Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #826
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Caught Stoker last night. Chan-wook Park's North American debut is a powerhouse mystery whose labyrinthian sense of foreboding atmosphere entangles in an almost fairy tale-esque manner combining family rivalry and India's coming-of-age in a spider's web of deceit, broken truths, and self-discovery. Masterfully told through use of various styles of camera work, from smooth flowing Steadicam work to unnerving handheld and zooms and pans, as well as sound design and score, Stoker is an astutely assured work of art, so meticulously crafted and detailed, this three-dimensional puzzle will have audiences on edge and enveloped in it's grandeur. Performances find the right balance of hidden agenda and theatrical madness at just the right moments. A master film from a master director who has set his footprint on foreign soil.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #827
dave13
HackMaster

My wife and I saw Iron Man 3 tonight. I feel no shame in saying that i've been enjoying the summer superhero films we've been having lately. The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises were both a lot of fun last year. My expectations for this one were a little muted, though. After seeing it, I'm having a really hard time deciding how I feel about it. Outside of The Incredible Hulk, this is without a doubt the weakest of the Avengers films. But it still accomplishes what it aims for, though. The funny scenes are, indeed, funny, and the action scenes are appropriately thrilling. But ultimately I still feel pretty disappointed by what it seemed like it could have been, but ultimately wasn't.

(fair warning, the spoilers below are real spoilers - I'm talking about the end of the film and various other big revelations here)
Spoiler:
There were a few issues I had, like the the lack of Iron Man screen time, and the presence of the kid sidekick, and the ridiculous regenerating people that felt completely out of place in the universe established in the first two (I know that this exists in the same universe as the avengers and all that aliens/gods/monsters business, but Iron Man was always more grounded, and this just felt a bit too silly). But I could have gotten past all of those, were it not for the fact that the villain we are given is in no way shape or form as interesting as the villain we are promised. I wanted to see Ben Kingsley's Mandarin. That's what I wanted. He was menacing, he was evil, he was clouded in mystery and had a gravitas and presence that was really arresting. And then its all wasted on a cheap joke, which has been done before. Guy Pierce claiming he's "the real mandarin" at the end just doesn't cut it. No, he's not the mandarin. He's a crazy regenerating scientist. I really, really wanted to see Iron Man take on Ben Kingsley's Mandarin. I was really bummed out by that. I suppose its a credit to all the actors involved that I was able to get over that disappointment and still relatively enjoy the movie. It's still not a bad movie, by any means. But it's disappointing because there was a much, much better movie to be had there.

ok, now on to Star Trek. Hopefully that turns out a little more satisfying.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #828
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
My wife and I saw Iron Man 3 tonight. I feel no shame in saying that i've been enjoying the summer superhero films we've been having lately. The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises were both a lot of fun last year. My expectations for this one were a little muted, though. After seeing it, I'm having a really hard time deciding how I feel about it. Outside of The Incredible Hulk, this is without a doubt the weakest of the Avengers films. But it still accomplishes what it aims for, though. The funny scenes are, indeed, funny, and the action scenes are appropriately thrilling. But ultimately I still feel pretty disappointed by what it seemed like it could have been, but ultimately wasn't.

(fair warning, the spoilers below are real spoilers - I'm talking about the end of the film and various other big revelations here)
Spoiler:
There were a few issues I had, like the the lack of Iron Man screen time, and the presence of the kid sidekick, and the ridiculous regenerating people that felt completely out of place in the universe established in the first two (I know that this exists in the same universe as the avengers and all that aliens/gods/monsters business, but Iron Man was always more grounded, and this just felt a bit too silly). But I could have gotten past all of those, were it not for the fact that the villain we are given is in no way shape or form as interesting as the villain we are promised. I wanted to see Ben Kingsley's Mandarin. That's what I wanted. He was menacing, he was evil, he was clouded in mystery and had a gravitas and presence that was really arresting. And then its all wasted on a cheap joke, which has been done before. Guy Pierce claiming he's "the real mandarin" at the end just doesn't cut it. No, he's not the mandarin. He's a crazy regenerating scientist. I really, really wanted to see Iron Man take on Ben Kingsley's Mandarin. I was really bummed out by that. I suppose its a credit to all the actors involved that I was able to get over that disappointment and still relatively enjoy the movie. It's still not a bad movie, by any means. But it's disappointing because there was a much, much better movie to be had there.

ok, now on to Star Trek. Hopefully that turns out a little more satisfying.
I would say I am a fairly big comic book fan, even though I don't read as much now as I used to, but what they did with
Spoiler:
Mandarin
was insulting, it just ruined the movie for me. How they could take a character like that
Spoiler:
Pretty much what the Joker is to Batman
and totally bastardize him was unforgivable. It's too bad as like you said, they set him up so well. The first half of the movie is actually really good but then it all just falls apart. The volcanic bad guys were really lame in my opinion, and don't even get me started on Gwyneth Paltrow at the end. This was my least favourite movie of the Marvel films, and I would go as far as to say that it sits up there with X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3 as the movie to kill my interest in the series.

I have always been a Marvel fan but I have to admit, I will take what DC is doing with the Nolan Batman flicks and the upcoming Superman (Which looks amazing!) over the popcorn flicks that Marvel is putting out. It seems like Marvel is more worried about selling toys then putting out films with any substance behind them. Again, it's hard saying that being a Marvel fan, and I'm excited to see how they handle Guardians of the Galaxy, but to me they are all just starting to blend together as movies with great CGI and action scenes but not much else. It didn't help Iron Man 3 that we just seen the Avengers a year ago. I'm not a fan of Superman at all really, but they have sold me on that film. Its trailers alone deliver more emotion and substance then all of Iron Man 3.

I would love to see Marvel go the more serious route with some of their street level characters such as Daredevil, Punisher, Blade, Ghost Rider, ect. now that they got the rights to them back. Deliver something that has something to say, that you can talk about afterwards instead of trying to make a movie for kids. Obviously with how much money Iron Man 3 has made that probably won't happen, but it would sure be nice considering these days comics are more read by people my age then kids.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #829
dave13
HackMaster

I'm not a comic fan at all, really. comic book movies i enjoy, but i was never able to get into comics as a kid (i literally was not able to - i lived in a small town, and the local grocery stores would never stock consecutive issues of anything, ever. for about a year, when i was 7 or 8 i tried to buy comic books with my allowance, but reading every 4th or 5th issue made it impossible to follow any of the stories or develope a love of the medium). but i agree with pretty much everything you said. about Iron Man, the volcanic villains, and paltrow at the end. i also hated the narration. 9 times out of 10 its a device used to hide weak storytelling, and this was no exception. i was not impressed by what happens at the end with stark's chest-magnet thing, either. lame.

i'm also not much of a fan of superman (an all-powerful god as a superhero...not much possibility of dramatic threat there), but i too am interested in man of steel.

i'm alright with marvel sticking to the avengers right now, though. 2 or 3 superhero movies a year is enough, i think.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #830
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Gave The Possession (2012) a spin, and the performances and visuals were very cool. Why doesn't Jeffrey Dean Morgan get more work? He's an enjoyable actor with a lot of charm. But neither he, the children, nor a rubbery-faced Kyra Sedgwick could do much with the story, which was such standard fare that I kept drifting away from the film. We've seen this all before--someone finds an object, opens it, evil escapes, possesses, person acts strange, no one believes the one guy who suspects the truth. Blah. Plus, the script didn't even bother to explore any sort of origin for the demon.

Good-looking boredom.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #831
msw7
Morso a morte

Workshed - glad to see you also enjoyed Orange is the New Black (found your post in the film tracker thread via forum search). I watched that series last weekend and thought it was one of the best seasons of any show I've seen recently.

Also, if the last shot of the last episode

Spoiler:
isn't a nod to the ending of the original Hills Have Eyes, then I don't know what would be
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #832
allmessedup
It's beer time.

HANSEL AND GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS is really stupid, but I at least found it entertaining in its stupidity.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #833
russweiss
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmessedup View Post
HANSEL AND GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS is really stupid, but I at least found it entertaining in its stupidity.
Perhaps you had too much to drink before watching the film.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #834
indrid13
Stalker

Cutter's Way. A cool little crime drama with Jeff Bridges and John Heard. At it's heart a very cynical film dealing with three very broken people dealing with the mystery of a murdered girl. I liked the fact that it was more about the characters and less who the killer was.

My Blog
My DVDs
indrid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #835
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
Workshed - glad to see you also enjoyed Orange is the New Black (found your post in the film tracker thread via forum search). I watched that series last weekend and thought it was one of the best seasons of any show I've seen recently.

Also, if the last shot of the last episode

Spoiler:
isn't a nod to the ending of the original Hills Have Eyes, then I don't know what would be
Ha! Wow, good call. I didn't think of that. I really, really liked that show--thought it was better than the new Arrested Development episodes.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #836
DVD-fanatic-9
Everyone Else's Hobby

Too lazy to fetch poster and all that, but. Re-watched Night of the Creeps.

