Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #346
othervoice1
HackMaster

Quote:
gh. Why do studios entrust a new relatively unknown Director to make sequels/remakes in established horror franchises? Are horror movies the easiest to make? The Evil Dead's Fede Alvarez looks to be a filmmaker from Uruguay who's only done short films before; how'd he land the job in Hollywood for such a significant horror movie?
Well I personally thought Alvarez nailed it with Evil Dead so no complaints from me on that movie effort <:
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #347
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by othervoice1 View Post
Well I personally thought Alvarez nailed it with Evil Dead so no complaints from me on that movie effort <:

Same. I hope he gets to do the sequel.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #348
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Was in Best Buy earlier today for Upgrade & Save. I wasn't interested in picking up the Evil Dead remake, especially at full price because I thought it was kind of awful. But I did notice that it was entirely sold out. I was surprised.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #349
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Was in Best Buy earlier today for Upgrade & Save. I wasn't interested in picking up the Evil Dead remake, especially at full price because I thought it was kind of awful. But I did notice that it was entirely sold out. I was surprised.
It's only a surprise if you believe that they ever stocked more than a handful of copies to begin with. It's entirely possible that they either didn't, or they're still in a box in the back room because the employees at Best Buy are incompetent.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #350
othervoice1
HackMaster

Quote:
It's only a surprise if you believe that they ever stocked more than a handful of copies to begin with. It's entirely possible that they either didn't, or they're still in a box in the back room because the employees at Best Buy are incompetent.
Lol - that is so true
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #351
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

So, I haven't seen this and I haven't read much of any reviews or spoilers on it. Is it worth buying or should I wait for the unrated version or something?
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #352
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
So, I haven't seen this and I haven't read much of any reviews or spoilers on it. Is it worth buying or should I wait for the unrated version or something?
Rent or borrow first if you can, you'll either love it or hate it.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #353
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Rent or borrow first if you can, you'll either love it or hate it.
Agreed! I thought it was very uninspired but some loved it.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #354
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Agreed! I thought it was very uninspired but some loved it.
I hated it and so did the person I saw it with, it's a gorefest no doubt, but without compelling characters it was a waste of time for me.
My friend actually muttered under his breath 'Will this bitch stay dead so we can go home?' at one point and though I tried to remain diplomatic I felt the same.
When I see a film in theaters that leaves me cold I usually try to re-visit at least once to give it the benefit of the doubt, no need here, this remake was everything I hate bout remakes and re-imaginings.
Visually impressive but hollow.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #355
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
I hated it and so did the person I saw it with, it's a gorefest no doubt, but without compelling characters it was a waste of time for me.
My friend actually muttered under his breath 'Will this bitch stay dead so we can go home?' at one point and though I tried to remain diplomatic I felt the same.
When I see a film in theaters that leaves me cold I usually try to re-visit at least once to give it the benefit of the doubt, no need here, this remake was everything I hate bout remakes and re-imaginings.
Visually impressive but hollow.
The characters were not compelling and I don't think the gore was either. When I think of Evil Dead, I think of a kinda kinetic zaniness and this just did not have that. It was too serious and that made it boring because like you said, the characters were not compelling enough for the serious tone.
Spoiler:
Omg, look at the nails flying in his face! Now she's cutting off her arm, Oh no a tongue is being cut! Maybe I expect too much but it takes a lot more than that to impress me. I found the demonic behavior bland and thought it was poor writing to have each character be attacked by one demon at a time so the scenarios never get too complicated.
Much like you, I just sat there and felt deattached from the whole experience.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #356
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
I loved it, but I rarely suggest blind-buying anything.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #357
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Thanks for the feedback. I always try to stay away from blind buying new films. For example I was looking to buy The Cabin in the Woods on a blind buy because there was so much praise for it. Then when I finally saw it I thought it was stupid and forgot about it. I fear that I might have the same experience with the new Evil Dead.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #358
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Fuck, I had a big long list of complaints I had with this remake, but when I went to post them, the board was inaccessible,... I hit the back button and everything I typed was completely gone. And I don't think this film warrants the time and energy to type it up again.

I'll just say it was awful...and I am thankful I didn't have to pay to watch it.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #359
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Finally watched this over the weekend.

Overall, I just couldn't get into it. The effects were really well done. And I sort of liked the way it twisted and nodded towards the original. The "cold turkey" aspect was very clever, and did a good job of keeping them in the cabin. I will bet that it would have been a lot more fun to see in a theater where I could have at least had the benefit of hearing the audience reactions.

But, I felt the characters were distant and hard to get involved with. Acting was mediocre most of the time, with the main male lead being pretty bad. I really thought that they could have used a bit more humor. Not necessarily in a slapstick (Evil Dead 2) sort of way, but just that showing a lighter side of the characters themselves would have gone a long way to getting me to care about them a bit more. I get that the whole situation for them all was heavy from the beginning, but a bit of levity or playfulness in their early interactions would have really helped me care for them as characters. As it is, they all came off as detached fodder for the effects.

The score was terrible. Just terrible. I really think they should have gone with something more avant-garde and aggressive, like they did with the trailer. I can't stress how much this pulled me out of the film other than to just say "terrible" a bunch more times. Terrible terrible terrible...

In the end, I found the whole thing to be fairly unnecessary. They may have improved on the original in terms of effects, but they also lost a lot of the other strengths that the original had going for it. Mainly, they lost a lot of the originality.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #360
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I've watched it multiple times now. I was a little let down the first time I saw it (the red band trailer pretty much spoiled all the goods) but I've really grown to love it and it has become one of my favorite remakes.