Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #31
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
But again, rewatch the trailer for the original film, and you'd see that that one was never sold to the public as a satire either.
How many films are?

Parody has always been more marketable. Sometimes for the better.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #32
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
But again, rewatch the trailer for the original film, and you'd see that that one was never sold to the public as a satire either.

I think if they put any of that in, it would make it look more like an action comedy and I don't think that would sit well for anybody either.
You are correct, the original film's trailer didn't allude to it's satire. However, if the remake has the satire that the original had I'll be extremely surprised. Since Batman every action hero franchise has to be dark and void of anything tongue-in-cheek.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #33
Mok
HackMaster

I think it looks rad. I'm in

PS: I hope every movie becomes PG13 so you can all collectively shut the fuck up about it.

Last edited by Mok; 09-06-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Mok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #34
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
PS: I hope every movie becomes PG13 so you can all collectively shut the fuck up about it.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #35
baggio
HackMaster

So I assume that in the new Robocop, he is fully aware that he is the experiment. Unlike the original, where that was one of the major themes that Peter Weller slowly regains memory of what he once was.
baggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #36
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

I think it looks good, too. I like the black suit. "Dead or alive, you're coming with me." YES!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #37
Steel76
Maniac

It lacks the satire! The suit is different! Murphy is killed in a different way! etc. etc. etc.
How DARE they try something new with this reboot/remake
Isn´t that the whole point with a new version?

I like that Murphy´s memory and personality is intact, when he wakes up as Robocop in this version.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #38
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
I think the point some were trying to make is that it's not anything new or different. Just another "existing franchise turned 'serious' with some CGI and a PG-13 rating thrown in". See Total Recall, Terminator Salvation, Red Dawn and many others.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #39
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
I think the point some were trying to make is that it's not anything new or different.
Exactly.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #40
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
If there´s nothing new in a reboot/remake then it would be just a copy.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #41
MisterTwister
HackMaster

The satire was a big part of the original, the suit looks like shit and murphy's death is horribly cliche and generic.

new and different my ass.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #42
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
It lacks the satire! The suit is different! Murphy is killed in a different way! etc. etc. etc.
Isn´t that the whole point with a new version?

I like that Murphy´s memory and personality is intact, when he wakes up as Robocop in this version.
Ideally and in theory, you're right. But I'd hate to think just how rarely that's actually the case. If you see a remake and realize that it's an intelligently made film with a clear reason for existence, then that's something to celebrate. But I don't think the last 20 years have given us much reason to think that this is always or even often the case.

Remakes seem to be to the new millennium what sequels were to the 80's - a reliable way to use brand recognition to cash in on a fan base. The difference, though, is that sequels more often than not felt some pressure to establish some form of continuity, which I think a lot of people here respond well to. They also couldn't get away with exactly repeating parts from earlier films (flashbacks excluded). The modern remake is basically just a sequel where no one worries about continuity, and they can repeat popular scenes and catchphrases beat-for-beat whenever they want to.

This is all just academic, though. As far as the RoboCop remake goes, I'm not too bent out of shape. Like I said before, Keaton and Oldman are definite signs of potential quality.

Last edited by dave13; 09-06-2013 at 10:10 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #43
hellraiser40
Maniac

in 1 shot in the trailer you see Robocop jumping down from an appartment and it made me think of Iron Man, i hope they won't turn him into a superhero-kind-of-guy, in the original despite all the technological advances Robocop still had some limitations

also, the music score of the original will be very hard to beat, but i reckon that looked upon it in solitary, this movie will be 'good', but not on the 'classic' level of the original
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #44
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
The satire was a big part of the original, the suit looks like shit and murphy's death is horribly cliche and generic.

new and different my ass.
Yeah, I dislike when people give something credit just because they did it differently. If they did it differently and really thought it out and it came out well, then great. (see: Cronenberg's The Fly). However, if they make changes but it doesn't add or really fit well with the story, why give them credit at all? (see: Bayer's NOES) I much prefer for a remake to stick with the strengths of the original material if they are just making changes to make changes (so they can say hey, this is NEW) which only ends up diluting the power of the source material.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people that are remaking these movies don't really understand what makes them so special to fans anyway. They tend to remake movies now on a very surface level.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #45
Katatonia
Master of Doom

It might be okay, but trailer looks pretty lame. It'll probably have good visuals and effects...but a crappy script.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote