Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #61
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Finally got around to watching this, thanks to Netflix.

I think West may be my favorite young director working these days. Granted, that's based on only this and HotD. But, both showed a lot of care and intelligence and a good understanding of how horror works.

Most everything that I would say has been said by others, but I'll still echo the well written characters, fantastic skill at building tension and atmosphere, and great use of sound and music.

My only complaint is that it seems like West is either held back or holding back. Both this and HotD seemed to lack a bit once the climax comes around. The resolutions aren't bad, it's just that they both seem to suffer from the energy put into all the previous tension. Particularly considering how effective the few scares that come up are. I don't know if it's a budgetary thing or if West only can focus on one thing at a time.

In many ways I am reminded of Val Lewton's comment (which I may be messing up) that all a good horror film needs is good characters and one truly scary scene to be successful. In that respect, West's films end up being more like "The Leopard Man" and less like "Seventh Victim" or "Cat People"

So, I end up really liking Innkeepers a lot. But West has yet to cross the threshold into making a film that ranks up there with Session 9, Ringu, or Shining. But, I will definitely look forward to whatever he does next.

Oh, and I think he used the Dutch tilt way too much. I found that really distracting.

Last edited by Anaestheus; 12-24-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Anaestheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #62
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
Oh, and I think he used the Dutch tilt way too much. I found that really distracting.
Being a big fan of "The Third Man," I can overlook it's use here. I'm glad you appreciated this film as much as I did. Many people were turned off by the slow pacing, but I think it helped me appreciate and care for the characters. It also led to genuine scares.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #63
Mattapooh
Maniac

I loved House of the Devil and The Innkeepers scared the HELL out of me. I honestly can't remember the last time a movie had me as scared as this one did.

Ti West is my favorite horror director right now, I can't think of anyone that knows how to work atmosphere and suspense like he's done on those two flicks.
Mattapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #64
dave13
HackMaster

I just watched this, and really loved it. Absolutely loved it. However, I agree with those who thought it wasn't very scary. It wasn't. Or at least, the ghost-bride wasn't. until maybe the very end. The old man was pretty scary, though. some great shots of him. but honestly, that didn't detract from my enjoyment one bit. it's just a really great ghost story with fantastic characters.

and i agree with whoever mentioned the dumpster scene, that was fantastic.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #65
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I just watched this, and really loved it. Absolutely loved it. However, I agree with those who thought it wasn't very scary. It wasn't. Or at least, the ghost-bride wasn't. until maybe the very end. The old man was pretty scary, though. some great shots of him. but honestly, that didn't detract from my enjoyment one bit. it's just a really great ghost story with fantastic characters.

and i agree with whoever mentioned the dumpster scene, that was fantastic.
I'm glad that this film is starting to get a following. It's very underrated. The suspense is fantastic and I love that the inn is less than two hours from where I live. My wife refuses to go there though.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #66
Christy
Victim

Watched this a while back and found it very charming. I like House Of The Devil a bit more to be honest.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #67
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

I just watched this recently. My review -

Innkeepers -

This is a good one. I wanted to see it for a while. It's old school horror and I like how they broke the movie into acts. I think a person's enjoyment of this one depends on how much they like the main character. If they don't then I can see a person disliking this movie. I think it was a stong performance by the actress. The other characters are played well too. I was surprised by how old the actress from Top Gun looks. I almost didn't recognize her. I think the director is saying something about modern versus classic horror movies in Innkeepers. There is a modern reference and without spoiling anything something in the final shot. All horror fans need to see this one.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #68
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I just watched this recently. My review -

Innkeepers -

This is a good one. I wanted to see it for a while. It's old school horror and I like how they broke the movie into acts. I think a person's enjoyment of this one depends on how much they like the main character. If they don't then I can see a person disliking this movie. I think it was a stong performance by the actress. The other characters are played well too. I was surprised by how old the actress from Top Gun looks. I almost didn't recognize her. I think the director is saying something about modern versus classic horror movies in Innkeepers. There is a modern reference and without spoiling anything something in the final shot. All horror fans need to see this one.
The main actress is absolutely gorgeous. They did their best to make her look "ordinary."
Old 10-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #69
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
The main actress is absolutely gorgeous. They did their best to make her look "ordinary."
Yeah she's cute in this. Either you find yourself attached to her quirks or not. That's really the heart of the movie.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:10 AM   #70
Christy
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I don't think it's her face anyone looks at just saying. She could wear a paper bag and you would never notice.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #71
othervoice1
HackMaster

Just watched this movie tonight - I really like this one - I also love The House of the Devil he directed as well - both movies gave me the creeps without needing a bunch of gore and boobs - not to say there is anything wrong with gore and boobs though lol
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote