Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Blackout (1985)

Search option didn't show any threads unless the title was spelled Black Out.
Anyway, this was a first time viewing. I've knew about this movie for ages but for some reason I never got around watching it until yesterday.
Above average Police/Crime/Serial Killer/Domestic "Slasher" made for TV, with lots of twists and turns down the road. Enjoyed it.

One thing I noticed (not sure if this was ever mentioned before), The Stepfather was obviously inspired by Blackout. Lots of similarities there (new husband/false identity, foggy bathroom mirror scene, autumn leaves/setting etc).

Was Blackout ever released to DVD?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
Was Blackout ever released to DVD?
No North American DVD release, but it did get a DVD release in the Netherlands but as to it's "legitimacy" I can't say...

I definitely remember that VHS cover, but never did get around to renting it. My friend has the tape, so it's on my borrow list.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
horrorscreamer
Victim

The Dutch DVD is sourced from VHS with hardcoded dutch subtitles so not worth importing.
horrorscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Erick H.
HackMaster

Did this star Kieth Carradine and Richard Widmark ?
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick H. View Post
Did this star Kieth Carradine and Richard Widmark ?
Yes, both of them.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Looks like Troma owns the rights.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Erick H.
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Yes, both of them.
Thanks,I remember this one,good film !
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Looks like Troma owns the rights.
Yikes. Why?
I'm pretty sure this was meant to be shown in widescreen as well, because there's a boom mike visible in several shots. Since Troma owns the rights I guess we won't be seeing this in widescreen for some time.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
Yikes. Why?
I'm pretty sure this was meant to be shown in widescreen as well, because there's a boom mike visible in several shots. Since Troma owns the rights I guess we won't be seeing this in widescreen for some time.
And Troma have gone M.O.D. DVD-R now also, so we'd be lucky to get a pressed DVD release.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

^ Unless maybe their recent deal with Vinegar Syndrome gives them access to it? Fingers crossed.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
And Troma have gone M.O.D. DVD-R now also, so we'd be lucky to get a pressed DVD release.
Even with blurays (if they're still doing those)? What's the difference with pressed discs and dvd-r's anyway?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Even with blurays (if they're still doing those)? What's the difference with pressed discs and dvd-r's anyway?
No, not Blu-rays – just DVD's.

They've released a couple dozen DVD-R's like Crystal Force, The Curse of Bigfoot, Jurassic Women, Preacherman, etc..

...and also released most of the ones that were in those old Toxie's Triple Terror sets and the Troma Triple B-Header sets.

The difference between pressed DVD's and DVD-R's is that pressed DVD's are just that, "pressed" or mechanically stamped with the data on the actual plastic layers.

DVD-R's only have a dye layer, which you'll see as blue or purple. The data is "burned" onto the dye for the laser to read, and thus can have a shorter lifespan. That's also how you can rewrite data on DVD-RW discs. That's impossible for pressed discs though, since the data is pressed in physically and can't be erased on the fly. It's basically the same exact process with pressed CD's and CD-R's, and Blu-rays and BD-R's.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
No, not Blu-rays just DVD's.

They've released a couple dozen DVD-R's like Crystal Force, The Curse of Bigfoot, Jurassic Women, Preacherman, etc..

...and also released most of the ones that were in those old Toxie's Triple Terror sets and the Troma Triple B-Header sets.

The difference between pressed DVD's and DVD-R's is that pressed DVD's are just that, "pressed" or mechanically stamped with the data on the actual plastic layers.

DVD-R's only have a dye layer, which you'll see as blue or purple. The data is "burned" onto the dye for the laser to read, and thus can have a shorter lifespan. That's also how you can rewrite data on DVD-RW discs. That's impossible for pressed discs though, since the data is pressed in physically and can't be erased on the fly. It's basically the same exact process with pressed CD's and CD-R's, and Blu-rays and BD-R's.
Didn't know that, thanks! So Dvd-r's are more cost effective, but also more time consuming if you have to make a lot of copies right?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Didn't know that, thanks! So Dvd-r's are more cost effective, but also more time consuming if you have to make a lot of copies right?
I think most places use professional grade DVD-R burners, especially Warner Archives. You can buy some that can burn a bunch of copies at one time, so I'm sure places like Amazon also use those for their M.O.D. stuff.

But yeah, if you're just doing it on a home PC...it can become time consuming.

So far, most of the Troma DVD-R's are only sold on Amazon it looks like. Troma doesn't list them for sale on their website, but they are definitely official licensed releases...even with Lloyd "intros" on the discs.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
I think most places use professional grade DVD-R burners, especially Warner Archives. You can buy some that can burn a bunch of copies at one time, so I'm sure places like Amazon also use those for their M.O.D. stuff.

But yeah, if you're just doing it on a home PC...it can become time consuming.

So far, most of the Troma DVD-R's are only sold on Amazon it looks like. Troma doesn't list them for sale on their website, but they are definitely official licensed releases...even with Lloyd "intros" on the discs.
Cool, thank for the info. I didn't know that either.

It's interesting that they're only for sale at Amazon. Wonder why Troma doesn't have those titles on their site either?