Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
scott71670
Maniac

Interesting comment there. For years now I prefer to watch DTV horror rather than DVDs of horror films that I know were released to the multiplex. I really feel like studios don't want to gamble on something that's "too smart" for what they think an average horror consumer is, and the result of that is films with less intelligence and originality getting screen release, while more intelligent/edgy stuff gets picked up by labels like Magnet. DTV is really becoming the "arthouse" of horror.
scott71670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
It's actually not as crazy a concept as it sounds. A lot has changed in the DTV, as well as the TV world just within the last 2-3 years. Where it was once movies that commanded attention (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, etc), it's more TV shows now (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad). You're starting to see it as actors who were more known for movies are showing up on television now. I think it's the rise of HDTV, which has allowed for a more cinematic look for home video than even just a few years ago.

And Netflix has taken it to the next level, with shows like Arrested Development and Orange is the New Black getting LOTS of critical and consumer attention. In a world like this, someone is going to be looking for the Next Big Thing, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were movies that were aimed for DTV.
Yeah that's pretty much what I was trying to get at with this thread, this could be the new craze. Also with studios not looking to release the icons into any cinematic films lately ten I think the straight to DVD market could be the way to go. I also feel certain projects I.e. Halloween, Friday the 13th would benefit from lower budgets bad a film maker trying to make his way in the biz. Going back to this possibly been the best big craze, people don't like to go to the cinema anymore it's very expensive, you can pretty much buy the film for what you spend there. With things like Netflix, Love Film etc providing download and rental services it's easier access for people too. I think the DTV market has a bug future.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
Rft183
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
I also feel certain projects I.e. Halloween, Friday the 13th would benefit from lower budgets
I think you're right about this. It seems like with some of the recent big-screen excursions, the budget has been so large that they have been doing stupid things (Uber Jason for instance) just to spend the money. With a stripped down budget, I think we would get less of the goofy special-effects and more atmosphere, which is what I would prefer.
Rft183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rft183 View Post
I think you're right about this. It seems like with some of the recent big-screen excursions, the budget has been so large that they have been doing stupid things (Uber Jason for instance) just to spend the money. With a stripped down budget, I think we would get less of the goofy special-effects and more atmosphere, which is what I would prefer.
Yeah that's exactly what I want

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote