Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Euro Horror

Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #121
f.ramses
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
You might not KNOW about other releases, but they usually are around the corner. You just can't know everything.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it...) this has not been the case with any of the releases I've bought from them over the past 2 years or so, at least not as far as I know.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #122
Crystal Plumage
Dig me..but don't bury me

True, but for every crappy VHS sourced copy there's an original. At least in most cases.
Fact remains ofcourse that most Italian companies want too large amounts of money for them.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #123
hellraiser40
Maniac

let's be honest : most releases of them wouldn't even cut it about 4 years ago quality-wise, even soundly beaten by themselves when they ran NoShame US

i have a couple (Four Flies On Grey Velvet, Horrible, Door Into Darkness, Blood Castle) and these are adequate, but looking at most screen caps from some of their other releases, putting VHS-like dupes on a DVD isn't going to win them any fans, even if they release movies that no-one else would touch
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #124
f.ramses
Maniac

As cool as they'd be to have I don't think that the original VHS tapes are really a good option or a feasible one in most cases. Some of them are expensive as hell, the few original VHS copies of Giallo A Venezia (I use this as an example because it's the title I want most from that list they put online a while back.) I've seen on ebay have gone for $200+, the tapes were PAL (not a problem for me but probably will be for most in North America, even more so than with DVD), and they were probably not English friendly either. Even if price, system, and language weren't an issue their DVD would still win out because there is not really any chance of further quality degradation like with VHS so long as the DVD was properly manufactured.
I know I'm probably not convincing anyone that they're good here and I'll admit I don't think that they're really an ideal label but they make all these movies a lot more accessible and attractive compared to the alternatives and I think they deserve way more credit than people give them.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #125
Crystal Plumage

You're absolutely right about those VHS', no doubt about that. And although I really want to see many of the more obscure movies out there, I still stand by my earlier post:
Quote:
I'd rather keep my money for better stuff that's out there.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #126
Crystal Plumage

Just read this about that new label "One 7 Movies" :
Quote:
It has been established that it IS MYA, under a new name.
I'm not surprised.

Looks like they're going the "X-Rated Kult" route (changed their name numorous times and some dodgy releases)
Old 02-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #127
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Just read this about that new label "One 7 Movies" :

I'm not surprised.

Looks like they're going the "X-Rated Kult" route (changed their name numorous times and some dodgy releases)
That's disappointing...I just canceled the preorders I had on a few of their releases.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #128
Horrorphilly
Maniac

How did a legit company like No Shame get reduced to MYA? i love my no shame releasees.Id still rather pay more and have the NS releasees.

sean
Horrorphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #129
hellraiser40
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorphilly View Post
How did a legit company like No Shame get reduced to MYA? i love my no shame releasees.Id still rather pay more and have the NS releasees.

sean
same here, No Shame was amazing
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #130
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Looks like these are out of print (they may have been for a while now, not sure).

Only ones I got were Horrible and Graveyard Disturbance. I thought they were too expensive at the time, but now I'm glad I got them when I did.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #131
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

My last MYA purchase was the 1987 Predator ripoff ALIEN FROM THE DEEP. Typically cheesy, bad Italian cash-in but still a fun watch. The label was by no means a quality company but I always admire the will of people who at least try to put stuff out, especially movies that nobody else will touch. I'm sure the people behind the label were diehard film buffs and if they had more money they would've tried to build the label up but the fact of the matter is not many people buy this stuff. At least not many people blind-buy many of the films if the quality is known to be barely watchable.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #132
Crystal Plumage

Their DVDs were just too damn expensive for what they were: Barebone releases in (mostly) mediocre quality.
I only have Mario Caiano's Without Trace. A nice "school girl in peril" Giallo.
Quality was fine on that one.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #133
Christy
Stalker

Quote:
Their DVDs were just too damn expensive for what they were: Barebone releases in (mostly) mediocre quality.
I only have Mario Caiano's Without Trace. A nice "school girl in peril" Giallo.
Quality was fine on that one.
Yeah that is why I never purchased any myself. I refuse to pay more then $15 for DVDs anymore. DVDs need to go bye bye they are over priced garbage and scratch easily.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #134
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
My last MYA purchase was the 1987 Predator ripoff ALIEN FROM THE DEEP.
Are you sure that one was a MYA release? I thought it was from some studio called One 7 Movies.

It's just weird that there was never much information out there about MYA as a company. I can't remember them ever even having a website..

I only ever owned a few of their releases, the two Argento titles and Horrible. I got rid of the Four Flies DVD as soon as the superior UK Blu-ray showed up.

Last edited by Katatonia; 11-03-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo
Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #135
Marshall Crist
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Are you sure that one was a MYA release? I thought it was from some studio called One 7 Movies.

It's just weird that there was never much information out there about MYA as a company. I can't remember them ever even having a website..

I only ever owned a few of their releases, the two Argento titles and Horrible. I got rid of the Four Flies DVD as soon as the superior UK Blu-ray showed up.
Pretty sure MYA and One 7 Movies are the same people.
Marshall Crist is offline   Reply With Quote