Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
spawningblue
Deadite

I've only seen a few of these...

Evil Laugh - I haven't seen this years, and I watched it when I hadn't really dipped into the lower caliber slashers. Taking that into account, I found it really dull and low budget. I might throw this in for Oct. though and give it a second chance now that I have seen a lot more of the lesser slashers.

Girls Nite Out - I had a lot of fun this one. Great idea with the killings taking place during an all night college scavenger hunt. Also, the killer wears a bear suit with knifes for claws, how awesome is that?

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie - One of the better zombie movies in my opinion, although it is much different and a little slower paced then the standard formula.

Night of the Comet - This is another movie that I need to give another viewing before I judge it too harshly, but I remember being disappointed with this one especially after all the hype. It's has a cool premise though and is definitely a product of the 80s which is a good thing to me. I can't wait to check it out again with Scream's Bluray of this.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes - Amazing movie, one of Price's best! Price gets revenge of those responsible for his wife's death using the ten plagues of Egypt as inspiration.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Night School - Decent slasher, bought the WB Archive release without hesitation.
Killer Party - It was just OK for me. More silly entertainment than horror.
Mortuary - I need to rewatch, but I recall my initial viewing back in the day left me very bored.
Silent Scream - must have, fun slasher.
Evil Laugh - The cheese factor in this is too good to pass up. Worth it for $4 I paid for it.
Girls Nite Out - Good 80's slasher given everything else that came out in that time period.
Funeral Home - good creepiness to it, but that's about it. slow paced, but good. Needs a real DVD release.
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie - must have zombie creepy fun.
The House with the Laughing Windows - haven't seen it.
The Final Terror - one of my favorites, must own but needs a better DVD release.
The Toolbox Murders - haven't seen it.
Night of the Comet - people seem to like this more than I do. I think it plays like an ABC TV movie. It's entertaining enough, but not a must for me.
Sole Survivor - Not one of the greatest CodeRed releases, but fairly well done and a decent watch. You're not missing much if you skip it, but shouldn't be regretting if you do get it.
Deathdream - I revisited this recently and found it to be really good. I like it. Creepy story and definitely somewhat sad.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
Girls Nite Out - Good 80's slasher given everything else that came out in that time period.
This sort of implies that shit was being released at the time in 82-84 (which I disagree with), lol
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

MORTUARY has a very TV-movie feel and it's almost devoid of blood and gore but what it lacks in this area is made up in atmosphere. I saw the movie when I was about 8 or 9 in a theater and it gave me nightmares for a while. I suppose there's a bit of nostalgia in my loving the film as much as I do so I don't think anyone who hasn't seen the film under similar circumstances will appreciate it the same way.

THE FINAL TERROR is only behind Just Before Dawn as the best backwoods slasher flick ever made IMO. There's just an intense sense of dread throughout the movie, you can almost feel the wet dampness of the forest as you watch the events unfold.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
This sort of implies that shit was being released at the time in 82-84 (which I disagree with), lol
Ha, not what I meant at all. My point is there's a bunch of movies that came out in this period and I felt it was one of the better ones. Held true to the campy slasher flavor I love.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
Body Boy
HackMaster

Ah! Gotcha. Words dumbfangle me again.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
spawningblue
Deadite

I got Sole Survivor confused with the Eliza Dushku pic Soul Survivors. I have actually seen Sole Survivor and thought it was okay. It has a nice sense of dread throughout but is overall pretty dull. Cool idea that in my opinion wasn't presented as well as it could have been. I would rather watch any of the Final Destination movies over this one.

My Movie Collection

Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #23
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Ah! Gotcha. Words dumbfangle me again.
No, you're right - I should have been clearer. I thought the same thing for a sec when I first typed it. I love that era too!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Mortuary-I thought this one was really dull. Sold my copy soon after purchasing it.

Silent Scream-Pretty good. I need to eventually buy it.

Evil Laugh-Fun 80's cheese.

Girls Nite Out-Another fun one.

The Toolbox Murders-I really liked this one.

Night of the Comet-I love 80's cheese but this one has never done it for me.

Deathdream-Bob Clarke does it again.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #25
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Tell me about Humanoids from the Deep, California Axe Murders, Anthropophagus, Madhouse, Island of Death and the Night Train Murders?

I've already seen it and don't liking it much the first time, but should I give The Funhouse another chance? I haven't seen it in a long time.

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition

Last edited by vampyr789; 09-24-2013 at 07:56 AM.
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #26
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyr789 View Post
Tell me about Humanoids from the Deep, California Axe Murders, Anthropophagus, Madhouse, Island of Death and the Night Train Murders?

I've already seen it and don't liking it much the first time, but should I give The Funhouse another chance? I haven't seen it in a long time.
Humanoids and Anthropophagus are both fantastic. Humanoids is sleazy beyond measure, and Anthropophagus is great slow-building euro-horror.

Night Train Murders is...ok. It basically wants to be Last House on the Left on a train, and to a certain extent succeeds. Not as affecting though.

I was a little underwhelmed by The Funhouse the first time I saw it as well, but it's grown on me. I'd say give it another shot.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
Sole Survivor - Not one of the greatest CodeRed releases, but fairly well done and a decent watch. You're not missing much if you skip it, but shouldn't be regretting if you do get it.
I disagree. I have 90% of Code Red's initial output (before Bill went private), and I would say Soul Survivor is one of the best films of the whole bunch in terms of actual quality.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #28
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyr789 View Post

Which Madhouse are you talking about? If it's the Price version from 1974, it's a lot of fun and definitely worth a watch! The only other film I've seen on that list is Humanoids from the Deep which is also a sleazy good time!

As for The Funhouse. I felt the same way when I first saw it. After all the hype I heard for it I came away very disappointed. It doesn't do enough with the cool funhouse premise and it's not really a slasher film. It kind of has that TV movie of the week feel, where it's more of a drama with horror elements. That being said, I picked up the Scream Blu-ray and am excited to give it another chance. A lot of the other movies I was disappointed with at that time, I have given a second viewing and came away very happy so, sometimes expectations can ruin your opinion of a movie.

My Movie Collection

Last edited by spawningblue; 09-24-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I disagree. I have 90% of Code Red's initial output (before Bill went private), and I would say Soul Survivor is one of the best films of the whole bunch in terms of actual quality.
Well, I had to watch it 3 times to get through it without falling asleep
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Humanoids from the Deep - I'm honestly not a huge fan of this movie, but Shout Factory's blu-ray is gorgeous. Probably the best transfer of their Corman line. Excellent disc, so-so movie.

Anthropophagus - I love this movie, but I would hesitate to recommend it. It's flawed and somewhat plodding, however it has atmosphere like no other. The setting is just so gorgeous and creepy that I find it wholly engaging.

Madhouse - Is this is the 1981 slasher movie that Dark Sky released? If so, I thought it was okay, but it's not something I would ever watch again. If you skip it, you're not missing much.

Island of Death - It has been a long time since I've seen this, so I don't remember much about it. Personally, I prefer Nico Mastorakis' lighter efforts like The Zero Boys, Grandmother's House, or The Wind. But I'd still recommend it.

Night Train Murders - I'm not a huge fan of Italian films or overly sleazy movies, so I avoided this until the Blue Underground blu-ray. But when I finally did see it, I was very impressed. An effective and well-done re-do of Last House On The Left. Recommended.

The Funhouse - When I used to see this movie on TV as a kid, I thought it was just okay. But then I saw it in 2.35:1 widescreen and was completely blown away. It was like seeing a completely different movie. I think it's an atmospheric masterpiece and it is now one of my all-time favorite horror movies.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote