Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
thing
Maniac

Gravity (2013) Spoiler Free Review

Gravity (2013) 3D

Directed by Alfonzo Cuaron

8-8.5/10

Alfonzo Cuaron does not like many 3D films but has said that he likes a a small handful of other 3D films that like his were made with the third dimension in mind. He also stated that seeing it in 2D would be seeing it at 30% strength and I am inclined to agree as this is absolutely stunning with a depth and a clarity that can only come from a master craftsman. This space film set in modern times with modern technology follows a medical engineer (Sandra Bullock) and an astronaut (George Clooney) who work together to survive after an accident leaves them adrift in space. The first 2 third is pitch perfect in all facets but the last third the scripting gets a little heavy handed and sentimental and the otherwise excellent score went into a few cliche's areas. This can be overlooked as the rest of the film is excellent with some white knuckle excitement inter-mixed with some quiet parts that might put people with a short attention span anxiety. I for one was enthralled throughout and was so into the story that I forgot to touch my snacks and from the well behaved crowd watching it seems that the feeling was cinema wide. I am not sure how this will convert to the small screen but for now it is the best film of the year.

Last edited by thing; 10-03-2013 at 11:59 AM.
thing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
deepred
Maniac

This already had a thread

http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showt...hlight=gravity
Old 10-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I kinda wish I'd seen it in IMAX 3d, would have been mind blowing
Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
I kinda wish I'd seen it in IMAX 3d, would have been mind blowing
Can't wait to see it!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Can't wait to see it!
Look forward to your thoughts
Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

I guess I'll find out over the weekend after I watch it but I'd still like to know what kind of film this is thematically. I love films about space, especially ones that don't have monsters in them but I don't like them to be documentary style like EUROPA REPORT. Cuaron is no hack so I'm not expecting a by-the-numbers time-waster.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
I guess I'll find out over the weekend after I watch it but I'd still like to know what kind of film this is thematically. I love films about space, especially ones that don't have monsters in them but I don't like them to be documentary style like EUROPA REPORT. Cuaron is no hack so I'm not expecting a by-the-numbers time-waster.
I saw Europa Report the same day as Gravity which I liked but Gravity is nothing like it, I am not going to give any spoilers but the plot is very straight forward but the film is all about presentation (that is not to say there is no substance). It is the best reviewed film of the year and rightfully so and I predict it will be taught in film classes for decades to come.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Look forward to your thoughts
I saw this last night. I thought the movie was beautiful visually, especially the opening scene that you have pictured. You really feel like you are out there floating in outer space. Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on the heavy-handedness that creeps into it. I found some of it way too schmaltzy and it didn't have the finesse emotionally that the visuals had. I wish Naomi Watts or Marion Cotillard would have got Bullock's role as apparently they both were considered as they may have made the lines not feel so clunky. I would also have preferred Robert Downey Jr to George Clooney but I guess he had scheduling conflicts and had to drop out.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
msw7
Morso a morte

The 3D in this movie was simply amazing, even for relatively simple things. The final shots of Sandra Bullock in particular made her look like a solid actually real person there in the theater.

The movie may be mostly visual spectacle, but the spectacle is phenomenal.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Paff

Saw it and enjoyed it, though I wished I had attended a 2-D screening (I can't see 3-D due to my left eye, but my friends all wanted to see it in 3-D so that's the screening I attended).

One thing not getting enough attention is the SOUND. They really made great use of directional sound, and not in a gimmicky way. I liked the movie a lot, not sure how it would stand up to repeated viewings, but it's definitely worth seeing theatrically as opposed to waiting for Blu Ray. The incredible size of everything is much better conveyed on the big screen and will certainly lose impact no matter how big your home screen is.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
thing
Maniac

Quote:
I saw this last night. I thought the movie was beautiful visually, especially the opening scene that you have pictured. You really feel like you are out there floating in outer space. Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on the heavy-handedness that creeps into it. I found some of it way too schmaltzy and it didn't have the finesse emotionally that the visuals had. I wish Naomi Watts or Marion Cotillard would have got Bullock's role as apparently they both were considered as they may have made the lines not feel so clunky. I would also have preferred Robert Downey Jr to George Clooney but I guess he had scheduling conflicts and had to drop out.
I am no fan of Bullock but I dunno if I would blame it on her, the written dialogue near the end just wasnt that great
Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
I am no fan of Bullock but I dunno if I would blame it on her, the written dialogue near the end just wasnt that great
The written dialogue wasn't that great but a more gifted actor has the stronger ability to conceal a weak script imo. I certainly don't think Bullock was terrible but I feel there are far better actresses out there.