Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
thing
Maniac

Arrows Latest Announcments

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12070

Upcoming Arrow Video Releases
Posted September 4, 2013 02:32 PM by Webmaster

Arrow VideoBritish distributors Arrow Video have revealed that they are planning to add four titles to their Blu-ray catalog: Don Siegel's The Killers (1964), Giuseppe Tornatore's Cinema Paradiso (1988), Mario Bava's Kidnapped/Rabid Dogs (1974), Preston Sturges' Sullivan's Travels (1941), Godfrey Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi (1982).

Cinema Paradiso

A winner of awards across the world including Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, 5 BAFTA Awards including Best Actor, Original Screenplay and Score, the Grand Prize of the Jury at the Cannes Film Festival and many more.

Giuseppe Tornatore's loving homage to the cinema tells the story of Salvatore, a successful film director, returning home for the funeral of Alfredo, his old friend who was the projectionist at the local cinema throughout his childhood. Soon memories of his first love affair with the beautiful Elena and all the high and lows that shaped his life come flooding back, as Salvatore reconnects with the community he left 30 years earlier.

Presented in both the original award-winning cut and the expanded Director's Cut incorporating more of Salvatore's backstory, newly restored from original negative materials.

2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
Newly restored from the original camera negative and presented in two versions – the 124 minute Cannes Festival theatrical version and the 170 minute Director's Cut
Uncompressed original stereo 2.0 Audio and 5.1 options
Optional English subtitles
Giuseppe Tornatore's A Dream of Sicily Documentary
A Bear and a Mouse in Paradise Documentary
The Kissing Sequence
Original Trailer
Booklet featuring new writing on the film
More to be announced!

Kidnapped/Rabid Dogs

Following difficulties in his career Mario Bava happened across an idea that would enable him to compete with the younger directors lighting up the Italian box office such as Dario Argento and Sergio Martino.

Rabid Dogs begins as $70,000 of wages are being transferred when the Ajaccio gang hit. With a hail of bullets in a quick raid they speed off in their waiting getaway car. Tough, violent and realistic, Bava's film ramps up the tension and doesn't stop as hostages are added and the film builds to its dizzying finale.

Unfolding in real time, a rare device seen only in earlier films such as High Noon and 12 Angry Men yet totally unheard of in Italian cinema at the time, Rabid Dogs is a singular film in Bava's filmography and one of the greatest crime films of the period.

SPECIAL 3-DISC EDITION FEATURES:
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of two versions of the film; 'Rabid Dogs' – Bava's original version posthumously completed from his notes & 'Kidnapped' – the re-edited, re-dubbed and re-scored version, supervised by Bava's son and assistant Lamberto Bava and producer Alfredo Leone
Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both versions
Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
End of the Road: The Making of Rabid Dogs – A documentary featurette including interviews with Lamberto Bava, Alfredo Leone and star Lea Lander
Original Trailer
Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, a history of the multiple versions of the film from Semaforo Rosso to Rabid Dogs to Kidnapped by Peter Blumenstock, illustrated with original stills and posters
Much more to be announced!

The Killers

Director Don Siegel's gritty remake of the 1946 original. Lee Marvin and Clu Gulager star as two hitmen determined to find out why their latest victim offered no resistance. Coming to the Arrow Academy line in early 2014.

Sullivan's Travels

Frustrated film director Sullivan (Joel McCrea) is fed up with serving out easily digestible but ultimately meaningless chunks of comedy for the studios. He decides to set off across America to rediscover the daily lives of the Joe Lunchpails as research for his socially responsible next film, O Brother, Where Art Thou? Giving up all his unnecessaries, he begins his cross-country road trip in hobo's clothes with barely a dime in his pocket to regain his focus. Coming to the Arrow Academy line in early 2014.

Koyaanisqatsi

Titled from a Hopi Indian word meaning "life out of balance," this unusual, lyrical film suggests that humanity is an ugly blight on the face of this beautiful planet. An awesome epic undersold by an adjective like "powerful." Coming in early 2014.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Below are the two new announcements I'm most excited about.

From Arrow's Facebook page:

"New release announcement! THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS Blu-ray, released 4th November! Full specs below!

Special Features:
- High Definition digital transfer of the film by Universal Pictures
- Original uncompressed Stereo 2.0 audio
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with star Brandon Quintin Adams, moderated by Calum Waddell
- Fear, Freud and Class Warfare: Director Wes Craven Discusses the Timely Terrors of The People Under the Stairs
- Behind Closed Doors: Leading Lady A.J. Langer Remembers The People Under the Stairs
- Silent But Deadly: Co-Star Sean Whalen on The People Under the Stairs
- Underneath the Floorboards: Jeffrey Reddick, creator of The Final Destination series, recalls the lasting impact of The People Under the Stairs
- Original Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Stephen R. Bissette
- Collectors booklet featuring new writing on the film, illustrated with original archive stills"

"New release announcement! INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978) Blu-ray, released 18th November (in regular and steelbook edition)! Full specs below!

Special Features:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the film
- Original uncompressed Stereo 2.0 audio / 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with director Philip Kaufman
- Pod Discussion: A new panel conversation about Invasion of the Body Snatchers and invasion cinema featuring critic Kim Newman and filmmakers Ben Wheatley and Norman J. Warren
- Dissecting the Pod: A new interview with Kaufman biographer Annette Insdorf
- Pod Novel: A new interview with Jack Seabrook, author of “Stealing through Time: On the Writings of Jack Finney” about Finney’s original novel ‘The Body Snatchers’
- Re-Visitors from Outer Space: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pod – a documentary on the making of the film featuring Philip Kaufman, Donald Sutherland, writer W.D. Richter and more
- The Man Behind the Scream: The Sound Effects Pod – a look at the film’s pioneering sound effects
- The Invasion Will Be Televised: The Cinematography Pod – cinematographer Michael Chapman (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull) discusses the look of and influences on the visual style of the film
- Practical Magic: The Special Effect Pod – A look at the creation of the special effects from the opening space sequence
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Nathanael Marsh
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic David Cairns, as well as re-prints of classic articles including contemporary interviews with Philip Kaufman and W.D. Richter, illustrated with original archive stills and posters"
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Kidnapped/Rabid Dogs

Following difficulties in his career Mario Bava happened across an idea that would enable him to compete with the younger directors lighting up the Italian box office such as Dario Argento and Sergio Martino.

Rabid Dogs begins as $70,000 of wages are being transferred when the Ajaccio gang hit. With a hail of bullets in a quick raid they speed off in their waiting getaway car. Tough, violent and realistic, Bava's film ramps up the tension and doesn't stop as hostages are added and the film builds to its dizzying finale.

Unfolding in real time, a rare device seen only in earlier films such as High Noon and 12 Angry Men yet totally unheard of in Italian cinema at the time, Rabid Dogs is a singular film in Bava's filmography and one of the greatest crime films of the period.

SPECIAL 3-DISC EDITION FEATURES:
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of two versions of the film; 'Rabid Dogs' – Bava's original version posthumously completed from his notes & 'Kidnapped' – the re-edited, re-dubbed and re-scored version, supervised by Bava's son and assistant Lamberto Bava and producer Alfredo Leone
Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both versions
Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
End of the Road: The Making of Rabid Dogs – A documentary featurette including interviews with Lamberto Bava, Alfredo Leone and star Lea Lander
Original Trailer
Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, a history of the multiple versions of the film from Semaforo Rosso to Rabid Dogs to Kidnapped by Peter Blumenstock, illustrated with original stills and posters
Much more to be announced!
Awesome! I'm glad I never bothered with the Kino Blu-ray. I figured it would be coming from Arrow soon enough.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
Franco
Weekender

Hey, there's an american blu-ray of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). This one from Arrow has much more features or more interesting ones. Could anybody say? Since I don't have this movie on BR format yet I'd had to decide between both releases.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
Hey, there's an american blu-ray of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). This one from Arrow has much more features or more interesting ones. Could anybody say? Since I don't have this movie on BR format yet I'd had to decide between both releases.
The UK release will have about the triple of the features as compared with the American one, but it was announced 12 hours ago.

Too early to tell but I´ll jump on the UK one blindly.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
Judging from that list of special features, it includes everything from the region A MGM blu ray plus a bunch of new stuff. The region A blu-ray came with a DVD copy of the film with the commentary on it but the commentary was nowhere to be found on the blu-ray itself. Finally the commentary will be available with the HD version of the film. Definitely picking this up its one of my favorites.

~Matt
Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Invasion blu-ray will be a double-dip for me. One of the best remakes ever.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I just saw the covers for both the steelbook and the regular blu-ray of Invasion of the Body Snatchers for Arrow. I would have wanted the steelbook, but the art work sucks ass. Regular release for me.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

It's funny how for PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS they're making sure we know Universal did the transfer. Presumably because everybody knows Universal's transfers usually suck. Looking forward to this release nonetheless. Also looking forward to CINEMA PARADISO. I hope it'll be the definitive release so I can finally retire several versions I already own.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Too bad Wes didn't do a commentary for Stairs, his commentary on the R2 dvds of Shocker actually made me like the movie more. As it is though, Stairs may be my least favorite Craven flick and I doubt I'll bother importing it. I've only watched the dvd once since buying it in 2004 and never really feel the need to go back to it. Not really sure why I even keep it, probably the same reason I've kept Summer of Fear, that completest collector mentality.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
It's funny how for PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS they're making sure we know Universal did the transfer. Presumably because everybody knows Universal's transfers usually suck.
Probably so. Be prepared for an older transfer with mucho edge enhancement.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
thing
Maniac

Info and ARTWORK for these releases

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...he-stairs.html

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...natchers3.html

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...kidnapped.html

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...paradiso4.html
Old 09-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #13
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Body Snatchers '78 steelbook is a real beauty. Puts that MGM art, whatever that was, to real shame. Arrow are doing far more exciting things than anyone else, including Shout.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:21 AM   #14
thing
Maniac