Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #841
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
Caught Stoker last night. Chan-wook Park's North American debut is a powerhouse mystery whose labyrinthian sense of foreboding atmosphere entangles in an almost fairy tale-esque manner combining family rivalry and India's coming-of-age in a spider's web of deceit, broken truths, and self-discovery. Masterfully told through use of various styles of camera work, from smooth flowing Steadicam work to unnerving handheld and zooms and pans, as well as sound design and score, Stoker is an astutely assured work of art, so meticulously crafted and detailed, this three-dimensional puzzle will have audiences on edge and enveloped in it's grandeur. Performances find the right balance of hidden agenda and theatrical madness at just the right moments. A master film from a master director who has set his footprint on foreign soil.
This was the most visually interesting film--horror or otherwise--that I've seen all year. Spectacular to watch.

The daughter and mother characters, while wonderfully performed, were left in their shells for too long.
Spoiler:
The mother doesn't emerge until the very end, while India breaks through in the shower, in the most intense masturbation scene I've seen.
Both instances are powerful, but only hint at much more beneath the surface of both characters. I wish the story allowed for more growth spurts along the way, but wanting more is a sure sign of a great film. And Stoker was damned great.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #842
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Hey, the transfer in that Lionsgate 8-pack might be in widescreen (it's been almost a year since I've seen it), so you should have no excuse to stop you from buying it. (And you get 976-Evil 2 which I love, so what are you waiting for?)
I actually picked this up a month or two ago, just haven't got around to watching it.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #843
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I just finished rewatching it and it's as good as I remember it. Although I do have to point out that this is really PG stuff. It is rated R but there's no nudity, no gore, almost no blood, and I don't remember any cursing. I can only imagine the reason it's R is because high schoolers re-animate the dead.

Oh, and these are some real South Park cameos- you'll have to keep your eye peeled to spot them. I caught 2 noteworthy horror cast members.

I also finally got around to watching Teen Wolf for the first time. Awful. Bland. Homophobic. Lame. I had to watch the sequel to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. Which is almost as bad but I think I'm going to say was a slight improvement.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #844
rhett

Only one star for THE GATE, Workshed? Explain yourself, son!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #845
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
Only one star for THE GATE, Workshed? Explain yourself, son!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
October 1st!

The Gate (1987)

If I've seen this before, I completely forgot about it--vaguely familiar but much of it was new to me, including the awesome Sacrifyx LP! So cool. I wish there were an album that had so much text and evilness.

Otherwise, cheesy, cheesy 80s nonsense. The toy rocket holds the key to mankind's salvation, what? Nobody sweats a young Stephen Dorff levitating? A child named Glenn? The rampant homophobic slurs? The non-threatening--AT ALL--creatures that playfully romp around? Terry--seriously, Terry, what the fuck is wrong with Terry? Oh yeah, his Mom died, so that explains the rainbow makeshift cloak that he sports while rockin' out in his bedroom with his Sacrifyx LP.

** full-on CHEESE stars.
It looks like I only recorded one star for the tracker, tho. I dunno, this one was rough to sit through.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #846
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Connoisseur View Post
Dog Dick
Explain yourself, buddy!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #847
Workshed
October!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:45 AM   #848
Workshed
October!

2013 film viewing total: 100 exactly! Wow, this may be the most films I've ever watched in a year. I'd like to take this time to thank my family, friends, God, Satan, the month of October, Netflix streaming, scotch, and folding laundry--all of which helped me reach this milestone. Whew!
Old 01-13-2014, 02:40 AM   #849
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
Explain yourself, buddy!
You want he should draw you a picture?

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #850
Workshed
October!

Over the weekend, some friends and I had a 1980s young adult fantasy cheesefest with Labyrinth (1986) and Return to Oz (1985).

It's so great that Labyrinth was made; it really is--especially with Bowie's readily evident, positive involvement. Man, that guy looks like he is having fun kidnapping a baby and seducing a teen and singing about goblins. Speaking of which, what fun is it being the Goblin King, really? You hang out with a bunch of creepy creatures and wear bad makeup and a codpiece? How is that different from the 80s overall?

And then there's Return to Oz, which, upon re-viewing, is a better film to discuss than to watch. "Yeah, man, it's a post-apocalyptic Oz! Dorothy's friends are all dead and she meets a head-hunting witch and a stupid couch and a whirling copper war machine. Plus, Dorothy gets sent to an insane asylum where she gets electro-shock treatment." Sounds cool, yeah? Well, then you watch it and none of the character moments are truly earned, the plot is slapdash, and the ending has absolutely none of the emotional weight as its predecessor. Look, it's impossible for any "Oz" film to live up to the original (and sure, I know Return was based on the second and third books, blah), but the fact that they couldn't do any better than this is pretty sad.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #851
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I think it's about time Netflix uploaded Return to Oz, since Disney have started leaking their titles to Watch Instant (including some bigguns: Hunchback of Notre Dame, Lilo & Stitch, Mulan). They're being stingy with their live-action stuff but they're testing the waters with Escape to Witch Mountain. I'm hoping RtO will soon follow...

And Labyrinth is just plain awesome. Been a fan ever since I was a kid. If you were born in the early 80's, I don't know how you can resist it. And I'm a huge fan of the soundtrack, especially "Underground" and... "Chilly Down" is outright underrated.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #852
Copyboy
Maniac

Just saw The Passion of Darkly Noon and all I can say is oh . . . my . . . GOD! What a fucking MESS this was. It reminded me quite a bit of Tommy Wiseau's The Room only with big names like Viggo Mortensen, Ashley Judd and Brendan Fraser. I can totally see this movie gaining a cult following because of its splendid awfulness. Horrible, horrible, horrible and DEFINITELY worth checking out!
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #853
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyboy View Post
Just saw The Passion of Darkly Noon and all I can say is oh . . . my . . . GOD! What a fucking MESS this was. It reminded me quite a bit of Tommy Wiseau's The Room only with big names like Viggo Mortensen, Ashley Judd and Brendan Fraser. I can totally see this movie gaining a cult following because of its splendid awfulness. Horrible, horrible, horrible and DEFINITELY worth checking out!
That was pretty much my reaction as well. I hated and adored it in equal measure! I'll definitely watch it again!

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #854
rift
Stalker

Only 2.5/5 stars for Fear City from Blackheart? That movie is a classic!
rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #855
Workshed
October!

Finally caught Frances Ha (2013) last night thanks to Netflix streaming, and damn, it was everything I wanted it to be: great characters, clever writing, beautiful cinematography, and a solid ending.

A young dancer struggles to make a living and keep friends in NYC. Her best friend announces that she's leaving the country, and Frances must scramble (or scramble more than she usually does) to figure out her next steps. If you need a sweet pick-me-up, this one's for you.