Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Captain Chaos
Victim

Project Drive-In: SAVE THE DRIVE-INS!

Don't know if youse all have heard about this, but Honda is running a contest in the US that will award digital projection systems to 5 Drive-Ins, based on votes cast by the public online. The majority of existing Drive-Ins
face closure in the immediate future due to the forced conversion from 35mm to digital projection (estimated at $70-$100,000 per screen) with the phasing out of film prints by the studios. Most can't come close to being
able to afford this, and are likely to end their decades-long operations at the end of this summer.

You can vote once per day, per computer on www.projectdrivein.com, and help your (or someone's) favorite Drive-In continue to thrive and survive into the future.

I've been splitting by votes between several that I know and love:

The Northfield Drive-In in Winchester, NH (built on the border of New Hampshire and Massachusetts, with the border running through the projection booth, done that way to avoid projectionist union costs, so that the
projectionist actually stands in the "cheaper" state) - this is my "local" Drive-In and has been in operation for 60+ years.

The Riverside Drive-In in Vandergrift, PA - This Drive-In hosts the annual Drive-In Super Monster-rama film marathons, featuring vintage 35mm prints of Hammer, AIP and other classic horror films, with vintage trailers
between features and an amazing retro snack bar, complete with Evel Kneivel pinball machine. Tom Savini and Doug Bradley have attended the last two years, just as fans like the rest of us. The Riverside has announced
that if they can't raise the funds for digital conversion, this will be their final season. They've also said that if they can convert, they'll maintain their 35mm setup as well, so events like Monster-rama can continue as-is into
the future.

The Fairlee Motel & Drive-In in Fairlee, Vermont - One of the rare species of motel/Drive-Ins, where the rooms in the motel have picture windows that face the Drive-In screen, with speakers in the room that feed in the
film sound. Used to go there when I was in high school and loved the rural, friendly atmosphere.

The Hi-Way Drive-In in Coxsackie, NY - A 4-screen Drive-In that runs the best double features of contemporary films I've seen (Hollywood stuff, but well paired), and hosted an all-night marathon of Italian zombie films
that I attended last year that was a blast. They have a great retro snack bar, and in no way can afford to convert 4 screens at $100,000 per.

There's only 16 days left in this campaign, so spread the word and vote vote vote! Even if you don't have a horse in this race, a quick click or two per day will help the proud tradition of the Drive-In survive for 5 lucky communities.
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
X-human
I ate my keys

As a matter of fact...

But thanks for the bump, the closest one to me isn't listed... Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!

So many suggestions, I'll have to find a way to spread the love. It's unfortunate that it took the Japanese to think of this. It's should almost be a crime that an American car company hasn't already.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Captain Chaos
Victim

Oops!

Sorry to be "that guy"...I did a search and didn't see an existing thread. Dopey me.
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
As a matter of fact...

But thanks for the bump, the closest one to me isn't listed... Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!

So many suggestions, I'll have to find a way to spread the love. It's unfortunate that it took the Japanese to think of this. It's should almost be a crime that an American car company hasn't already.
If it's Cascade in West Chicago, they probably aren't listed because they just upgraded to digital projection this year.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
othervoice1
HackMaster

I voted for the one close to me in Huntington IN - thanks for the link I didnt know about this
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
If it's Cascade in West Chicago, they probably aren't listed because they just upgraded to digital projection this year.
As a matter of fact...

I've still yet to go, I haven't found a double feature I've liked enough to justify going. Except this one time, but I'd already seen one of them.

But as they say in Chicago, "Vote early, vote often."

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Erick H.
HackMaster

I voted for the Riverside,always wanted to get there for Monsterama !
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
As a matter of fact...

I've still yet to go, I haven't found a double feature I've liked enough to justify going. Except this one time, but I'd already seen one of them.

But as they say in Chicago, "Vote early, vote often."
Their double features almost never make much sense. It probably works best if you want to see one film and you have someone with you that wants to see the other. We went for The Evil Dead (for me) and The Call (for my wife) before they installed their digital projectors and then for Despicable Me 2 (for my wife) and World War Z (for me) after. Not that World War Z was a particularly intense film, but it takes a sadist to double feature a zombie apocalypse film with a family film.

In my opinion, the ambient lighting is pretty bad for watching films, especially dark films. It's an uncontrolled environment, so that's to be expected to some degree, but I wound up having to see The Evil Dead a second time in a regular theater because the final 30 minutes or so were basically unwatchable at the drive-in. World War Z was a little better, but still far from optimal.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote