Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #16
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
On the fucking street: Halloween IS about people in slutty, tight costumes getting drunk, partying, and getting laid.
That has been the case for at least the past 50 years... above a certain age group. I doubt the young trick or treaters in my neighborhood have any intention of getting anything other than a sack full of candy. My kids certainly don't. It is the same as it ever was.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
That has been the case for at least the past 50 years... above a certain age group.
I'm well-aware of that. But my point was not about how much it sucks that kids don't trick or treat anymore (necessarily) or that it ruins the holiday to see people dressing in sexy costumes. I don't care who does what, likes what. I never have.

The point is that the movie is trying to, very much like Candyman did with urban legends, say that Halloween is a holiday that people aren't afraid of because it's fluffed up, softened, and overaccessible due to traditions like trick or treating and how much we allegedly cherish Charlie Brown.

Now, forgetting that not a single character the movie cooks up actually confronts any of its targets, it spends an immeasurable chunk of the first "act" gazing at every woman who looks a certain way changing, bending over, or sticking the camera low enough to look up their skirt. Then, one of these women are killed in a crowd of drunken, sexed up street partiers. That is Hypocrisy of the Highest Order. Sure, if the movie is against - granted, for the sake of trying to generate scares or deaths (which makes sense) - new traditions that still don't restore the true roots of the holiday then, this scene could be saying that the drunken, sexy stuff is just as stupid as Charlie Brown. But it spent all that fucking time gluing the camera wherever it could to any woman who passed by, again of a certain type or look.

Meanwhile, Candyman was actually about cynicism and addressed it directly, without this absurd, steaming hypocrisy. And I don't doubt that trick or treating is still popular in some areas but, again, culturally- kids do not celebrate it like they used to. Not even in the single-digit range. Movies like this certainly didn't kill it but this is not rocket science. It's Groundhog Day: look out your window and you'll see if people are going to Gobbler's Knob or not. I stopped trick or treating around 1996 (I was born in 1982, my profile is lying) and 15 years ago, where I live- there were at least 5x the amount of trick or treaters there are now. At least! The writers of this film wrote like most idiots without being aware of anything outside their own environment. If this dumbass/these dumbasses still see dozens of kids every year, he/they assume it's like that everywhere.

And the Charlie Brown thing is inexcusable. Either they were suggesting that the older generation is guilty of leading people to believe Charlie Brown was a likable character just because the special is fun to watch or trying to wring laughs out of the audience, assuming they were as intolerable as their own characters. This movie didn't have a clue what it was doing in the writing stages. Aside from this, the characters were impossible to Even Watch. And I make no exception for this movie. Many do, though they were among the first to complain that this is the same thing that ruined the Friday the 13th remake. I was ready to write the characters off as extreme caricatures of real people but then that Charlie Brown line became popular. Proving a portion of the audience were as intolerable as the characters.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #18
spawningblue
Deadite

Must you come in and rant in every thread?

Either way I hope they make a sequel. I've been begging for this since I first saw the trailer for the first film as I knew it would be good, and was right! One of my favourite horror movies in the past 10 years, and one of my favourite anthology movie of all time. I would also argue that it is the best tribute to Halloween put on film. There isn't one scene that isn't swamped in Halloween decor and tradition. Sam and the movie obviously have a huge following (It was the best selling DVD/ Blu-ray when first released) so give us a sequel please!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #19
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I first saw the trailer for the first film as I knew it would be good, and was right!
No, Trick 'R Treat sucked. Hard.

The only semi-decent thing about it is what it stole from other movies: Creepshow, Sleepy Hollow, The Lady in White, The Company of Wolves, House of 1000 Corpses, Scream, etc.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 09-07-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #20
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Must you come in and rant in every thread?

Either way I hope they make a sequel. I've been begging for this since I first saw the trailer for the first film as I knew it would be good, and was right! One of my favourite horror movies in the past 10 years, and one of my favourite anthology movie of all time. I would also argue that it is the best tribute to Halloween put on film. There isn't one scene that isn't swamped in Halloween decor and tradition. Sam and the movie obviously have a huge following (It was the best selling DVD/ Blu-ray when first released) so give us a sequel please!
If he didn't rant or annoy everyone I think he would shrivel up and die.

I agree about Trick R Treat. I watch it every october and it has became one of my favorite horror flicks of the past 10 years.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #21
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Actually, someone asked me almost a month ago what my beef with TRT was. Of course, it's the entire movie. Like I said, the only decent thing about that POS (through and through, this thing is toilet fodder and stinks to high, sweaty, pore-drenched desert-summer rotten-fish fuck) is what it steals from other movies.

Of course, this movie is special: it fucking pissed me off. Like, Top 3 Angriest Experiences I have ever had watching a movie. If you expect me to take it easy on this thing, you mis-estimate me. I didn't say Spellcaster was the worst movie ever made. I don't think Shock Waves was that bad. I'm misquoted every day on here. It's trends and only a handful of movies that actually get me mad. And this is one of them. I'm sorry you think I'm trying to trip your buzz or something but this thing's going to get chopped sooner or later. If I rewatched the movie today, I could take every fucking scene apart. I had a list a mile long of things that were wrong with it when I was watching this thing. I couldn't do that with Splinter or Dead Snow, they were just boring and badly paced. And had tonal problems and... Yeah.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 09-07-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Actually, someone asked me almost a month ago what my beef with TRT was. Of course, it's the entire movie. Like I said, the only decent thing about that POS (through and through, this thing is toilet fodder and stinks to high, sweaty, pore-drenched desert-summer rotten-fish fuck) is what it steals from other movies.

Of course, this movie is special: it fucking pissed me off. Like, Top 3 Angriest Experiences I have ever had watching a movie. If you expect me to take it easy on this thing, you mis-estimate me. I didn't say Spellcaster was the worst movie ever made. I don't think Shock Waves was that bad. I'm misquoted every day on here. It's trends and only a handful of movies that actually get me mad. And this is one of them. I'm sorry you think I'm trying to trip your buzz or something but this thing's going to get chopped sooner or later. If I rewatched the movie today, I could take every fucking scene apart. I had a list a mile long of things that were wrong with it when I was watching this thing. I couldn't do that with Splinter or Dead Snow, they were just boring and badly paced. And had tonal problems and... Yeah.
I have a list a mile wrong of everything wrong with every post you make here. No one cares about your constant hate and negativity in every thread!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #23
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

You clearly haven't read every thread I've posted in. Try reading up on me sometime. You will be surprised.

Some people don't seem to want to accept the fact there is such a thing as constructive negativity. You might not like it, but I have a point. Every time. And while plenty of people complain about me, none of them have ever been right. I always listen to others' opinions (when they share them), I have never tried to control anyone or any one discussion, and I only contribute thoughtful content. Every time.

Deal with that any way you can. But don't whine to me if you can't. Same goes with everyone else. If I bother you that much, add me to your ignore list. Anything else is wasted time. Which I have far less patience for than you have for me.

Thanks and may your day be filled with nothing but rainbows, flowers, and sunshine. Was that positive enough for you?

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 09-10-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Quote:
Some people don't seem to want to accept the fact there is such a thing as constructive negativity.
We're not the fucking filmmakers! We don't control the outcome of the next movie!

-Paff
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #25
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Quote:
Actually, someone asked me almost a month ago what my beef with TRT was.
I feel sorry for that person!
Buechlers_beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #26
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buechlers_beard View Post
I feel sorry for that person!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #27
crikan
HackMaster

If its one thing we don't like here at Horror Digital its someone with a strong opinions that we don't agree with. And it's easier to whine and ridicule than to ignore or come up with a reasoned argument against.
crikan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #28
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
If its one thing we don't like here at Horror Digital its someone with a strong opinions that we don't agree with. And it's easier to whine and ridicule than to ignore or come up with a reasoned argument against.
I like dvdf9. I don't often agree with him, and his opinions may sometimes piss me off, but he's fun to read. to be honest, the people complaining about him are fun to read too, so....
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #29
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Some people don't seem to want to accept the fact there is such a thing as constructive negativity. You might not like it, but I have a point. Every time. And while plenty of people complain about me, none of them have ever been right. I always listen to others' opinions (when they share them), I have never tried to control anyone or any one discussion, and I only contribute thoughtful content. Every time.
You are entitled to your opinions like everyone else. And you can rationalize about why you offend others any way you like. Your opinions have never offended me. Your high-handed, superior, judgmental, patronizing attitude is what does that.

The utter lack of humility in this statement is indicative of your complete lack of respect for the opinions and attitudes of others. It's outrageous and egomaniacal to make a statement like this. Regardless of your conviction no one is always right.

I personally feel that it's impossible to engage in intellectual discourse with someone who operates under the assumption that everyone else is a dunce. Like an Elm Street kid turning to Hypnocil I am taking the atypically sound advice you offered later in your post and utilizing the ignore function.

Feel free, as usual, to insist upon the last word.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #30
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Like an Elm Street kid turning to Hypnocil...
Amazing.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote