Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #76
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
It does sound great. Unfortunately the content isn't on a disc, just a code to unlock it streaming through VUDU. This should have been on the disc!
Yeah, I know! That sucks! I do however have a library of VUDU stuff, but I'd rather have a hard copy too!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #77
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

BTW: A couple of really nasty extended scenes in the uncut Blu-Ray. The scene with the CIA agent in Korea and the arm cutting scene in Israel.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #78
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I think zombies have finally run their course...at least for me anyways...probably not a good thing either with a new season of The Walking Dead getting set to air and also the re-release of Day of the Dead onto BD which I really wanted to dive right into after World War Z, but...

Wolrd War Z is bad. I mean you know something's run its course when it gets the bloated, over produced, blockbuster treatment. Even Brad Pitt felt awkwardly out of place in this flick. World War Z resembled almost something like a 28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later remake directed by Michael Bay...it just one boring melodrama and absurdly over the top action sequence after another with neither of the two being all that entertaining or engaging.

It even felt weird when they called the infected zombies. It was sort of comical. Speaking of which, I don't mind fast zombies when they are done right...28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later are both fine examples. But the virus in World War Z somehow makes humans into super human...watching zombies practically fly in the air, or fall from buildings straight onto cars only to get up and sprint like a fat kid chasing an ice cream truck is really stretching the imagination. I mean, does this virus also give them T-800 endoskeletons?

Ugghh..I really wanted to watch that Day of the Dead BD, but this flick just frustrated me so and really put me off of zombies for awhile.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #79
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
World War Z is bad. I mean you know something's run its course when it gets the bloated, over produced, blockbuster treatment.
Hollywood is out of ideas and yes this turd sucked!
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #80
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The book and the movie are completely different. However, I enjoyed them both thoroughly.
I've heard that this is the case and, having just seen the movie and enjoyed it, I am very interested in its origins.

What I liked most about the movie story is that it had a much more interesting premise as far as reality-based options and solutions as far as disease. I mean, yeah, the super-zombies and plane crash were unrealistic: it's a zombie movie, it's not real life. When people nit-pick and start complaining about what could or could never really happen during a zombie apocalypse I have to laugh.

I'm really glad that the swarming effects seem to have come a long way since the first trailers I saw (which looked dreadful and caused me to skip it theatrically).

I also love it when a movie doesn't wrap everything up in a happy, pretty bow a la 28 DAYS LATER.

I am also curious about all of the different store-specific versions--looks like they pulled a STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS as far as that goes. Paramount can suck me.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #81
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
I mean, yeah, the super-zombies and plane crash were unrealistic: it's a zombie movie, it's not real life. When people nit-pick and start complaining about what could or could never really happen during a zombie apocalypse I have to laugh.
I'm pretty sure this comment was directed towards me, so let me retort. It's not nitpicking when your entire movie revolves around creating a realistic viral outbreak and trying to sell what could actually happen if a "real life" zombie apocalypse did occur... Then you have these creatures that are able to defy physics, gravity, and every other single theory of science in existence... I mean, it really doesn't bode well for selling the "real life" threat and terror that you are trying to convey through your film. Not to mention, its assuming the intelligence of your audience,... which is kind of offensive.

The whole tone of the film was serious, serious, serious...and when the zombies were on screen it was pure comedy. It was almost slapsticky...I was waiting for the Benny Hill music.

Like I said, I have no problem with trying to create a new "type" of zombie when done right. I don't believe there is a written law on what constitutes a zombie or a set of rules of how one should act...(because as you said they do not exist in real life). But the WWZ zombies were completely inconsistent. 3 bullets to the chest takes down one of these guys, but a 10 story fall onto a car?... not so much.

Last edited by Chomp; 09-23-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #82
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
I'm pretty sure this comment was directed towards me, so let me retort. It's not nitpicking when your entire movie revolves around creating a realistic viral outbreak and trying to sell what could actually happen if a "real life" zombie apocalypse did occur... Then you have these creatures that are able to defy physics, gravity, and every other single theory of science in existence... I mean, it really doesn't bode well for selling the "real life" threat and terror that you are trying to convey through your film. Not to mention, its assuming the intelligence of your audience,... which is kind of offensive.

The whole tone of the film was serious, serious, serious...and when the zombies were on screen it was pure comedy. It was almost slapsticky...I was waiting for the Benny Hill music.

Like I said, I have no problem with trying to create a new "type" of zombie when done right. I don't believe there is a written law on what constitutes a zombie or a set of rules of how one should act...(because as you said they do not exist in real life). But the WWZ zombies were completely inconsistent. 3 bullets to the chest takes down one of these guys, but a 10 story fall onto a car?... not so much.
I wasn't really thinking of any one person's comment(s) but I really enjoyed your retort as it made a lot of sense and I can totally see your points. Like I mentioned, I found the effects to be leaps and bounds from what I remember from the trailer so I was probably so relieved that I was willing to overlook the obvious flaws in the jumping, bouncing, super-speedy zombies.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #83
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I watched the extras on VUDU last night. Was really excited about the zombie town hall meeting. Romero was cool, but as much as I like Max Brooks writing, the guy came off as a loud mouth, know it all, liberal douchebag. Really changed my impression of the little shit.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #84
Paff

As I mentioned in the October viewing thread, I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I'm a bit zombied out. Everything is zombie nowadays. There's zombie walks, zombie runs, hell I just watched an episode of Bar Rescue where they turned the bar into a zombie bar.

And as much as I don't like running zombies, I think it worked in the context of this movie. Especially since they weren't trying to make a horror movie per se, but more of an action/adventure thing. What I liked most were the varying locations and scenes, instead of it just being a small group on the run and/or barricading themselves from the zombies (which let's face it, describes about 95% of all zombie movies)

I saw the Netflix version, which I guess is not what was seen in the theaters. Even if it were the theatrical version, I wouldn't mind. I've seen more than enough zombie gore scenes in my life. Not that I'm against seeing more of course, I just don't think there's anything I haven't seen at this point. It was interesting and fresh the first time as a teenager that I saw a zombie tear into Roger's wounded leg as he climbs into the Scirrocco in Dawn of the Dead, but it just doesn't have the same impact anymore. I'd rather have a fresh story with no gore than a tired old retread of zombie mythos with gross-out effects.

I still need to read the book though. Had it for years, and it was signed by Max Brooks...

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #85
buck135
The Duke of New York

My wife and I watched this the other night expecting to hate it. We were both pleasantly surprised. The 3D effects were excellent and the zombie effects exceeded my expectations. If only George Romero was ever given so much to work with.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #86
Christy
Stalker

I enjoyed this best in 3D the 2D leaves the movie feeling flat. So I can understand why a few of you didn't like it. I wouldn't say this is a great movie as it does have it's flaws. Still makes for a fun popcorn flick just turn your brain off while watching.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote