Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-28-2003, 10:53 PM   #1
dwatts
HackMaster

Judge Dredd

Hm, I did a search and didn' t get any meaningful hits on this Stallone flick.

To be honest, first time around watching this, I was not very impressed. It was all a bit silly and Stallone just didn't seem right for the part (that uniform is something else.)

However, never let it be said that I refuse to do a 180 when necessary. I popped this into the player tonight, on a whim, and had a thoroughly good time. Perhaps the only thing I disliked about it was that it could easily have been twice as long and still been fun. Who wouldn't have wanted to see more of the Angel family? And the clones made an all too brief appearance.

I have the R2 release, and the transfer is one of those that makes you go WOW. It's really a reference type DVD. Superb clarity, great colors, and a 5.1 track to die for. I'm sure the R1 release is just as good.

I know this was a comic book, but to be honest, I've never read them. I'm sure some purists will find all kinds of fault with this interpretation. Speaking as someone who was just looking for the hell of it, I was mighterly impressed. Lots of boom, lots of bangs, some good and a splash of blood. Not a bad, if brainless, way to spend 90 minutes. Excellent stuff - and yes, I've completely changed my mind (thank God we have DVD so reappraisals if movies are so much easier!)
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 06:38 PM   #2
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

More of the Angel family would've been good, but the movie really needed the Dark Judges (from the comics).

Judge Death was always my favorite character from Dredd, and his philosophy was so simple...
"all crime is comitted by the living, therefore living is a sin, the sentence is death!"
I'd recomend trying to find a graphic novel compilation of the Judge Death stories, then you'll see just how cool the movie could've been.
As is, the movie was and is far better than I expected. I have the R1 disc, and have thought about getting the R2 for the anamorphic transfer and featurette, but it doesn't seem worth it as I hardly ever watch it.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
dwatts
HackMaster

Well, the R2 disc looks amazing. I have no interest in comic books, so I'll skip those.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 03:17 AM   #4
JW77
Support Halliburton

When I finally got around to seeing this, I didn't find the movie to be as bad as its reputation, but it was still missing the satirical bite of the comics.

The comics were originally a send-up of Margaret Thatcher's ultra-conservative administration in the UK, and, by extension, probably the Reagan-era in American politics. (JD is a British creation, originally appearing in the weekly publication 2000AD, but the stories were based in a dystopian American future.)

Since the movie removed most of the elements of satire from the film, it was turned into a fairly standard action movie/star vehicle. (In the comics, Judge Dredd NEVER removes his helmet.)

Interesting note - there have been rumblings for ages that a lot of Robocop was cribbed from the Dredd comic stories.
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." -- Harry J. Anslinger, first commissioner of the United States Bureau of Narcotics
JW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:14 AM   #5
Alien Redrum
Stalker

While I don't think of JD as a bad movie -- I actually find it enjoyable -- I do consider it forgettable.

I have seen JD 3 or 4 times and the only scene I remember from it is Rob Schneider doing the Sly impersonation.
Alien Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:45 AM   #6
Revoltor

Good Stallone flick. Not his best though. It also felt a little derivative of Demolition Man. This went a little more cartoon-scifi.

I think poeple hate the movie because it marked the beginning of the end for Stallone's career....and the beginning of Rob Schnieder's.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:08 AM   #7
SEANVALEN
HackMaster

I heard there making new dread films, more cheaper budget, different actor.

However dwatts, what put me off buying Judge Dread in R2, is the picture is non anamorphic, I've been waiting for a re-release.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:50 AM   #8
Grim
HackMaster

For me, this is one of those movies that you find a lot of things wrong with it, somethings downright stupid. Yet you can not stop watching it if it's on TV.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:09 AM   #9
Michael

Does the DVD include the deleted Diane Lane-Joan Chen lesbian shower scene?

... alright, aright... but there's no law against dreaming.

Last edited by Michael; 12-02-2003 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:14 AM   #10
Zodiac-Mindwarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Does the DVD include the deleted Diane Lane-Joan Chen lesbian shower scene?

... alright, aright... but there's no law against dreaming.

That version is on my wish list!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
msw7
Morso a morte

I just saw the new version last night, and it was quite good. The special effects were of a quality that reminded me of the Matrix in places, and the story was dark and really really really bloody.

Far and away much better than the Stallone version (which really shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence).
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote