Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
ronnie21
HackMaster

Most disappointed blu-ray in last 2 years?

For me, I 'd have to say THE BOOGENS" I was so siked when I heard it was coming to Blu-ray, but the good and bad here, The bad. no TV. spots or trailer, major points lost, the transfer. way tooo many white specs throughout, and heavy un needed grain and crushed blacks. It is however a fairly sharp transfer, wish scream shout could have got a hold of it. Now on with the good, its got a great informative commentary track that's lots of fun. and a nice slipcover using original poster art.. Just wish it didn't have all those white specs.. they really got annoying..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
SickNick89
Stalker

I'm just glad to own The Boogens esp with such a nice transfer. For me it's The Deadly Spawn but I feel like the new Friday the 13th set is going to be up there.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Matt89
HackMaster

Dude we're lucky a studio even released this film, let alone on blu-ray and a very good transfer, actually. The movie looks fantastic. Considering Olive released it, we were lucky enough to get a director's commentary as well.

So they didn't include a trailer or a shitty TV spot. At least they didn't fuck up the transfer like many studios do.

Most disappointing release in the past 2 years? How about that abomination that is The Bird With the Crystal Plumage? Fuck, what a disaster. Or, the UK special edition blu-ray of Straw Dogs. Literally the worst transfer I've ever seen of a film yet on blu-ray. Don't Look Now is a fucking mess as well. Arrow's release of Tenebrae also looks like garbage.

~Matt
Old 09-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
buck135
The Duke of New York

The Christopher Walken Prophecy films courtesy of Echo Bridge. The DVD's looked better.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
maybrick
HackMaster

Yeah, what Matt said. Even if Shout released the Boogens, they can only use what they are given, and considering that The Boogens was made my people who only made religious films we're lucky this film even exists at all, much less in the shape that it's in. It's a movie that I've wanted to own since buying a dvd player back in 1999. Beggars can't be choosers.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
For me, I 'd have to say THE BOOGENS" I was so siked when I heard it was coming to Blu-ray, but the good and bad here, The bad. no TV. spots or trailer, major points lost, the transfer. way tooo many white specs throughout, and heavy un needed grain and crushed blacks. It is however a fairly sharp transfer, wish scream shout could have got a hold of it. Now on with the good, its got a great informative commentary track that's lots of fun. and a nice slipcover using original poster art.. Just wish it didn't have all those white specs.. they really got annoying..
Yeah the white specs just killed the movie for me also. Though I love the movie I can relate to your comments. Another movie that drove me nuts was the Black Christmas '74 blu ray. That seems to suffer from the same problem just a big mess.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Zillamon51
Maniac

The "most disappointed" blu-ray is any one that tried to read your mess of a post. Try reading that shit out loud to yourself before posting.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Mr.G
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
The "most disappointed" blu-ray is any one that tried to read your mess of a post. Try reading that shit out loud to yourself before posting.
LOL...I'm sorry to laugh but that's funny.
Mr.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Dude we're lucky a studio even released this film, let alone on blu-ray and a very good transfer, actually. The movie looks fantastic. Considering Olive released it, we were lucky enough to get a director's commentary as well.

So they didn't include a trailer or a shitty TV spot. At least they didn't fuck up the transfer like many studios do.
First off, A-fucking-men. In this day in age, with everything companies like Shout! and Criterion do for their releases, I think we as fans take it for granted and just expect to have 4 commentary tracks, a 2 hour making of documentary, and every single trailer and TV spot released added to a BD. Yeah, all that stuff is cool, but I think sometimes we lose sight of why we buy these releases in the first place. THE FILM. That's why it kind of irks me to see people complain about extras not being ported over or no menu (how many times did you find yourself saying "The movie sucked, but that was a great fucking menu")...I think we are lucky enough to be able to have these films in our homes and more or less looking better than they did when they were playing in the theater.

Secondly, when ronnie says "white specs", are we talking about print damage or film grain? If we are talking about print damage, that issue is basically inevitable. Unless you are working with the OCN or spending thousands of dollars for a lab to meticulously clean the print frame by frame, there are going to be damage issues. I never find it be overtly distracting and I think it actually gives some of these films character. Especially in the case of The Boogens...check out Code Red's release of Mausoleum or Pets if you want distracting.

If we are talking about film grain, how close are you sitting to your TV...might I suggest you move 5 ft. back? I don't think I have ever watched a BD and have been THAT distracted by film grain to actually call it a disappointing transfer...of course aside from the transfers that have had digital noise artificially added. Usually, film grain is a positive aspect to see in a transfer. The detail in The Boogens would be nonexistent if it wasn't for that film grain. Do I have to bring up Predator?
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
Steel76
Maniac

The Boogens looked great too me
I actually didnīt take much notice to the specs. Didnīt have any problems with crushed blacks either, the darker scenes was a revelation compared to the muddy crap we had before. The transfer was beyond any earlier versions and better than I had expected, even with a bit of filmdamage.

As mentioned earlier, "The Deadly Spawn" had to be the worst disc so far.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
all that stuff is cool, but I think sometimes we lose sight of why we buy these releases in the first place. THE FILM.
+1 to that!

I wonder how we survived on only getting the movie back in the VHS and LD days
Extras are fun, but I can live without them.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE “I”

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
The Christopher Walken Prophecy films courtesy of Echo Bridge. The DVD's looked better.
Echo Bridge's Blu-Rays are recipes for madness. It's not just that many of their discs are bad, though many are, but moreso that they're mind-bogglingly inconsistent. You can never take it for granted that a solo release of a title will give you better audio and video presentation than that same title in of their multi-pack releases.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
ronnie21
HackMaster

quess you all told me... ha
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #14
Vortex
Stalker

I thought The Boogens on Blu-ray looked absolutely fine, though the film itself left something to be desired. Olive is a great company, so it's too bad they're almost out of horror films to release. I wish they could take the entire catalog of Scream Factory.

As for most disappointing Blu, I agree with the post saying The Deadly Spawn. Great film, awful Blu. I quickly discarded it and was happy I hadn't gotten rid of my Synapse DVD.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #15
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Night of the Living Dead '90 from Twilight has to be my most disappointing buy. Other than that, I can't think of any. Now content wise (i.e. the movie itself being bad), well that's a different story...lol.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote