Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

After watching this I can see why this documentary is string up so much controversy because some of the claims made by the interviewees are outlandish and insane. The one theory I do agree with, and the one I came to the conclusion too several years ago, is The Shining is an allegory for history being doomed to repeat itself if we don't learn from the past.

But, many of the theories presented I couldn't disagree with more. One man claims the film is filled with hints and clues about the Moon Landing footage. According to this man, Kubrick was the one who directed the "fake" moon landing footage and points out various examples from the film that include Danny wearing an Apollo 11 sweater, how the carpeting is patterned after the NASA launch pad, and that the 237 room key, which says ROOM No. on it, is an anagram for "Moon Room" (I wish I was making this shit up). Some of the other theories include, but are not limited to the genocide of the Native Americans, the Holocaust, Minotaurs, screen dissolves that shows a janitor as a giant sweeping up the forest, the appearance of the number or numbers divisible by 42, among other things.

Now, all the interviewees make it clear they didn't notice these various clues and subliminal messages until viewing The Shining dozens, if not hundreds of times. That being said, just because you watch something a million times and start to see patterns doesn't mean they exist. I'm sure if you watched Deuce Bigalow a million times you could draw bizarre conclusions as well. Psychologists have a term for people who see patterns that aren't really there (I'm blanking on the name of that disorder) and clearly some of these people suffer from just that.
Regardless of my harsh criticisms of the people involved and some of the theories presented, I still recommend everyone see it. At the very least it will make you think.

Last edited by Hatchetwarrior; 04-03-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Hatchetwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

HAHA…That sounds nuts! I love outlandish conspiracy theorist stuff like this. I can’t wait to see this. I always thought the Native Americans one was true though.

I wonder if Stephen King as seen it yet and what his thoughts on it are.

Any news regarding a release on physical media?

Last edited by Chomp; 04-03-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
highclassrob
Stalker

now I want to see a subliminal conspiracy theory ridden Duece Bigalow documentary. "That's a Big Bitch"
highclassrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
Mok
HackMaster

I turned it off after getting annoyed with bullshit theories. There were a couple that I think are valid though. One of which I picked up on to a lesser degree myself.

I kind of don't feel this one deserves spoiler tags because of how annoying it is so take this as a warning, spoiler ahead:

The theory that The Shining is a commentary on the holocaust of Native Americans. The imagery is present throughout as well as the mention of the burial ground. What I didn't catch was a very clever fade where Kubrick goes from a stack of luggage to a group of people. As they pointed it out, I got where they were going before they explained so I think it was intentional. Also there's a scene where the Overlook fades to a custodian mopping the floor. The ladder next to him visually echos the roof of the hotel and is reminiscent of a tipis.

The other one I thought was interesting was the Danny / Dopey thing.

Last edited by Mok; 08-19-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I saw this at a Film Festival a couple weeks ago (followed by a midnight screening of The Shining). I thought it was fucking horrible, and I was pissed I paid $10 to see it on the big screen.

It's not even a movie, it's just an audio commentary that plays over clips from the film (as well as clips from various other movies including Demons). This is little more than a YouTube video or a DVD extra, not something that deserves its own theatrical release.

Just a bunch of people blowing their wads over what a genius Kubrick is. "Kubrick is such a genius because he strategically placed the typewriter on the hotel owner's desk in a way that it appears the hotel owner has an erection". Give me a fucking break. Do they actually think that was intentional?

Did you guys know that if you play The Shining forwards and backwards at the same time and overlap the images, there are maybe two or three moments in the entire two and half hour movie that bear a creepy correlation to each other? NO WAY! Kubrick is SUCH A GENIUS FOR DELIBERATELY DOING THAT!

The only two bits of information here that I thought were interesting were that Jack was reading a Playgirl in the hotel lobby, and that the TV they are watching doesn't have a power cord. I just saved you from wasting your money on this piece of shit audio commentary being passed off as a documentary.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
thing
Maniac

the moon landing is the only one you need to see but the whole thing was put together pretty nicely and cheaply
Old 09-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #22
Chomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
It's not even a movie, it's just an audio commentary that plays over clips from the film (as well as clips from various other movies including Demons). This is little more than a YouTube video or a DVD extra, not something that deserves its own theatrical release.
Actually, I've seen YouTube documentaries put together far more professionally than this sorry excuse. Never mind the bullshit theories (Ullman's paper tray hard-on, Kubrick's face in the clouds, 2 x 3 x 7 = 42, ALL of the Holocaust references) this is probably the cheapest most retarded thing I have ever seen. That douchebag with the screaming kid in the background....how do you honestly keep that in? How are we suppose to take this shit seriously? And every time he talks he sounds like he is fucking stoned throughout. He giggles like a bitch after everything he says!

How about that sweet "not-to-scale" horribly inaccurate map drawn in MSPaint?...or random movie clips in various states of pixelated piss poor quality. I seriously have not the slightest clue as to how the makers of this documentary(?) conned MPI or IFC into getting this thing into theaters, VOD, and released onto BD/DVD. This thing has a poster, a soundtrack, it was shown in theaters, people paid money for this (including myself)...WHY?!?!

The soundtrack, however, is fucking amazing...almost worth sitting through this garbage. I mean its really really good. There's a short "Making of the Soundtrack" extra on the BD that was really nice. And the Panel Discussion at the Stanley Film Festival was really interesting too....far more interesting than Room 237. I'd say you'd be better off just watching that instead.

Last edited by Chomp; 09-28-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #23
SickNick89
Stalker

I bought this On Demand and turned it off 40 minutes in because I couldn't stand to listen to those pretentious doughbags a second longer.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Someone on the blu-ray.com forums posted this YouTube review, which is not only more entertaining and informative than the piece of shit Room 237 documentary, but better made as well.

My favorite part? Jump to 7:15.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
Erick H.
HackMaster

I saw it during it's theatrical run and I have to say it is far more revealing about the people being interviewed than in is about THE SHINING.As a slice on insight into the making of the Kubrick classic it's pretty shallow but as a view of obsession manifesting itself in a diverse group of people it's certainly unique,if a bit maddening.Some of the interpretations of the films "hidden meaning" ARE rather interesting,others seem like the type of discussions psychology majors might have in a dorm room after smoking some REALLY potent pot.A couple though,I swear I expected the camera to pull back to reveal that the person being interviewed was framed inside a padded cell.Somewhere I wonder if Kubrick isn't laughing his ass of about all this naval gazing regarding a film that,for him,probably seemed pretty mainstream.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
soxfan666
Maniac

It is on Netflix streaming now.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
Franco
Weekender

I agree with some of the people here. Turned it off after some minutes. There're "explanations" or interpretations that fall into the ridicule.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
Chomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Someone on the blu-ray.com forums posted this YouTube review, which is not only more entertaining and informative than the piece of shit Room 237 documentary, but better made as well.

My favorite part? Jump to 7:15.
Hahahaha..."this movie gets a 42 out of 237".
Old 09-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

"Hey, if you play the movie backwards and forwards at the same time, some of the things match up... at certain times... but only sometimes..."
Old 10-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #30
soxfan666
Maniac

Just finished this and agree that almost everything is people grasping at straws, especially the Minotaur. I did like the bit about the moon landing though, even if it isn't believable.