Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #16
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I have most of the Good horror movies on Netflix on DVD already, with the exception of the few I've seen recently. That place is hopelessly clogged with wickedly low-rent direct-to-video crap. So, I haven't got much in the queue: John Dies at the End, Hobo with a Shotgun, mostly self-aware, jokey stuff. Used to have Bug, wanted to watch it, but bad timing on Netflix's part- they retired it about 10 days ago.

Checking now:

American Mary (of course)
Little Witches (morbid curiosity)
Dracula's Widow (which I've been avoiding because there's no listing on Letterboxd.com)
Leviathan (but no Lifeforce- I'm extremely disappointed that I missed that)
Howling VI (which I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on, it looks boring as hell)
Nightscare (glad that's still up; saw it in 2008 and really liked it)
Zombie High
The Vineyard
Shakma

Demon Knight (I promised dave13)
Event Horizon (some consider it a horror film)
Curse of the Puppet Master
From Dusk Till Dawn 2
From Dusk Till Dawn 3
Dead End
The Hamiltons
Rubber
Land of the Dead
Mum & Dad
Severance
HellBent
Red State
The Ward
They
V/H/S
The Innkeepers
Roman
Let the Right One In
(I'm wary of the subtitle problem)

Of course, what I really want to see is Black Swan, Jennifer's Body, and The Lords of Salem. But...
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
crikan
HackMaster

I had planned on saving AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON for October but expired a couple days ago. I watched last weekend instead. Good flick.
crikan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Demon Knight (I promised dave13)

Quote:
The Ward
thanks for the heads-up. I've done a little browsing, but still haven't found a way to actually view their entire catalogue using my PS3. is there an option for that? are there lists online? their setup is a little frustrating, since they obviously only display a fraction of their titles on the front page, and when you put in a generic search, they only display 7 or 8 titles that match the criteria, not a comprehensive list. I searched for "horror" and they returned about 8 titles for me to browse. I searched for Sean Connery and Clint Eastwood, and got the same thing. But they obviously have many more titles that match those search requests. unless you key in a specific film title, there's no way of being absolutely sure.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

You're saying you can't access the, sort of, Master Genre lists from the website with PS3 - you can only search? Can you access your Queue?

Holy fuck, they fixed Scream- they chopped it before to about 1.85! Now it's in 2.35! Finally! (Not that I'd watch it there unless it was uncut.)
Old 09-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
You're saying you can't access the, sort of, Master Genre lists from the website with PS3 - you can only search? Can you access your Queue?
I've only got American Netflix on my ps3 and tablet. I haven't really looked at the tablet, but on the ps3 I haven't been able to find any references to a queue. it would be nice to tag a film so that I could go back to it later, but there's no option for that that I can see on the ps3. I've resorted to watching the first 10 seconds of a film instead, so that it shows up in my "recently watched" list. then I can go back to it later and watch it for real when I want to...
Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I haven't really looked at the tablet, but on the ps3 I haven't been able to find any references to a queue.
I think they recently got rid of "queues" and changed it to "My List". It's the same thing. When you click on a title on your PS3, you should see an option for "Add To My List".
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #22
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I think they recently got rid of "queues" and changed it to "My List". It's the same thing. When you click on a title on your PS3, you should see an option for "Add To My List".
you might be right. I'll check when I get home.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #23
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

If you're new to this in any way, if you want to get to the Master Genre lists, click (I really don't know how you work a PS3) on Watch Instantly in the list of options at the top. There'll be Drop Down Genres. You can pick horror from there.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 09-13-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #24
dave13
HackMaster

no, you don't have any of those options on a ps3, or even the tablet. the tablet version is a little bit better. i can actually add movies to my list that way, and the list appears in the scrolling options that make up the main page. however, on the ps3, the list does not appear. so basically, i can make a list on the tablet, then when i want to watch something, i can select from that list, then search for that specific title on my ps3 and actually watch the movie.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #25
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Yeah, the PS3 interface is different. You don't have any of the options at the top, it consists entirely of rows. There are rows for most of the genres with select titles, but you can't view their entire genre catalog the way you can online. You can search with the triangle button, but you're pretty much at their mercy when it comes to browsing.

However, on mine, the top row is "My List". You can't view it as a list the way you can online, you have to scroll left and right until you reach the position of the movie you want.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #26
dave13
HackMaster

maybe it takes a little while to sync up? I just made the first entries into "my list" last night on the tablet. perhaps it will appear on the ps3 today? the tablet is a bit better, but still consists of rows. you can go to an entire page for each genre, and then it gives you rows of subcategories. I went to the horror genre and there were about 10 rows, with titles like "supernatural horror", "monster movies", and "slasher movies" etc, etc. opened things up quite a bit. also, whenever I would select a title it would give me 4 recommendations based on that title, which often led to stuff that wasn't in any of the rows. for example, there are a lot of jess franco titles available, which I was interested in. I may have to see if I can configure one of our laptops to run it as well, just to get a look at the entire catalogue though.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #27
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

This is absolutely the best way to find what you're looking for on Netflix:

http://instantwatcher.com/

I use this on my home theater PC exclusively because Netflix's UI is turds.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
dave13
HackMaster

thank you! that page is fantastic.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Is Horrordigital going to do its big October/Halloween review month? It's pretty much the only time in the year that new reviews get posted up. That's what I'll be looking forward too.
Me too, I enjoy the reviews. What I'm also looking forward to, is the October prize contests. Nothing like watching the prize pigs come out of the woodwork. Seriously, there should be a 100 post count and higher only to enter.
baggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #30
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
This is absolutely the best way to find what you're looking for on Netflix:

http://instantwatcher.com/

I use this on my home theater PC exclusively because Netflix's UI is turds.
thanks, dude
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote