Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Site Polls

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Friday the 13th film?
Friday the 13th 12 12.00%
Friday the 13th, Part II 21 21.00%
Friday the 13th, Part 3D 14 14.00%
Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter 24 24.00%
Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning 5 5.00%
Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives 13 13.00%
Friday the 13th, Part VII: The New Blood 2 2.00%
Friday the 13th, Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 4 4.00%
Jason Goes to Hell 1 1.00%
Jason X 1 1.00%
Freddy vs. Jason 1 1.00%
Friday the 13th (2009) 0 0%
You and your friends are dead, game over. 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #31
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Part 2 is my favorite. It was my most anticipated film when it was released but I didn't see it until later that year on a double bill with the first film.
Although I saw and loved Friday #1 on Showtime, the theatrical print was so much more vibrant than the cable version in my eyes. Our tiny TV made all the blood look black.
When Part 2 came on, the theater was near capacity. I remember that final shock really getting the audience good. The cat and mouse chase between Ginny and Jason in the damp, drizzly forest is also one of the best ever filmed.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
spawningblue
Deadite

Nice, Part 2 and 4 are both leading with 13 votes each! haha

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #33
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
In honor of the extensive FRIDAY THE 13TH doc, CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES, and, hell, why not, the less than definitive FRIDAY THE 13TH Blu-ray box set from Warner, let's look back at America's favorite slasher franchise. We did this poll as one of our very first polls here on the site when we converted to the new VB forum format back in 2004 (here), so it will be interesting to see if opinions have changed at all since. That also means we get to add the last two movies that have followed since. There's so much history here, and the series has been so consistent in its level of quality, I'm sure it'll be tough to find a definitive winner here, so share your thoughts below! Remember, love is a lie.

Actually, the first one ever made was by you rhett.

09-27-2001
http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3foru...avorite+Friday
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #34
NaturesMistake
Stalker

Favorites: Parts 1-4

Good: Parts 5 and 6

The rest are alright but don't touch the above.
NaturesMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #35
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Actually, the first one ever made was by you rhett.

09-27-2001
http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3foru...avorite+Friday
TIME WARP!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly
Surprised more people voted for part 2 than the first one. I mean, ok, it had Jason, but other than that Part 2 is just a 1:1 copy of the first. I don't hate it but it is the most unoriginal of the series.
Wholeheartedly disagree with you there, Helly! II brought to the series the whole psychological element with Jason that would be mined in most of the movies since. I think the whole ending with Ginny and the sweater and all that is one of the best and most influential not just in the series but in the evolution of the slasher film in general. Before PART II, if you look at slasher movies like HALLOWEEN, PROM NIGHT, HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE, DON'T GO IN THE WOODS, and even the first FRIDAY the Final Girls are all weaker - they're thrust into the situation and they instincitvely fight back and make it out alive, but I don't really think you can call them assertive or clever in the way they handle the killer. In PART II, Ginny manipulates Jason psychologically, taking real charge of the situation, and that was something that was totally fresh. You look at slasher movies since and you have a much more empowering and cerebral approach to dealing with menace by the Final Girls (Nightmare on Elm Street, The Seduction, Psycho II, Curtains, Friday 4, American Nightmare, etc.). The second FRIDAY never gets enough respect for this.

FRIDAY 2 also deserves a lot of credit for the whole "campfire" mythology it imbues into the slasher genre, turning the tale into a legend that transcends just hearsay or traditional plotting. It turns the killer into something grander than just a guy with a knife. MADMAN and THE BURNING came out the same year, but it's pretty common knowledge that they were made knowing already what FRIDAY 2 was bringing to the table (the Panaglide operator on FRIDAY 2 even went on to run camera on THE BURNING weeks after). Jason was a jump scare ripoff of CARRIE in the first film, but in the second he became the legend we all remember today. That's all on the second film, not the first.

You look at how the Final Girl from the first film gets killed off unexpectedly, or how the annoying prankster actually makes it out alive and you see that FRIDAY II also wasn't afraid to subvert the rules and pave its own path. As much as I love the first film, the second has a much more distinctive vision and is a noticeable improvement on most measurable rubrics, like story, pacing, editing, cinematography, acting, etc. And as for originality, I'd actually argue that FRIDAY II is the least derivative of all the films, since it set so many of the conventions we now know for the FRIDAY series. All the sequels are going down II's path, not the first.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #36
thing
Maniac

Part IV
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part VI
Jason Goes to Hell
Freddy vs Jason
Part VII
Jason X
Remake
Part XIII
Part V
Old 09-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #37
Dobby
HackMaster

Who in the hell voted for that pile of shit FvJ?
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #38
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
You look at how the Final Girl from the first film gets killed off unexpectedly, or how the annoying prankster actually makes it out alive and you see that FRIDAY II also wasn't afraid to subvert the rules and pave its own path.
the fact that Part II introduces a huge camp full of counselors, and then sends half of them off to a party, where they completely avoid the slaughter back at the camp, is something that made it feel a little different to me. I suppose it's something that's more interesting in retrospect, when compared to the films that came afterwards, where pretty much every single character that is set up is either killed by or plays a part in killing the villain. But I think that, along with all the other things you mentioned, definitely give Part II a unique feel.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #39
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

I've thought about this a lot lately bad I definitely think Final Chapter is my favourite.

I'd rank them all like this:

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter 10/10 - not the first one I ever saw but the first one I owned. I just love it from start to finish think it's definitely the best of the series.
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives 9.5/10 - the most fun of the series, it's what I consider to be the true 80s a Friday film.
Friday the 13th (2009) 9/10 - vastly underrated in my opinion, it has everything a Friday film needs, good kills, hot chicks, good scares etc. love it. Finally, Derek Mears for me is the best of the Jason's, something I feel was down to the fact that he was able to adapt the best elements from those who came before.
Friday the 13th Part II 8.5/10 - this might have been the last Friday film I saw when I got into the series (which was before Jason X) and it surprised me how good it was, I think it betters the original in many ways. Also I didn't miss the hockey mask like I thought I would.
Freddy vs Jason 8/10 - more looking back on how much I enjoyed this when it was released. I think looking at it now the acting is very cringeworthy but the final fight is still a pleasure to watch. Still this film will forever be the greatest cinematic experience of my life, the audience was totally into it and it delivered.
Friday the 13th (1980) 8/10 - it's the original it's fantastic but unfortunately much like Psycho once you know the twist ending that's it. You know it. Still a great film, Kevin Bacon's death is the standout for he bad it just has an overall great feel.
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood 7/10 - admittedly if this was uncut it'd be higher on my list. Kane Hodder who upon til Mears was my favourite Jason. This is his finest performance and the best Jason look ever.
Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday 6/10 - a good horror film but it fails as a Friday film, still I enjoy it and the real Jason stuff that's in there is great.
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 5/10 - if I'm in the mood I can enjoy this but it can be fun to watch with friends but it's wholly ridiculous. Jason is magic in this one able to transport to wherever.
Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning 4.5/10 - ermm if I'm in the mood I enjoy it, the copycat Jason stuff doesn't even bother me it's just the ridiculous way it happened. It really needed a better plot.
Friday the 13th: Part III 3/10 - in my opinion the most overrated of the series, it's an awful film, cheapest looking of the series. The narrative is awful, the characters aren't relate able or likeable. Outside of Brooker as Jason I have no idea why this one is loved so much.
Jason X 2/10 - opening is cool then after that it just gets worse and worse.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy

Last edited by Bobbywoodhogan; 04-27-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #40
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I probably picked Part 2 last time but now I prefer 3. I love the atmosphere of 2 more but the kills just aren't very interesting. You can tell that it was severely cut.
The kills aren't interesting in Part 2?! It has two of the best kills in the series. The wheelchair one and the spear through two people.

Quote:
II has been my go-to for years, and it's still probably my favorite, but I have to admit that of late THE NEW BLOOD really has risen up the scale for me. There's a lot I love about VII. Lar is my favorite final girl, Bernie makes a devilishly campy second bad guy, Hodder was never more menacing, the TV death is still just BRUTAL and I think the whole cast is pretty enjoyable. The thing that always holds it back are the cuts, and it's such a shame because Buechler is an effects god that the stuff on the MPAA floor is probably on par with the Savini stuff we still revere. Even with the cuts though, the kills in 7 are pretty inventive. It's just a damn fun movie. These days, for me, my ranking is probably:
Is the TV death you mention the one when Jason gives the axe to the pretty but b-word blonde girl then throws her over the TV? That is rough. The best thing about Kane Hodder is the anger he plays Jason with.

I picked Friday the 13th Part 6. I like Part 2 a lot. But I think the atmosphere and the classic hockey mask really push Part 6 to the top. The music is great too. Perhaps remembering Part 6 the most from when I was young helps too. I don't remember which Friday the 13th I saw first. I only remember small bits and pieces.

Part 1 - I remember the twist.

Part 2 - I remember the Ginny, Terry's nude scene, and the unclear ending.

Part 3 - I didn't remember much at all.

Part 4 - Another unclear one. But I remember a lot of people going through windows.

Part 5 - I remember the black guy singing in the outhouse and the kid running like the road runner when Jason shows up. Also, that one guy singing a swear word song when the car won't start. And probably most importantly that it wasn't Jason in the end.

Part 6 - I remembered this one the most. Pretty much the whole movie.

Part 7 - I only recently saw this one completely uncut. Perhaps in the last 5 to 7 years.

Part 8 - I probably remember this one the most after Part 6.

That's where my young experience with Jason stopped.

My ranking would be:

Part 6, Part 2, Part 8, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason, then everything else. After that it's sort the favorite moments or something.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 09-23-2013 at 06:00 PM.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #41
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Part 5 - I remember the black guy singing in the outhouse and the kid running like the road runner when Jason shows up. Also, that one guy singing a swear word song when the car won't start. And probably most importantly that it wasn't Jason in the end.
Ha ha who could forget "ooh ooh baby"

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #42
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
My ranking would be:

Part 6, Part 2, Part 8, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason, then everything else. After that it's sort the favorite moments or something.
Gah!
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #43
dayglo
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
Ha ha who could forget "ooh ooh baby"
Who could forget indeed...

Have you seen this gem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLW4fjN88U

dayglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #44
Dobby
HackMaster

Cum on you chicken shit who voted for FvJ show yourself!!
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #45
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayglo View Post
Who could forget indeed...

Have you seen this gem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLW4fjN88U
Aww my iPad won't play it