Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #46
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Well played, movie. Very well played. As you can imagine, given my typically feminist leanings (which some right here have regarded as a dirty word), I have a few concerns with the structure of these movies. It's the same problem I have with the glut of torture films of 2003-2013: you can't keep making dozens of dozens (of dozens) of movies about the same damn thing, exactly the same way, and expect it to have gravity, depth, or power to it.
I'm pleased to see you enjoying such a...well, sleazy film. I'd probably rate it about the same.

Since you brought it up, though, I did want to ask you if you really think that there are active members here who have a problem with feminism as a concept? I mean, anything can be taken too far, and when I hear about (to use a current example) people calling for the lyrics to the Canadian national anthem to be changed from "in all thy son's command" to something (as yet unspecified) that is gender neutral, I can only sigh and roll my eyes. But as far as straight-across-the-board, 100% equality between men and women goes, I can't think of any recent exchange in which anybody came down against that.

I must admit, however (and I hope I don't offend you in this) that your zealous condemnation of any film you perceive to be misogynistic does sometimes strike me as a little...out of place. Considering that you're a man. I mean, I certainly understand the concept of an "ally", but I think that there's a difference between an ally and someone who has been directly discriminated against. For example, as someone who is a) white, b) straight, and c) male, I do feel justified in condemning racism, homophobia, and sexism. However, only up to certain limits. There does come a point where I no longer have the authority that can only be gained by direct experience. It does sometimes seem that you write from a position of authority that, as a man, you can't have.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #47
DVD-fanatic-9
What Did I Say?

SPOILER BELOW!

Movie #5, around ... well, it's the only film I watched this afternoon -
Witchboard (1986 / directed by Kevin S. Tenney) -

The film famous for predicting Tawny Kitaen would become a music video icon. Not the slightest bit shocking, since she looks like Poison and Janet Jackson in that suit before her Loverboy turns into Peter Gabriel as he flies backward, out the window, to his dea...wait, no, the movie's twist is that he lives, she lives, the obnoxiously overeager detective jack-of-trades gets to live. Leaving me searching my Horror Memory Rolodex for another climax that took place in the bright morning in a white house (Witchery). Half of which could be scored to "Wild, Wild West" (especially the pic I snagged above). The wherefor and why of this mild cackler of a flick is: search me. All that's missing from that coda is Airplane!'s Montage of Insane Smiles (you remember the one). Not all was wasted: who knew my general knowledge of music videos would come in handy? At least it wasn't Night of the Demons.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #48
MisterTwister
HackMaster

October 1st:
Twins of Evil (1971)-9/10
Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge (1991)-9/10
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973)-9/10
Hell's Trap (1990)-8/10
Cemetery of Terror (1985)-9/10
Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #49
DVD-fanatic-9
What Did I Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Since you brought it up, though, I did want to ask you if you really think that there are active members here who have a problem with feminism as a concept? I mean, anything can be taken too far, and when I hear about (to use a current example) people calling for the lyrics to the Canadian national anthem to be changed from "in all thy son's command" to something (as yet unspecified) that is gender neutral, I can only sigh and roll my eyes. But as far as straight-across-the-board, 100% equality between men and women goes, I can't think of any recent exchange in which anybody came down against that.
No, not as a concept- I think it's the typical bafflement on their part that anyone truly believes in feminism. That in 2013, they believe there's still a need for it. Which means believing that women are the victims of actual sexist attitudes and opinions, even by people who don't know they're belittling women, all the time. Or that the attitudes affect what women have to deal with in today's world in the slightest.

Quote:
I must admit, however (and I hope I don't offend you in this) that your zealous condemnation of any film you perceive to be misogynistic does sometimes strike me as a little...out of place. Considering that you're a man. I mean, I certainly understand the concept of an "ally", but I think that there's a difference between an ally and someone who has been directly discriminated against. For example, as someone who is a) white, b) straight, and c) male, I do feel justified in condemning racism, homophobia, and sexism. However, only up to certain limits. There does come a point where I no longer have the authority that can only be gained by direct experience. It does sometimes seem that you write from a position of authority that, as a man, you can't have.
In black and white, no interpreting, I don't follow you in this. If you're questioning why I bother to take so many films to task for this - as in, why I may be taking it personally - there are a few reasons. One being that I believe there's a direct correlation between homophobia and sexism, so believe it or not- I think I am directly affected by bad attitudes in culture, the media, the world regarding women. The attitude that women are weak by behavior does affect the way gay men are treated because, as women are attacked for looking like men (Winona Ryder was literally beaten to near death in public as a child, this is a fact, for looking like a boy), so I believe men are attacked for showing physical affection toward another man. As much as I'd love to blame religion as though that's where the desire to gay-bash comes from, I know it's not- religious people are typically the most ignorant about the literal text on the faith they preach. Gays, lesbians, and transsexuals are the targets of hate because of sexism.

Another reason is that I believe there's a trend within the gay male community of focusing on our own issues until we get what we want, then some often revert back to casual sexism themselves. There's always been a strong thread of sexism in the gay community, much like self-hate and self-denial. I don't like this idea, it makes me feel a significant portion of my community is represented by selfish ingrates. While gay rights are making tremendous strikes forward, women's rights are being set back to the stone age. Slowly, but surely. Not only is re-criminalizing abortion becoming a reality in several states as I speak, the GOP are actually spearheading a campaign that's even set its sights on limiting contraception as well. I never thought in my life I would see anti-condom legislation plans make the news. Meanwhile, if I didn't follow political organizations on Facebook, I would be bombarded by "ew, don't bum me out" folks posting links to the new twitty Britney Spears track like it's the bomb. (It isn't.)

I've always condemned conservative attitudes I see as harmful, insulting, or illogical and I've always been interested in the messages embedded in entertainment many in the mainstream wouldn't think about. Some of that has passed through the horror community as well- don't think about it, just enjoy it. I can do that. I'm like anyone else, I get that: I don't see everything. I just speak up when I'm think I'm onto something. And, no, I haven't had any dreams that I'm a woman lately. This is all strictly from what you seem to be branding an ally.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #50
msw7
Morso a morte

Tonight - Friday the 13th Part 1, blu ray (uncut).

It really lacks tension/horror, but the picture quality was phenomenally good, and it was nice to see the gore effects.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #51
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

10.01.13 (1)

Silent Hill: Revelation (2012) (Blu-ray)

Never liked Silent Hill but I got more entertainment out of the sequel. Go figure. Revelation is not a great movie, and the first 30 minutes or so can be laughably bad. But once it gets rolling the fun begins. Enjoyable.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #52
DVD-fanatic-9
What Did I Say?

October 2nd

SPOILER BELOW!

Movie #6, around 1:45 AM -
The Changeling (1980 / directed by Peter Medak) -

Classy whiny-ghost horror films have a certain structure that I have never before been keen on and that never will change. Apart from the obvious - that it just isn't freaking scary when a child's voice whispers or a book tips over on its own or a ball bounces down the stairs - an absurd amount of dramatic escalation is required for the hauntee's to undergo to give the ghost its sorrow & tragedy cred. Which translates to me as melodrama. Eventually transforming into a scene like the wheelchair chasing the ultra-sweet and sophisticated Historical Preservation Society lady screaming through the house until she has a tumble down the stairs which could have killed her. The same is clearly true for George C as well, being stabbed in the neck by a broken mirror, almost crushed by a falling chandelier, and dropped from the second story. I respect what this film in particular did to make it through horror customs, but aren't we meant to sympathize with this spirit? When it's not being silly to these poor people, it's just unfair.

On the other hand... Evil Republican Money & Murder Conspiracy Subplot!!! Someone just rang my dinner bell. And...OH, how sweet it is! You want this little charity-fucker to have no remorse? Done. How about having his thug-goon minion die in a sensationalistic act-of-God style freak accident scene? Boom. And, done. A little teary-eyed Daddylove (given that the Daddy in question is the root of all the evil in the story)? Got you covered. True to the hard-hearted nature of the haunted house portions of the film, the movie's political axe is swinging full-speed ahead at 150mpr. Shifting this out of Revelation Flick (yawn) into Revenge Movie and never looking back. It's one hell of a ride and the bumpy start was worth putt-putting through to get to the film's rich, meaty center.

Quote:
I'm pleased to see you enjoying such a...well, sleazy film. I'd probably rate it about the same.
Ohp: almost forgot about this one.

Sleaze is inherent, in one form or another, in nearly every horror film. I'm just picky about it.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #53
hulkyduck
Victim

October 1st

Finished off my first day marathon with these classics

4. Cat People (1941) ( Dvd)
Most off the horror is implied in this film and up until the last 15 mins there was real mystery if this is all in irena's head or will she turn into a cat if she kisses her husband. Definitely a lesson in the less is more style of filmmaking.

5 . The innocents (1961) (Dvd)
First time viewing. Mental illness seems to be a theme in most of the films I have watched today . Ambiguous ghost story with no real resolution, we're the kids possessed or did the nanny suffer from a nervous breakdown, plenty of evidence to support either , excellent performances from both child actors who switch from childlike to creepy effortlessly , a real classic which should be seen by everyone in these forums.

6. The Haunting (1963) (Dvd)
A film open to several interpretations was Nell haunting the house or was the house haunting her. Unique camera angles and great use of sound help create a very chilling atmosphere, for me the best haunted house flick made.

7. Dracula - Spanish version (1931) (Blu Ray)
First time viewing. More fleshed out story and better pacing than the American version, the main supporting cast all do an excellent job and more than hold their own against their counterparts. Compared to Bela Lugosi , Carlos Villarius portrayal of the count is hammy and over the top and several of the faces he pulls when trying to look menacing made me feel he was needing a good bowel movement. Overall though really enjoyed this version.
hulkyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #54
Silent Noize
Maniac

October 1st

01. Night Gallery: The Cemetery

October 2nd

02. Night Gallery - Little Black Bag
Old 10-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #55
Paff

Keep posting your lists, folks. I've got all horror on the top of my Netflix queue, but I'm always looking for that "gem" that I've never seen before. I'm guessing World War Z is not it.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #56
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Keep posting your lists, folks. I've got all horror on the top of my Netflix queue, but I'm always looking for that "gem" that I've never seen before. I'm guessing World War Z is not it.
Ummmm no, not a fan of the WWZ.
Watched it last week, some impressive visuals but otherwise as that character from Prince of Darkness would say 'Caca!!'.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #57
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

October 2nd

3) Occupant: A semi-slick, 70's-esque supernatural thriller in vein of The Sentinel or The Tenant. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as creepy as The Sentinel or as paranoia educing as the Tenant. The ending is some what up for interpretation, but the events leading up to the climax are less than stellar. (6/10)

4) The Awakening: This one turned out a little bit better than I thought. The biggest problem here is the movie plays by the book to a fault, following all the same tropes in every skeptic vs. believer supernatural film. Also, the twist thrown at the end is really idiotic and somewhat frustrating. On a more positive note, Rebecca Hall did a great job and I only hope the best for her. (6/10)
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #58
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

October 1st!

The Gate (1987)

If I've seen this before, I completely forgot about it--vaguely familiar but much of it was new to me, including the awesome Sacrifyx LP! So cool. I wish there were an album that had so much text and evilness.

Otherwise, cheesy, cheesy 80s nonsense. The toy rocket holds the key to mankind's salvation, what? Nobody sweats a young Stephen Dorff levitating? A child named Glenn? The rampant homophobic slurs? The non-threatening--AT ALL--creatures that playfully romp around? Terry--seriously, Terry, what the fuck is wrong with Terry? Oh yeah, his Mom died, so that explains the rainbow makeshift cloak that he sports while rockin' out in his bedroom with his Sacrifyx LP.

** full-on CHEESE stars.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #59
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkyduck View Post

4. Cat People (1941) ( Dvd)
Most off the horror is implied in this film and up until the last 15 mins there was real mystery if this is all in irena's head or will she turn into a cat if she kisses her husband. Definitely a lesson in the less is more style of filmmaking.
One of my all-time favorites. Jacques Tourneur introduces maybe the first sound-induced jump-scare in horror cinema (the bus hiss!). DeWitt's script is in tune with the direction, the shadows, the dream sequence, the mystery, the cattiness of it all, so, so good. (I always thought this was 1942, tho, but happy to be wrong.)
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #60
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

So far this month I've watched:

1. The Dead Zone
2. Phenomena
3. Plan 9 From Outer Space
4. The Cabin in the Woods
5. Neither the Sea Nor the Sand

If you want to follow my some live-tweets and screenshot style "guess-the-movie" games, check me out @horror_reviews on Twitter. But message me there so I know who you are.

Last edited by old-boo-radley; 10-02-2013 at 08:46 PM.
old-boo-radley is online now   Reply With Quote