Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones

the 5th entry into the Paranormal Activity franchise. I enjoyed the series up until number 4, so I was not looking forward to yet another film. But at least this one is taking things into a new direction. From what I can gather they are completely ignoring the existence of the 4th film all together. The film is expected to be released this January.

Offical Trailer
Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
dave13
HackMaster

its usually a bad sign when a series abandons the numbering.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I'd rather have another SAW movie, to be honest. I'm ready for these Footage Films to go away for a while.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

This is a spinoff. From what I gathered a few months back, Paramount is releasing a spin-off next year as well as a "# 5" in the fall.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Wow, that looks awful...
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I think it looks like fun.

I've avoided 4 because of the overwhelming negativity it received (and based on the trailer it deserved it)
Old 10-18-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
Dobby
HackMaster

Garbage
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Mok
HackMaster

I didn't mind 4. I'll give this one a shot. It looks decent enough to me.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Mok
HackMaster

Pwned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz6dib5HDU0
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
Ash28M
HackMaster

Saw this today and it was way better then I expected. I still think part 1 is the best but it's in the same ballpark at 2 and 3 for me. I found the story interesting and the characters likable, Not to mention some nice tension as the camera explored what is around the next corner and location. I also enjoyed the way they tied it into the original. If you are a fan of the series like I am, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't enjoy this entry.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
I'm ready for these Footage Films to go away for a while.
I was feeling the exact same way until I picked up V/H/S 2 and watched it the other day. Found footage doesn't all suck, and V/H/S 2 was probably the best one I've ever seen. At least that's my feeling after first watch before revisiting it to make sure it holds up. I'll revisit this week I'm pretty sure cuz I can't stop thinking of how brilliant a couple of the segments were. Zombie POV = where has it been all my life?!!!!

Cool they're ignoring part PA 4, I've already forgot the whole thing and was ready to quit even trying the series after it. Guess I can keep on libraring them, at least one last time.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #12
CountessOrlok
Screamy Bopper

I really don't understand the hype about this series, and I hate it because I continue watching these films. Although they are not terrible, they aren't anything to be constantly praised in my opinion. They have a tendency to follow the same pattern and I have honestly felt that I've watched the same film four times over. And OF COURSE I am going to end up watching this one... So I say, don't get rid of them, but maybe allow the spotlight to fall on some horror films with 'fresh' ideas. We need more variety in the cinema. Nothing is quite like experiencing a film on the big screen.
CountessOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #13
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I Think this one was leaps and bounds better than the lackluster and boring part 4, but I don't think this one is that great either. Like the previous sequels they do a fair amount of investigating into what the demon is and what it wants, and we get a little bit more insight on the Coven that surrounds it, but not much else. I like how they connected it back to the previous installments (with the exception of Part 4, which they seem to completely ignore) but they really don't do much in pushing the plot forward, it is a lot of retread, almost too much retread. Where this one succeeds, and why I think people who have hated the others will mostly likely enjoy this one, is the amount of action, which there is way more of here.

The ending is probably the best part, offering up a lot of really good tension, chaos and scares that put a smile on my face. But, the final 2 or 3 minutes really confused me.
Spoiler:
It seems that Hector, the one with the camera, manages to "Time travel" back to the time and place Katie killed Micha. How he does this is completely baffling (when being chased around the witch house, he opens a door and the camera footage gets scrabbled and thus ends up at Katie and Micha's home on the night of Micha's death) and it doesn't help that they ruin the mystique behind the ending of the first film. The whole reason it works is because we do not get to see what exactly occurs and that's what makes it so frightening. Here we learn that she kind of just mauls him to death in the most ridiculous fashion ever. (it also seems the two of them can not see Hector) Who proceeds to run off and open another door where he meets his demise at the hands of a demonic Jesse. The film ends with a mysterious women with blonde hair picking up the camera and shutting it off.

I wanted to like this more, but I found it to be a little underwhelming and that it is nothing more than a time killer if you're bored. Entertaining but does little to move the overall plot forward. (6/10)
Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 AM   #14
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure how I felt about it. I couldn't decide if the twist ending was clever or ridiculous.

As for the
Spoiler:
time travel
aspect, they mentioned it briefly earlier in the movie. I don't remember exactly what they said, but they said something about
Spoiler:
the witches having a doorway to evil places, which apparently includes Katie and Micah's house. So the implication seems to be that the witches have access to the houses from the previous films at the times of the demonic activity. They seemed to be hinting that the demonic activity from the previous films maybe wasn't just caused by the demon, but by the witches as well. It also reveals that the activity doesn't revolve around Katie and her family, as the previous films lead you to believe. Jesse was marked for possession, just like Katie, which is why the demon wouldn't allow him to be hurt. They're just two of many instances.
At least that's what I took away from it. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that.

I agree with you that they shouldn't have shown that, at least in so much detail. I don't really like the direction the series has gone either. I liked it more when it was a simple little ghost story, but now it's something else entirely.

Anyone who hasn't seen it yet, you'll definitely want to brush up on the previous entries first. It gets a little confusing.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote