Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Site Polls

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Friday the 13th film?
Friday the 13th 12 12.00%
Friday the 13th, Part II 21 21.00%
Friday the 13th, Part 3D 14 14.00%
Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter 24 24.00%
Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning 5 5.00%
Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives 13 13.00%
Friday the 13th, Part VII: The New Blood 2 2.00%
Friday the 13th, Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 4 4.00%
Jason Goes to Hell 1 1.00%
Jason X 1 1.00%
Freddy vs. Jason 1 1.00%
Friday the 13th (2009) 0 0%
You and your friends are dead, game over. 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
rhett

Favorite Friday the 13th film (Mark II)

In honor of the extensive FRIDAY THE 13TH doc, CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES, and, hell, why not, the less than definitive FRIDAY THE 13TH Blu-ray box set from Warner, let's look back at America's favorite slasher franchise. We did this poll as one of our very first polls here on the site when we converted to the new VB forum format back in 2004 (here), so it will be interesting to see if opinions have changed at all since. That also means we get to add the last two movies that have followed since. There's so much history here, and the series has been so consistent in its level of quality, I'm sure it'll be tough to find a definitive winner here, so share your thoughts below! Remember, love is a lie.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
In honor of the extensive FRIDAY THE 13TH doc, CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES, and, hell, why not, the less than definitive FRIDAY THE 13TH Blu-ray box set from Warner, let's look back at America's favorite slasher franchise. We did this poll as one of our very first polls here on the site when we converted to the new VB forum format back in 2004 (here), so it will be interesting to see if opinions have changed at all since. That also means we get to add the last two movies that have followed since. There's so much history here, and the series has been so consistent in its level of quality, I'm sure it'll be tough to find a definitive winner here, so share your thoughts below! Remember, love is a lie.
I probably picked Part 2 last time but now I prefer 3. I love the atmosphere of 2 more but the kills just aren't very interesting. You can tell that it was severely cut.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
dave13
HackMaster

its hard to resist the knee-jerk reaction to vote for the first one, but I think part 4 is the one I find the most entertaining.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
shape22
HackMaster

I assure everyone I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon. But I've never been a fan of this series. The formulaic nature and irritating characters of the early entries really put me off. And even as a kid I didn't find any of these films remotely scary.

I've grown to enjoy four and six, pretty much polar opposites in terms of mood. I'm going with 6. The humor is less clunky than usual and the action is less focused on irritating teen cardboard cut-outs. And the parody elements make some of the usual stupidity go down a little easier.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
rhett

II has been my go-to for years, and it's still probably my favorite, but I have to admit that of late THE NEW BLOOD really has risen up the scale for me. There's a lot I love about VII. Lar is my favorite final girl, Bernie makes a devilishly campy second bad guy, Hodder was never more menacing, the TV death is still just BRUTAL and I think the whole cast is pretty enjoyable. The thing that always holds it back are the cuts, and it's such a shame because Buechler is an effects god that the stuff on the MPAA floor is probably on par with the Savini stuff we still revere. Even with the cuts though, the kills in 7 are pretty inventive. It's just a damn fun movie. These days, for me, my ranking is probably:

II, TFC, I, VII, V, 3D, VI, VIII, JX, FVJ, JGTH......................Remake
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
MisterTwister
HackMaster

The Final Chapter for me. I love everything about it.

My ranking, as of now, would be...

TFC, II, VI, V, I, 3D, VII, FvJ, JGTH, Reboot, VIII, JX
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

PART IV will always hold a special place in my heart as it was the first one I saw. I spent the weekend at a friend's house (his parents were out of town and his college-aged sister was willing to buy us all the beer and wine coolers we wanted, even though we were 13 years old--LOVE the 80s!). It came on cable and we taped it so we could watch it 13 times.

Somehow, I'm still not sick of it.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Dobby
HackMaster

We have done this already many times over and part 4 always wins LOL! Anyway I voted for part 3 as it's my absolute favorite in the series.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Part II
Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Egg_Shen
broomhead

I'm always torn between parts one and two, but voted two in the poll. Part one has the classic Betsy Palmer monologue and the ending no one can guess (which is fun to experience with the first time viewer who has meticulously followed the clues only to be denied satisfaction for his or her effort), but Part II is overall better made. Not to mention it features a more feral, potato sack wearing Jason. AND it has the classic scene in the bar where they actually try to rationalize the existence of such a person. Plus the fact that Jason is avenging the death of his mother who was in turn avenging his own ostensible death.

My best attempt at a ranking: II, I, TFC, VII, III, VI, V, Jason X,VIII, JGTH

Last edited by Egg_Shen; 09-19-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Were it not for Corey Feldman, The Final Chapter takes the top spot. With him, The Final Chapter finishes behind Part 2 by a hair.

At the moment: 2, 4, 6, 3, 1, 5, 7, Remake, 8, FvJ, JGTH, JX
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th, Part 3D
Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th, Part II
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning
Friday the 13th, Part VII: The New Blood
Friday the 13th, Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Jason X
Jason Goes to Hell
Freddy vs. Jason
Friday the 13th (2009)

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
Body Boy
HackMaster

I, II, TFC, V, III, VIII, VI, VII, Remake, JGTH, FvJ, X
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
I assure everyone I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon. But I've never been a fan of this series.
Not just you, buddy, but then again, I'm not a fan of any of the "franchise" horror films, in that I have to see every single entry in the series. Haven't seen an Elm Street, Hellraiser or a Halloween past #3 in each of those, and in many series (Howling, Children of the Corn, Candyman), I've only seen the first.

Oddly enough, I've probably seen the most F13 films, regardless of my "anti-franchise" attitude. I think I've seen up to part 6, and the remake (which was only because friends of mine were going). As for this poll, I'm torn between 1 and 2, even though I voted for 4 in the first incarnation of this poll. 2 is pretty fast paced, I probably watched it a million times on cable in the summer of 82. And after watching the Blu-Ray a little while ago, it still holds up.

But I think I'm gonna go with 1, even though it does drag a bit. One reason is a story I've told before, where I saw it theatrically in 2008, and enjoyed listening to the audience go from laughs to actual screams as the movie got more serious. The other is as Egg_Shen mentioned, that first time viewers are surprised when Mrs. Vorhees is revealed as the killer. This is one of those rare times that adding some twist for sequels (I.E., Laurie Strode being Michael Myers' sister in Halloween, the long lost Jason taking over as the killer in F13) becomes so ingrained into the casual viewer that it actually makes the first film work BETTER since they were expecting something that is an established fact in all the sequels. Not sure if that last sentence made sense.

So yeah, the first film.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
walkingdude
Megatron

Part 5 is the shit!