Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Should they have made Michael and Laurie related?
YES, family matters. 18 33.96%
NO, that shit was dumb. 35 66.04%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
CrazyFatEthel
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
Also, my favorite sequels are 5 & 4, and a big part of that is Danielle Harris and the anguish she has losing her mother (JLC) and being Michael's niece. You'd lose such a big emotional dynamic if that were removed.

If there's one thing the series should have been without, it is the whole Thorne/Man in Black thing. I'd have taken Michael in space before that.
Yes! Took the words right out of my mouth!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I think the acting quality in the original Halloween is its only weakness. Halloween 4 seems to think that's one of the things the franchise can't do without.

Let's not kid ourselves- Halloween is probably the single most egregious example of studios and producers cashing in on a franchise. And I only say probably because New Line used this excuse to actually change the ending of the first Nightmare on Elm Street and if you were the filmmaker, you just might have been a bit pissed at one point or another. But every Michael Myers sequel immediately perverts what the original film was about to justify a sequel in the first place: Michael Myers isn't entirely human. He can't be. That's the point. Now, he's human. But still somehow impossible to kill. Which is ridiculous. Meanwhile, over the decades, Carpenter's career is slowly dying the world's most unmercifully agonizing death. Then we get a remake, Carpenter sees not Dime 1 from the profits, and we have an epidemic of snot-faced kids calling the original slow and awful. Kinda seems like the thing that kept it going was the thing that killed it...

Apart from that, none of the Michael Myers sequels really focused on the holiday itself. Ironically, the closest one came to doing so was probably the worst- Curse of Michael Myers. Which immediately sets it apart from other franchises and kind of proves why Friday the 13th is clearly superior: it was sequel-ready from the beginning. Halloween was based on a real concept which had to be carefully thought out. Yet, Elm Street's weaker sequels (which beat the hell out of Halloween's) also labored over how to make it work. I don't see half the thought process being put into Halloween 5. Which almost looks good compared to Halloween II due to the simple fact that there is a story. But II is superior. Better to have no story (and an A-quality score and killer cinematography) than a story entirely botched.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 09-15-2013 at 05:45 PM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

I would have really liked to have seen the unused high rise apartment building idea which was ultimately dropped for part 2!
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I dunno. For some reason, I feel like the hospital was fresher. Easy to say that now after They Came from Within and Demons 2 but, still...
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
Zillamon51
Maniac

For better or worse, Halloween doesn't exist in a vaccum. It's a ten-film franchise. For as long as I can remember, Laurie Strode has been Michael Myer's sister.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
we have an epidemic of snot-faced kids calling the original slow and awful.
WHAT?!?! Where? Who?

I like that they are related. I love the original series AND I like Zombie's films and what he expanded on.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #22
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I hated Michael being made that much more "human" and defined. It was then that I couldn't buy his repeated immunity from gunshots, stab wounds, ect.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #23
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Why not I say? I mean look at Halloween II, I don't think it would have been that interesting just to have Michael going after Laurie cause he didn't get her in the first one. I thought it added an interesting angle to it.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #24
Christy
Stalker

Voted No as I agree I also found it dumb.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #25
Do you see
Victim

I liked the fact that in the original you never really knew why Michael stalked Laurie. Was it an attraction to her when she dropped off the key or was it anger that someone dares trespass on his property? The unknown element I believe leaves the viewer with more of a feeling of fear.
Do you see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #26
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do you see View Post
I liked the fact that in the original you never really knew why Michael stalked Laurie. Was it an attraction to her when she dropped off the key or was it anger that someone dares trespass on his property? The unknown element I believe leaves the viewer with more of a feeling of fear.
Same here - when I first saw it, I felt the most dread for Laurie since it seemed he was saving her murder for something really horrible since he zeroed in on her first.
The Halloween II story twist was just way too easy and just didn't have creative fire - maybe something *more* was just too ambitious? It's like how current movies use that old, tired "...he killed because he was abused as a kid..." and audiences buy it all the time.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #27
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do you see View Post
I feel the same. Myers was the boogeyman at the end. Even if he had the backstory in the opening. When we see what he can do at the end. That's it. He became a horror icon. Everything afterwards he's just another returning sequel character that's been giving way too much backstory. It's like how they added all that unnecessary stuff in the remakes. Or how the Friday the 13th remake needed to give Jason underground tunnels with lights.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #28
HorrorFan24
Screamy Bopper

Was it Carpenter's intent for them to be brother, sister. Its kind of hard for me to imagine the sequels without the relation factor.
HorrorFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 AM   #29
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorFan24 View Post
Was it Carpenter's intent for them to be brother, sister. Its kind of hard for me to imagine the sequels without the relation factor.
I don't know. I recall watching or reading something that Carpenter didn't like the sequel or didn't want to make it.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:31 AM   #30
Franco
Weekender

No.