Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #2896
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Psycho III is gonna have a commentary!:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=276

Last edited by Nailwraps; 07-25-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #2897
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Psycho II is gonna have a commentary!:
I know most of you were only interested in the announced titles (and disappointed with the titles that were announced), but Comic-Con panels are more than just press releases. They're discussions about the business, the hoops they have to jump through to get licenses, etc. Of course, they talked about the difficulty of finding people for bonus material. They compared it to current movies, where the Blu-Ray extras are done while the film is in production, vs. older movies where they have to reach out to people for something they did 30 or more years ago. It's not quite as easy.

After the Scream Factory talk, Adrienne Barbeau came on and talked a lot about her memories of making those genre films (mostly talking about Creepshow, The Fog, and Swamp Thing), and it was really cool as she told funny stories and doesn't appear to regret that part of her career one bit (bonus tidbit: she has never drank alcohol, so playing the part of Billie in Creepshow was a real stretch).

Anyway, while I too found the upcoming title announcements pretty uninspiring, it was still enjoyable to hear them talk for an hour about what it is they have to do, and the difficulties of being a company that specializes in older films (just an FYI, at another panel, I saw Leonard Maltin talk about Hollywood history, how they used to consider films "disposable", and never saw the reason for retaining old prints and negatives. So companies like SF really are facing an uphill battle most of the time).

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #2898
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that Shout! has, in a sense, nowhere to go but down in terms of the titles available for them for licensing, due to the fact that they have already released or announced many of the movies that fans wanted most. They've already gone through the Corman and Universal catalogs and released the most desirable (and many of the less desirable) cult holdings therein, and now they are working on picking the MGM catalog down to the bones. Eventually all they'll be left with is crap, sort of like how Anchor Bay, once they had licensed all the Fulci and Argento films that were worth bothering with, were releasing Bruno Mattei movies to fill the Eurohorror niche they had made for themselves.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #2899
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Review for A Boy and His Dog Blu-ray + DVD Combo: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/boyanddogbluray.php

This one should be a momentous A/V upgrade from the old DVD editions.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #2900
spawningblue
Deadite

I have to admit, these announcements were a big disappointment to me. If they just a announced them out of nowhere I'd probably be happy, but they hyped them up for weeks now.

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) - The Image release apparently already looks great and has some decent extras so this probably isn't a big deal to most. That being said, I almost bought this on Fri., as it's one of the few Carpenter releases I still need to get on Blu-ray only to find out it's OOP and sells for $50+, so this is an exciting release for me. I'm sure Scream will include some great extras and hopefully all the previous extras.

Nightbreed (1990) - I already talked about this in its respective thread. It's exciting but until we see what the added footage looks like and what extras they include, as well as whether they will include the theatrical cut who knows how it will turn out. Plus we already knew this was coming so it's not that big of a surprise, other then the fact that Scream is releasing it which is a good thing. A big title and a big release in the end though.

Cat People (1982) - I haven't seen this but many seem to be excited about it so I'm sure I'll pick it up.

Darkman (1990) - I already have this on Blu-ray and I don't think it's even that good. Being a Raimi title I know I'll upgrade it though, hopefully Scream delivers some worthy extras. Not one I'm excited for though.

Eve of Destruction (1991) - Never heard of it. It looks okay.

Saturn 3 (1980) - Never heard of it. Doesn't look very good.

Terror on TV: The Initiation of Sarah / Are You In the House Alone DVD - Glad to see Scream has decided to give some TV horror movies a chance even though Cliff has stated they don't sell very well. I haven't heard of any of these, but Initiation looks like it could be good. Are You in the House Alone looks and sounds pretty bad though, doesn't even sound like a horror movie. I am surprised this is the best TV movie they could get? Not the best way to start out a hopeful new line with is it?

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #2901
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Cat People (1982) is indeed a very good film.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #2902
RickMoe
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Saturn 3 (1980) - Never heard of it. Doesn't look very good.
Pfft, you crazy man. SATURN 3 is like PSYCHO in space!

The music is totally awesome. The special effects are pretty mediocre in places (obvious minature spaceships on occasion) but the robot is killer and there's a hefty amount of gore. Plus it's Farrah's first nude scene - how can you go wrong?!?

Last edited by RickMoe; 07-23-2013 at 11:34 PM.
RickMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #2903
Matt89
HackMaster

Not gonna lie, I'm kiiiinda sold on Saturn 3 already hahaha

Psycho in space? Sweet mother of fuck hell yes.

~Matt
Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #2904
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Cat People (1982) is indeed a very good film.
Definitely....Cat People is probably the title I am most excited for aside from the Nightbreed BD. One of the best synth scores from the 80's.

I can't understand why everyone is so down on Shout!'s recent title reveal. Aside from Assault on Precinct 13, I think this slate of releases is great.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #2905
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Psycho II is gonna have a commentary!:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=276
Checking the link it looks to be a commentary for Psycho III by it's writer.
Egg_Shen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #2906
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMoe View Post
Pfft, you crazy man. SATURN 3 is like PSYCHO in space!

The music is totally awesome. The special effects are pretty mediocre in places (obvious minature spaceships on occasion) but the robot is killer and there's a hefty amount of gore. Plus it's Farrah's first nude scene - how can you go wrong?!?
Don't you worry, I'll pick it up like I do all Scream's releases and give it a chance. The trailer just didn't look too good to me. Why the hell is the robots head so damn small, it doesn't make it look very menacing.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 07-24-2013 at 05:23 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #2907
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

Cat People on Blu-Ray. I'm all over this. I can let go of my DVD. Me, my brother, and our Mom, who was the coolest Mom in the world, we all three saw Cat People in the theaters in 1982. My Mom passed away, it will be 16 years ago, on August 6th, and she would always, every weekend, take us to the movies, from about 1977 through 1985, and during that time, we saw alot of horror films in that time frame, because my mom was a huge horror fan. I now have my mom's name tattooed on my arm, Cheryl, because Ellen Sandweiss signed her name below her tattoo as possessed "Cheryl" The others, not sure if I will get or not. Darkman I already own on Blu-Ray, and rather enjoy it very much. Not sure if I want to double dip or not.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #2908
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

From Scream Factory's Facebook Page:

"**BREAKING: Final List of Extras for John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS on DVD or Blu-ray 9/24!**

- Audio Commentary with John Carpenter
- Sympathy For The Devil – An all-new Interview with Writer/Director John Carpenter
- Alice at the Apocalypse - An all-new interview with Actor & Rock Legend Alice Cooper
- The Messenger – All-new interview with Actor & Special Visual Effects Supervisor Robert Grasmere
- Hell On Earth –A look at the film’s score with Co-Composer Alan Howarth
- Horror’s Hallowed Grounds with host Sean Clark
- Alternate Opening from TV Version
- Original Theatrical Trailer"

Very excited about picking this up.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #2909
Stige
HackMaster

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but I agree with Shout Factory. Just skipped through the fog and the screenshots posted elsewhere TRULY didn't do the disc justice.
It looks great!
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #2910
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Commentary for Psycho III announced!:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=13578
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote