Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 07-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
thing
Maniac

The World's End (2013)

The World's End (2013)

Directed by Edgar Wright

6.5-7/10

Edgar Wright returns with the final film in his thematic trilogy with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. In this film we see five friends who reunite in an attempt to top their epic pub crawl from 20 years earlier and unwittingly become humankind's only hope for survival. The story takes a lot longer to find its feet that either Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz did but when it does it is a lot of fun. The great cast help sell the well written characters and relationships at the centre of all the madness and the direction is spot on.
My only complaint is that after the film seems to come full circle just after the climax that they added an epilogue that goes on for too long and isn't all that great. The film would have been better without it or at least just as a post credit sequence. All in all it is not as good as the other two films but there is still fun to be found here and a good one to see on the big screen.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
thing
Maniac

anyone else seen it yet?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
chancetx
Stalker

Went to a screening earlier this week. It's very funny - if you liked the first two you'll most likely enjoy this one. I was a bit thrown at first as this one is more of an ensemble piece and I really enjoy the dynamic between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost but the entire cast does a great job. Maybe a bit longer than it needed to be but I have that complaint about most comedies.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancetx View Post
Went to a screening earlier this week. It's very funny - if you liked the first two you'll most likely enjoy this one. I was a bit thrown at first as this one is more of an ensemble piece and I really enjoy the dynamic between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost but the entire cast does a great job. Maybe a bit longer than it needed to be but I have that complaint about most comedies.
I look forward to adding it to my blu ray collection
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Anaestheus
HackMaster

I loved this. It was funny, it was exciting, it was thrilling, it got dark, and it was even a bit thought provoking. The jokes are solid and the writing has a lot of intelligence and wit. The characters, particularly Gary King, are really good and it was a nice change of pace to see Frost playing the straight man. The action/fight scenes are excellent. It didn't get as heart-breaking as Shaun did, but it certainly got a lot darker in its character psychology. Some of it hit a bit too close to home for me and that made me a little uncomfortable, particularly with the use of "This Corrosion".

I'm not sure if I liked it more than Shaun, but I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than Hot Fuzz.

But on a whole, this was the only summer film that I saw that really felt like a summer film should. I'm really surprised that they waited to long to release it. It really should have come out in May.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
I loved this. It was funny, it was exciting, it was thrilling, it got dark, and it was even a bit thought provoking. The jokes are solid and the writing has a lot of intelligence and wit. The characters, particularly Gary King, are really good and it was a nice change of pace to see Frost playing the straight man. The action/fight scenes are excellent. It didn't get as heart-breaking as Shaun did, but it certainly got a lot darker in its character psychology. Some of it hit a bit too close to home for me and that made me a little uncomfortable, particularly with the use of "This Corrosion".

I'm not sure if I liked it more than Shaun, but I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than Hot Fuzz.

But on a whole, this was the only summer film that I saw that really felt like a summer film should. I'm really surprised that they waited to long to release it. It really should have come out in May.
I think I still have Hot Fuzz as the best of the 3