Fall).

How about youse guys, particularly those with very large collections (thousands of movies)? Do you mainly watch them or mainly collect them?
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
dave13
HackMaster

i have no kind of schedule for watching or rewatching films. for years i really avoided rewatching films, as i had so many that i hadn't watched at all. recently i've been mixing it up more, and i like that a lot - it makes my collection feel like its got a lot more practical value beyond just being a collection. however, i do have over a thousand films, so there are some i haven't watched in a decade, and may not watch for a while to come, either. but they're films i like, and i have no intention of getting rid of them.

right now i would say i rewatch a film from my "library" maybe once a week, and the other...3, 4, or 5 films i watch in a given week (i would estimate) are "new" viewings - i.e. films i've either never seen, or have not watched since i bought a copy.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

I do lots of rewatching. I'm currently going through my Blu-ray collection re-visiting titles I haven't seen since 2010/2011 (thank god for the "sort by recently watched" option at blu-ray.com).
Besides that I have my usual suspects I spin once a year. Jaws and Poltergeist are my summer movie season openers (though I already watched Poltergeist in April). Other once-a-year movies are Sole Survivor, Valley Girl, Sixteen Candles and/or The Breakfast Club, Prophecy, Terror at Tenkiller and/or The Last Slumber Party, Let's Scare Jessica to Death (in October) and more.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Since my (now) wife moved in with me I've tended to re-watch the cult classics (Re-Animator, Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead etc.). For a long time we never really got into the obscure movie because I never thought she would like them. Thankfully I was wrong and movies like Sleepaway Camp and Pieces are some of her favorites from my collection.

Now I'm back into watching that pile of movies in my collection that I have never seen with a small number of repeats in between. But there are definitely movies that are required yearly viewing for me such as Back to the Future and NOTLD.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Workshed
October!

I've whittled my collection down to the bare essentials, so I tend to rewatch once a year:

Waxwork/2
Ginger Snaps
The first two Underworlds
The Monster Squad
Evil Dead 2/AOD

With room for Dawn of the Dead (1978), Videodrome, Night of the Creeps, and other cheesy 80s-early 90s titles.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

I don't really have a schedule. Sometimes I'll smoke a bowl and suddenly have an urge to watch a specific film. I try to let a few years pass in between viewings so the film doesn't get stale.

Today, I think I'll give Bava's "Shock" a spin.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlockjock81 View Post
I don't really have a schedule. Sometimes I'll smoke a bowl and suddenly have an urge to watch a specific film. I try to let a few years pass in between viewings so the film doesn't get stale.

Today, I think I'll give Bava's "Shock" a spin.
I actually pulled that one out a few months ago, after being not all that impressed by it when I first bought it maybe 3 years ago. I liked it much more this second time.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
buck135
The Duke of New York

Blu-ray's that I buy usually get watched within a week, then they are off to the shelves. I watch NOTLD '68 probably five times a year. The Dark Knight films, Dawn of the Dead (1978), Bad Santa and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas get a spin probably three times a year. The rest I watch when the mood strikes me, or if the wife is in the mood for a particular type of film.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
russweiss
Maniac

I don't have any particular schedule other than Elf during December. I collect way more than I can reasonably watch and still have a full time job. A lot of what I collect is so that if the mood hits I can put the film on.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

I watch my movies constantly because television these days is ridiculously abhorrent. I swear to God when I was a kid we had like 8 channels and it was more entertaining than this shit that passes for TV nowadays. There are literally thousands of channels and 95% of it is less entertaining than watching a dog take a shit.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
russweiss
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
I watch my movies constantly because television these days is ridiculously abhorrent. I swear to God when I was a kid we had like 8 channels and it was more entertaining than this shit that passes for TV nowadays. There are literally thousands of channels and 95% of it is less entertaining than watching a dog take a shit.

How many films are in your collection? If I watched one movie a day it would take me over 7 years to watch everything in my collection. I agree with you on TV though. I wouldn't even bother with cable if it weren't for my wife and daughter.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
How many films are in your collection? If I watched one movie a day it would take me over 7 years to watch everything in my collection. I agree with you on TV though. I wouldn't even bother with cable if it weren't for my wife and daughter.
I have about 650-700 blu-rays and DVDs. I don't have a crazy collection, just the movies I feel are worth repeat viewings.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
shape22
HackMaster

I have a relatively large collection (I'd guess between 2 and 3,000 discs). Unfortunately I've never watched at least a hundred of them. I don't like to watch something I've never seen before unless I can give it my full attention. And most nights I'm too irritated from work to actually concentrate. So I end up watching replaying something familiar.

I really look forward to October and the Horror Digital marathons because I make time to blow through a large number of the flicks in my "need to watch" pile. Too bad there are 11 other months in the year.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #14
Spit
HackMaster

I don't have a huge collection, a few hundred maybe.

I go through phases were I'll rewatch 3 to 5 films a bunch of times across like a month period. I think I've seen It's Alive, Feast, and the 13th Warrior each like three or four times within the last four weeks, and I haven't watched any other films.

It seems kind of childish I guess, watching a movie then immediately rewinding it and watch it again. Whateves tho, it makes me happy.

When your a drug addict, its important to pace yourself -Bill
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
It seems kind of childish I guess, watching a movie then immediately rewinding it and watch it again. Whateves tho, it makes me happy.