And, this is rare, but I was wrong. It's actually better than I remember it. Enough for me to bump it up from a 5/10 to a 6.5/10. I'm still not exactly a fan and Bud the Chud and Video Dead are still superior. But it moves better with the DVD remaster, decent score/soundtrack (Jane Wiedlin- didn't recognize her but the credits informed me), great special effects, and Tom Atkins is much better than I remember him. I remembered him speaking in one-liners and quirky phrases the whole movie long. I somehow got that completely ass-backwards. I still don't like "thrill me" but I barely noticed it after the first time.

And, why can't J.C. get a girl? He's actually one of the more attractive men in the movie. Most of "the girls' dates" in the movie look like 30-something, beer-gutty, hairy Uncles. The ladies on this campus are obviously not that picky.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #837
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Too lazy to fetch poster and all that, but. Re-watched Night of the Creeps.

And, this is rare, but I was wrong. It's actually better than I remember it. Enough for me to bump it up from a 5/10 to a 6.5/10. I'm still not exactly a fan and Bud the Chud and Video Dead are still superior. But it moves better with the DVD remaster, decent score/soundtrack (Jane Wiedlin- didn't recognize her but the credits informed me), great special effects, and Tom Atkins is much better than I remember him. I remembered him speaking in one-liners and quirky phrases the whole movie long. I somehow got that completely ass-backwards. I still don't like "thrill me" but I barely noticed it after the first time.

And, why can't J.C. get a girl? He's actually one of the more attractive men in the movie. Most of "the girls' dates" in the movie look like 30-something, beer-gutty, hairy Uncles. The ladies on this campus are obviously not that picky.
I haven't seen Bud the Chud yet, but Video Dead, come on now!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #838
DVD-fanatic-9
Everyone Else's Hobby

Hey, the transfer in that Lionsgate 8-pack might be in widescreen (it's been almost a year since I've seen it), so you should have no excuse to stop you from buying it. (And you get 976-Evil 2 which I love, so what are you waiting for?)

I have it on good authority that every person who dislikes The Video Dead is a drooling vegetable of one variety or another. It's charming, clever, intelligent, well-written, resourceful, unpredictable, and surreal.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #839
dave13
HackMaster

i worked my way through the Vampires, Mummies, and Monsters release from Shout! Factory's sadly concluded Roger Corman's Cult Classics line.

The Velvet Vampire - nice to see Celeste Yarnall after enjoying her in Beast of Blood. And Michael Blodgett, after recently watching Beyond the Valley of the Dolls for the first time ("You're a goddamn UGLY broad, Barzell!"). I was happily entertained by it, even though its a little languidly paced. I've lost count of just how many different adaptations of Le Fanu's Carmilla I've seen now. But yeah, this was decent.

Lady Frankenstein - this was the real surprise of this collection. Joesph Cotton is always great, but the lovely Rosalba Neri was what really made this one. She's pretty stunningly beautiful, but she's also got quite a strong screen presence. i liked the gothic atmosphere a lot, and it actually felt like a hammer film in a lot of places. the makeup on the creature is kind of silly, but on the whole i really enjoyed the movie a lot.

Grotesque - this was another surprise, although a bad one. what a weird, pointless, schizophrenic movie. is it a home invasion movie? a monster on the loose movie? a manhunt movie? a police procedural? its everything! and it's "star" linda blair is only in it for about 30 minutes of screen time...if that! i dunno if the poor presentation made a difference...some of the scenes at the end make me think this was originally shot widescreen. but i kind of doubt that better A/V quality would improve this film. there were a few decent images, i must admit - some of the shots of people running through the snow looked really evocative, but that's about the best thing I can say about this. oh, and it was neat to see Robert Z'dar in a small role - there's no mistaking that jawline.

Time Walker - this was entertaining, but terminally goofy, despite how seriously it takes itself - i can understand why it was run through the MST3K wringer, especially after the whopper of an ending
Spoiler:
"To be continued..." indeed! Anybody know the story behind that? Was it supposed to be the first in a long line of alien mummy movies?

Anyway, a mixed bag, but a lot of fun. Really a shame that the Cult Classics line is over. Scream Factory has certainly made up for it, but I can't help but wish we'd seen just a few more of these releases.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #840
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Ha! Wow, good call. I didn't think of that. I really, really liked that show--thought it was better than the new Arrested Development episodes.
I thought it worked well for her character arc too. And yeah, as much as I did like the new Arrested Development episodes (some classic moments), Orange is the New Black was better for me too.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote