Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #91
Paff

Finally. Was able to find some decent prices on Creepy/Eerie Archives at Comic-Con. Not at the Dark Horse Booth, you can believe that. But I found a couple independent dealers. One was doing 25% off hardcovers, which isn't bad, but isn't great either. A few booths down though, someone had 50% off. Now we're talkin'!

So I got Creepy Archives #13, and the collections of Bernie Wrightson and Richard Corben. Really good stuff. I might get one or two more on Sunday if there's still some left, but they do get heavy in my messenger bag.

Then, I attended the Creepy/Eerie panel later in the afternoon. Nothing earth-shattering, except they did show a "sizzle reel" of Chris Columbus' planned Creepy movie(s). It looks pretty good, although it's really just a lot of effects shots in order to get a movie greenlit. We're still a good 2 years away from actually seeing one. They claimed a release date of July 2016, but it was quite clear they were just screwing around with the date. I think they said July 11, who knows if that even falls on a Friday.

Anyway, I got some good reading ahead of me....and it's only the first day of Con!

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #92
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Awesome, Paff! That Corben collection is especially good.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #93
msw7
Morso a morte

Thanks for the update Paff - I've really started to get interested in those artists - I bought Dark Horse's Frankenstein with the Wrightson images a few years ago. it's a cool book.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #94
Paff

Bought one more Creepy Archive today, #12. I was tempted to get #10 too, but I passed. I figured five Creepy-related purchases was enough for one weekend. Summing up I got:
Creepy Archive #12
Creepy Archive #13
Creepy - Best of Bernie Wrightson
Creepy - Best of Richard Corben
Creepy #10 (Dark Horse reboot )

$80 total. Not bad.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #95
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Bought one more Creepy Archive today, #12. I was tempted to get #10 too, but I passed. I figured five Creepy-related purchases was enough for one weekend. Summing up I got:
Creepy Archive #12
Creepy Archive #13
Creepy - Best of Bernie Wrightson
Creepy - Best of Richard Corben
Creepy #10 (Dark Horse reboot )

$80 total. Not bad.
damn that's a good price!
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #96
Paff

Really enjoying some of these Creepy books. Some of the stories are really dark and nasty, far more extreme than that Eerie Archive I bought a couple of years ago.

Also had no idea that the Dario Argento-directed episode of Masters of Horror, Jenifer, was based on a story that appeared in Creepy.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #97
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:

Also had no idea that the Dario Argento-directed episode of Masters of Horror, Jenifer, was based on a story that appeared in Creepy.
Yep, awesome trivia!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #98
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Yep, awesome trivia!
Anyone know if it was ever published as a short story, or only written for Creepy? That would be kind of cool if it's only appeared in Creepy, and in Argento's MoH episode.

I haven't cracked the cover of the Corben or Wrightson best-ofs, yet. I'm sort of saving them for later, as I know they'll be good stories all the way through since they're hand-picked. The Archives are basically just reprints of the original issues, and sometimes there's some pretty weak entries (like any anthology collection)

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 08-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #99
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
Anyone know if it was ever published as a short story, or only written for Creepy? That would be kind of cool if it's only appeared in Creepy, and in Argento's MoH episode.

I haven't cracked the cover of the Corben or Wrightson best-ofs, yet. I'm sort of saving them for later, as I know they'll be good stories all the way through since they're hand-picked. The Archives are basically just reprints of the original issues, and sometimes there's some pretty weak entries (like any anthology collection)
quick wiki check says:

Quote:
"Jenifer" is adapted from a 10-page black-and-white comic book story, written by Bruce Jones and illustrated by Berni Wrightson, that originally appeared in issue #63 (July 1974) of the horror anthology title Creepy.[1]
I cannot find any info stating that the comic is adapted from a prose work. Would love to read if it were!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #100
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Good call-out for Eerie Vol. 14, which releases this week:

Quote:
Eerie Archives Vol. 14: This newest Warren magazine collection from Dark Horse warrants some caution; insofar as issues #65-69 of the original run are collected, a solid 1/5 of the content in here is replicated from the publisher’s Eerie Presents El Cid hardcover from last year, which picked up all the bits & pieces of a Gonzalo Mayo-illustrated fantasy series, while a not inconsiderable portion of the rest is Paul Neary Hunter material, which Dark Horse has also given its own collection. That said, you will find a good 20 pages of Alex Toth in here, along with some prime Josť Ortiz, and a smattering of Esteban Maroto and Berni Wrightson, the latter via his classic The Muck Monster; $49.99.
Via TCJ

As I own both the El Cid and Hunter collections, this volume isn't as exciting to me.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #101
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

After I found out that the Jenifer story was adapted I tracked down the original issue on Ebay and got it cheap.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote