Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Pre-October/Halloween Movie Talk and Plans

I've been saving new Horror blu-rays I bought since August for my October viewings. 19 titles so far, but more will be added.

Can't hardly wait! It's my favorite month of the year

Other than that we've planned a small get together at my sisters place on Halloween, for dinner. We'll be doing a "haunted car-ride" in the early evening visiting abandoned houses and at least one old creepy-ass graveyard in rural locations. We haven't done that in ages so it should be fun. What are your plans?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I've been building up a Halloween watch pile.

Stuff like Hauntedween, Trilogy of Terror, Hell Night, Fade to Black etc. Basically stuff I didn't watch last year.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
Other than that we've planned a small get together at my sisters place on Halloween, for dinner. We'll be doing a "haunted car-ride" in the early evening visiting abandoned houses and at least one old creepy-ass graveyard in rural locations. We haven't done that in ages so it should be fun. What are your plans?
That's awesome! Take some pics.

Well, I'm sure you're not shocked, but I will be at Phish shows in Atlantic City dressed as Osiris - Egyptian King of the Dead.

Other than that, yes, I'm looking forward to catching up on some newly bought horror purchased over the past year. This past Summer I slacked due to so much travel.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I've recently browsed through the horror section on Netflix instant que looking to start my list, and I've compiled about 40 or so films that will be first time viewings. Hopefully there won't be any freak hurricanes this year (I lost power last year on the evening of the 29th) and I can actually enjoy the month in its entirety.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
spawningblue
Deadite

As usual I will be watching a stack of horror movies. Don't think I'll break my record of 70 movies / 25 episodes, I doubt I'll even come close to last years 55 movies / 6 Episodes due to our now 1 year old son, but I will sure as hell try! For our podcast we will also be doing a weekly special and hopefully come up with ways to make each episode a little special for the month.

My family and I will also do the traditional pumpkin patch / carving, costume creation, parties, ect.

I can't wait either way! I love Christmas, but I think Halloween and October are truly my favourite time of the year!

This thread has reminded me to start going through my movies and pulling out a bunch to watch.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Another Disney animated film and review warm-up, which I'll be starting a lot earlier this year (I wound up trying to cram 20 or thereabouts in 4 days... not a good plan) so I'll have time to stock up on my Tour-of-YouTube horror flicks. I might think the quality is about on-par with the old VHS's they're ripped from.

But in the core of October, I'm watching all the post-60's classics. I'd like to get a better version of Night of the Living Dead (the Millennium Edition, if it's still available) so I could start in the 60's. And eventually, the not-so-classics.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
dave13
HackMaster

we just got american netflix, and i'm browsing through there and getting more and more excited about the selection of horror films. think i'll make a list and really jump in in october...if i can wait that long.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Is Horrordigital going to do its big October/Halloween review month? It's pretty much the only time in the year that new reviews get posted up. That's what I'll be looking forward too.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
Erick H.
HackMaster

Our local arthouse is showing the new doc. BIRTH OF THE LIVING DEAD,about the making of "68's NIGHT,followed by a screening of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD in 35mm just before Halloween.A friend and I started a Halloween marathon,four films back to back on the 31st, about seven years ago,I need to pick out my two contributions soon.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Already been watching horror films quite regularly as the weather here has been quite Halloween-like lately, Fall is definitely in the air.
Watched The Fog with commentary and Insidious last night.
No special plans for October however I am setting some money aside for some blu-rays I want to get namely Rosemary's Baby, The Uninvited and Prince Of Darkness.
Hopefully a release date for The Conjuring will be announced soon.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Mok
HackMaster

Yes, us too our decorations are out already. We watched House by the Cemetary last. We have a couple of parties in Rocktober. One at a club and one house party. I got a bunch of Paul Naschy films in queue.
Mok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Zillamon51
Maniac

Decorate & (hopefully) upgrade yard haunt.

Set up zombie tank and marathon The Walking Dead seasons 1 - 3.

Rifftrax Live is doing Night of the Living Dead '68 this year.

Watch lots of movies, including the Carrie remake, Mandy Lane (finally!), and Curse of Chucky.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Insidious Chapter 2 this weekend.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick H. View Post
Our local arthouse is showing the new doc. BIRTH OF THE LIVING DEAD,about the making of "68's NIGHT,followed by a screening of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD in 35mm just before Halloween.A friend and I started a Halloween marathon,four films back to back on the 31st, about seven years ago,I need to pick out my two contributions soon.
Sounds awesome.

Usually, I'm pretty much solo in my October viewings, as none of my friends are that into horror films. But I made a new friend last year (a rarity at age 34!), who is totally into them, so we are gonna set up a few double-features. He hasn't seen Plan 9 or Ed Wood, and that's my favorite back-to-back viewing, so that will certainly be on the list.

He's also never seen The Monster Squad, so that's in there, too, although it's a staple at my place in October.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Paff

Hmmm.....I should re-order my Netflix queue. Move some of the horror titles to the top.

I don't have anything specific planned, but I do know I'll watch quite a bit of horror just 'cause it's tis the season (yes, I borrowed from The Waitresses' Christmas song there). I recently picked up a new scaler/de-interlacer on the cheap, so I might try dusting off some laserdiscs. I still have a bunch of Hammer films from Elite on that old 12" format, the Roger Corman Price/Poe movies, and some other random titles I haven't watched since going HD.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote