Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
ronnie21
HackMaster

Sometimes theater is the way to go, or was........

Tried showing my girl THE BURNING this weekend, man, lots of distractions,, amazing we got through it. First the dogs kept bothering us wanting attention every 5 mins. then the phones kept ringing. ect... then the doorbell rang.. come on. I believe The theater is the best place to really see a movie cause that's what your specifically there for. No dogs, no doorbells. phones should be turned off, and your attention should be focused on the big screen. Who agrees. who's had annoying times at home trying to show someone a movie that they had to pay attention to , to know whats going on in the movie??
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
Tried showing my girl THE BURNING this weekend, man, lots of distractions,, amazing we got through it. First the dogs kept bothering us wanting attention every 5 mins. then the phones kept ringing. ect... then the doorbell rang.. come on. I believe The theater is the best place to really see a movie cause that's what your specifically there for. No dogs, no doorbells. phones should be turned off, and your attention should be focused on the big screen. Who agrees. who's had annoying times at home trying to show someone a movie that they had to pay attention to , to know whats going on in the movie??
Watching a movie in a theater is every bit as likely to annoy me, if not moreso, as watching at home. I can handle needy dogs much easier than I can handle needy theater audiences and I can turn off our phones and doorbells at home, if need be.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Watching a movie in a theater is every bit as likely to annoy me, if not moreso, as watching at home. I can handle needy dogs much easier than I can handle needy theater audiences and I can turn off our phones and doorbells at home, if need be.
Agreed, the constant yakking that goes on in theaters now is grating to say the least.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Text-happy teenagers and children who are too young to see the film are what ruins the theatrical experience for me. This is why I love going to Rue-Morgue's Cinemacabre nights in Toronto. Everyone in attendance are people who love, appreciate, and enjoy watching the film.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Erick H.
HackMaster

I'd always prefer to see a film in a well run theater,it's when the theater is NOT well run that it becomes a pain.Ushers aren't just there to clean up spilled popcorn,they are also to maintain order.Use them ! Loud talkers and chronic texters are to be warned once,then asked to leave.If theater owners would take these matters seriously then so would patrons.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
ronnie21
HackMaster

Sorry, should have said, in a theater on a Tuesday afternoon. ha ha I saw the movie WONDERLAND about john holmes murders in a theater, and it was a great experience. It was all mature adults who were very well behaved and it was a good experience..
Old 09-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Sunday is our movie day. My sister and me usually watch three movies at my place and it has been tradition for years. There are times of distraction like, when we get surprise visitors or the occasional phone call but other than that we usually enjoy our weekly triple features without interruption. I don't own any pets either.
I wouldn't say watching movies at the theater is the "better" way but last time I went (The Conjuring) the audience was really quiet. Actually, the only noise was coming from me munching popcorn!
Though I thought the audio in the theater was set way too low. One had to pay attention to actually hear what was going on. At home I can crank up the volume as high as I like.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I have a local one screen movie theater here that's wonderful. Since they play cult and classic films almost exclusively there's no teenagers and people bringing babies and everyone respects basic etiquette. I saw Martin there not long ago and they had a Q&A with the cast afterwards. Just a great theater that I'm lucky to have.

On the flip side I went to a multi-plex for the first time in 4 years recently and it was awful. 25 minutes of previews, commercials before that, and people who didn't know to shut up during the film. If that is the typical American movie-goer experience I'm glad I've been opting out for all these years.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
soxfan666
Maniac

I only do the theater on a Saturday or Sunday morning and it is always the days first showing. It is usually no later than 11 A.m. so the assholes and teens are not up yet.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
russweiss
Maniac

I go to the theater 3-4 times a month and very rarely is there a problem with distracting audience members. It is much easier to get distracted at home especially if you aren't watching the film at night when it's dark.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #11
maybrick
HackMaster

It seems that most of the time the only way my kids will sit though an entire movie is in a movie theater. At home they usually fidget and talk or start reading a book. So despite some of the unpleasantries about going out to the cinema there are a few benefits.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
ronnie21
HackMaster

Yeah, my point here is that at home you do get distracted.. so at least the theater your attention is on the big screen. or small...
Old 09-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #13
buck135
The Duke of New York

I rarely go to the theater anymore. If I do, it's to an Imax theater (not a Limax). There the kiddies can make all the noise they want. I won't hear them.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

My local movie theater, if you go to the first showing of the day, is only $5.00. On September 1st, I finally saw The World's End, and I was the only person in the whole theater, until the end credits, when two guys came in for the next showing. It was so great, and it's the first time in a very long time, when I was the only person in the whole theater for the entire movie. I'm purchasing The World's End when it comes out on Blu-Ray, hopefully in a few months, since I already own Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz on Blu-Ray

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
Marclar
Victim

You just had a bit of bad luck that evening. It happens. I hate those types of moments myself. While the theater is always nice, nothing beats watching a good movie in a quiet privacy of your home. You just need to prep for it and hope that no unforseen distractions suddenly pop up. Better luck next time!
Marclar is offline   Reply With Quote