Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
Shout Factory have stated on Facebook that if this disc sells well enough they'll give more '70s and '80s TV horrors a shot.

I already have my preorder in. :-)
Got my pre-order in also.

I'm hoping they release Midnight Offerings (1981)

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
Christy
Stalker

Watched this on netflix and really enjoyed it. I might buy the DVD release if the price is right.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:40 AM   #18
dave13
HackMaster

I watched both TV Terrors this past weekend, and enjoyed them both quite a bit.

Initiation of Sarah was the better film, but Are you in the House Alone(?!) had a surprisingly relevant message about the treatment of rape victims. Both ended up being better than I expected them to be (not that my expectations were low, or anything). Does anybody know if this set did well enough for Scream to consider releasing more? If so, I wonder which one's they'd choose?
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
rhett

Glad you liked them, dave. I enjoyed them both too, although I think SARAH is a far better film. I found ALONE to be a little anti-climactic and kind of drawn out, but I do agree that the message was a good one and pretty progressive for the time.

I hope they do more, and I'd love to see DON'T GO TO SLEEP and THE SPELL next.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #20
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

^ I was disappointed that Are You In The House Alone? wasn't really a horror movie, but as a made-for-tv junkie, I still enjoyed it regardless. Love Initiation Of Sarah, even visited the house from the film when I was in Los Angeles. Also thought the recent remake was surprisingly fun in a contemporary teen-movie way.

As for more, I guess it depends on the era.

If we're talking early '70s ABC Movie Of The Week, Home For The Holidays and Crowhaven Farm would make a great double feature. Warner Archive already tacked Bad Ronald, Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, etc.

For the '80s, The Midnight Hour Collector's Edition blu-ray would be a holy grail. As for double features, I'd love Deadly Lessons / Midnight Offerings, This House Possessed / Don't Go To Sleep. I Saw What You Did and Sorry, Wrong Number would be a great double feature, both remakes of similar films.

As for the '90s, I'd really love for someone to start tackling all the amazing USA Network Premiere movies. I loved those, still have a ton of them on VHS. Buried Alive and Buried Alive II would be an amazing double feature, as would Deadly Game and Snow Kill. Haunting Of Sarah Hardy / Haunting Of Seacliff Inn / The Crying Child would be a fun combo, Trapped / Nightmare On The 13th Floor, Wheels Of Terror / Strays, The Lookalike / Duplicates, The Companion / High Desert Kill, I'm Dangerous Tonight / Trilogy Of Terror II, etc. Even though they were already released on DVD, I'd love for the Cabin By The Lake double feature to be re-released.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #21
chancetx
Stalker

I've always wanted a "Revenge of the Stepford Wives/The Stepford Children" double feature. The super dull "The Stepford Husbands" can remain lost in obscurity.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #22
spawningblue
Deadite

Unfortunately Scream announced this set sold poorly, so there son't be any more TV movies announced any time soon. Before this collection was released, Cliff stated that TV horror films always tend to sell poorly, but they gave this release a chance due to the demand. After the abysmal sales of this release I think that is it for TV horror flicks, at least as far as Scream is concerned.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:36 AM   #23
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Awww shit -
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:16 AM   #24
rhett

I think if they would have treated Sarah more like the premium offering it is and released it stand alone with a few extras then it likely would have drawn a bigger audience. As it is they kind of sloughed these two films off with little fanfare on a cheap double feature with no extras. Look at Dark Night of the Scarecrow, that has done well enough to warrant multiple releases across formats.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #25
Body Boy
HackMaster

I loved Are You In The House Alone?, but Sarah was pretty bad. Loved the after school special feel to it though.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:34 AM   #26
dave13
HackMaster

was it wise to market them explicitly as tv movies? maybe next time they could throw together a 4-pack, and then downplay the fact that they were tv films. although it sounds like that won't happen now...bummer.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #27
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

No, downplaying! It's trickery - I used to HATE that tactic back in the VHS days when they'd make some old movie look current (or try to...which they try to still do with well known retro flicks).
They just needed to market it better AND give us some better cover art - that cover did neither film any favors.
If it's a TV movie, be honest because those that will buy TV movies will buy...well, TV movies.
Positive word of mouth helps, too. But downplaying the retro charm of TV movies...no - keep that for the top 40 stuff. Leave the classics alone.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #28
Christy
Stalker

The DVD cover is ugly, stupid and very tacky looking. If the DVD sold so poorly why is the DVD still almost $15 bucks?

Strange and Deadly Occurrence is the TV horror flick I want the most. Hopefully it eventually gets a release it's a very cool gem. The People Across The Lake is another one I also want.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #29
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
No, downplaying! It's trickery - I used to HATE that tactic back in the VHS days when they'd make some old movie look current (or try to...which they try to still do with well known retro flicks).
They just needed to market it better AND give us some better cover art - that cover did neither film any favors.
If it's a TV movie, be honest because those that will buy TV movies will buy...well, TV movies.
Positive word of mouth helps, too. But downplaying the retro charm of TV movies...no - keep that for the top 40 stuff. Leave the classics alone.
I didn't mean that they should try to make them look like new movies - i hate that as well. I just meant treat it more like Dark Night of the Scarecrow. It's packaging didn't hide the fact that it was a tv movie, but it didn't emblazon it across the cover either.

Personally, I liked the "TV Terrors" packaging. Maybe they could have come up with something better, but it worked for me. But I imagine placing the tv roots of the films front and center in the advertising ended up hurting the set more than helping.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #30
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

You are completely correct, though. I know what you mean - it's business. I, too, think the TV Terrors thing really didn't appeal to a broader audience. I didn't like the packaging either which is sad because those films are so charming. I showed "Initiation of Sarah" to friends on VHS years ago and everyone liked it. In fact, while I found Shelley Winters so deliciously over the top and borderline campy (was she sauced when she did her scenes?) everyone else found the film dead-serious.
That's the thing with being so hardcore into fringe - you forget that mainstream doesn't see things the same way.
Sad about the end of TV Terrors from such a quality company. There are some true gems especially from the early 1970's I wish were on better formats than old VHS and Youtube.