Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

View Poll Results: Tales of Terror (1962) or Two Evil Eyes (1990)?
Tales of Terror (1962) 10 76.92%
Two Evil Eyes (1990) 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Tales of Terror (1962) or Two Evil Eyes (1990)?

I watched Tales of Terror for the first time today and realized that most of the film seemed very familiar. Then it hit me that I'd seen two of the stories before in Two Evil Eyes. Both films are anthologies based on Edgar Allan Poe short stories, but it was surprising that Two Evil Eyes is almost a remake of Tales of Terror, all that is missing is the story "Morella". So out of these two very similar anthology films, which is your favorite?

Last edited by fattyjoe37; 07-26-2012 at 06:03 AM.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Paff

Good question. Instinct is to go with Tales of Terror, as Romero's half of Two Evil Eyes is painfully dull. One of his worst efforts.
But really, the same story (M. Valdemar) is pretty damn dull in Tales of Terror too. I guess you can't make a good film out of that.

What it comes down to is Argento's Black Cat, vs the Lorre/Price Black Cat. And while I do like Argento's, Peter Lorre and Vincent Price's performances are simply outstanding. Winner: Tales of Terror

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

While not a classic, I do enjoy Two Evil Eyes. That said, I will always prefer Tales of Terror. The Roger Corman directed AIP films with Vincent Price are some of my personal favorites and having Peter Lorre too is a perfect pairing. I really hope the Vincent Price/Corman series of Poe films find their way to Blu-ray.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I do like Two Evil Eyes, but Tales of Terror is a better film overall. It has that more classic feel to it, not to mention classic actors. I think the writing is overall superior as well.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I think the writing is overall superior as well.
Richard Matheson deserves credit here again.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Erick H.
HackMaster

I like both films but TALES is the more consistant piece of work.It's a complete package whereas TWO EVIL EYES plays like two offbeat shorts by great genre directors,By the way,it is often reported that EYES never played theatrically in America, upon it's initial run.In fact it did,though in a very scant release.I actually saw the film in the theater in Virginia when it first came out.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
spawningblue
Deadite

This is tough.

I prefer Romero's version of The Case Of M. Valdemar on Two Evil Eyes although The Tales of Terror version is very close.

I prefer the The Black cat version on Tales of Terror though. Argento's is interesting but it doesn't compare in my opinion.

Tales of Terror obviously gets the win on Morella since it isn't adapted on Two Evil Eyes. That being said, I wasn't a fan of this story so its absence on Two Evil Eyes doesn't bother me too much.

For today I'll give the edge to Tales of Terror but it could go either way depending on what mood I'm in.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #8
russweiss
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick H. View Post
I like both films but TALES is the more consistant piece of work.It's a complete package whereas TWO EVIL EYES plays like two offbeat shorts by great genre directors,By the way,it is often reported that EYES never played theatrically in America, upon it's initial run.In fact it did,though in a very scant release.I actually saw the film in the theater in Virginia when it first came out.
It must have had a very limited run as it only made $349,000 according to IMDB. I haven't seen either film for some time but I would have to agree with the consensus that Tales of Terror is the superior film. I grew up watching the Corman/Price films and I have fond memories of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Evil Eyes Video.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	6123  
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
dave13
HackMaster

I just watched both of these within the last few days, and I thought Tales of Terror was hands down the better film. No contest. Everything about it is strong - Morella is simple, but has great gothic atmosphere, and a sense of impending doom throughout. The Case of M. Valdemar is fairly sordid, and Price and Rathbone do a great job. The scene where he begins to melt is fantastic. And The Black Cat is a mini-masterpiece. Lorre and Price are wonderful, sloshing and sliming around respectively. The ridiculous dream sequence where Price and Joyce Jameson gleefully toss Lorre's disembodied head back and forth is amazing! Even the animated transitions with Price's narration are nicely done and tie the whole thing together.

Two Evil Eyes, on the other hand, is a groaningly inconsistent film. Well, more so Argento's Black Cat. Romero's Valdemar segment doesn't have as many interesting flourishes as Argento's, but I found it much more consistent. Argento's piece is wilder, but it falls so flat in the village dream sequence, the infidelity subplot, the coffee table book subplot, the going-on-vacation bit, and the bar scenes, among others, that his piece actually bored me way more than Romero's. The Valdemar episode builds nicely, if a little slowly, until the end, which is very good. The Black Cat episode is a mess with a few great scenes. Neither compares to Tales of Terror.

Last edited by dave13; 10-22-2013 at 06:06 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote