Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #121
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
This is one weird argument. However, that ain't gonna stop me from getting involved.

Really just wanted to point out that Robocop definitely fits Joseph Campbell's definition of a "hero". So, I guess the question is whether or not he's super.
Of course Alex Murphy is a hero. He is a hero in the same sense as John McClane or Douglas Quaid. Is he a superhero akin to the likes of Batman and Captain America? Fuck no. Absolutely not.

I am still trying to wrap my head around maybrick's assertion of Robocop "donning a "mask" to protect his "face" and identity" as if Murphy has some sort of choice to go out and fight crime every night.

The only reason the topic turned so weird was because maybrick's generalizations were so preposterous that the only way KBG could demonstrate how ludicrous he was sounding was to bring up the Harlem Globetrotters. Maybrick was contradicting himself four times over at that point and wasn't even agreeing with his own archetype of what a superhero was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
It makes them ignorant.
Quote:
Ignorant people always do.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #122
maybrick
HackMaster

Contradicting myself how exactly?

The dc character Cyborg doesn't have the ability to take off his suit any more than Robocop does. It doesn't make him any less a superhero. Robocop doesn't technically "don" a mask, but his helmet still serves the same purpose. Duh.

The range of superheroes is wide open. Aside from the A listers you have Moon Knight. You have Hawkeye. You have the goddamned Incredible Hulk which I personally wouldn't call a hero but he gets lumped in with the rest all the same. Even the Frankenstein Monster is a DC Superhero! So why not Robocop? What about him makes him so different? He has powers and he fights crime. By the simplest definition of the word that makes him a superhero.

Last edited by maybrick; 11-12-2013 at 03:28 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #123
baggio
HackMaster

Going back through the thread and reading posts about the film not having any satire.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...e-Padilha.html

José Padilha

“The satire element of RoboCop is, I think, needed today,” he tells me. “That kind of social, aggressive satire I haven’t seen done well in movies lately. And it’s almost like the politics and violence in the world is asking for this: 'Someone please make some satire now!' So we’re going to keep that edge.”

So that answers that question. Unless of course he changed his mind since & the final film plays different.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #124
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thanks, baggio. I hope that these kinds of scenes didn't end up on the cutting room floor as I agree that this series really needs its element of satire.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #125
baggio
HackMaster

My 2 cents on the superhero discussion.

Just for fun I searched for Robocop in the Superhero database. Which harbors all superheros, villians, superpowers, etc...

And it came up empty. Judd Dredd, Punisher, Darkman, etc... were all in there. (now to be clear, this isn't the end all to the answer, but its a reliable go to source)

But interestingly I looked up G.I. Joe & Sgt Rock, and they didn't show up either. Imho, I kinda put Robocop in their category. It's strange because on one hand the original Robocop wasn't really a superhero, but in part 2 & 3 he did sorta lean that way. But there is a small part that bugs me, that he isn't a superhero because he is essentially a cop. He's just doing his job.

Last edited by baggio; 11-12-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #126
maybrick
HackMaster

And that is extremely fair, Baggio. Logical, without the need for condescension. Thank you. I will say though that many of the heroes that we're taught to honor in life, soldiers, firemen, doctors, and policemen, are just doing their job. Yes, Robocop is doing his job. But he isn't "just" a cop. He's even referred to in the film as "the Super Cop". Is it really that illogical to connect "Super Cop" with "Super Hero"?

Edit: the super hero database doesn't appear to be infallible. The Tick isn't on there, either.

Last edited by maybrick; 11-12-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #127
Mok
Helena Harper

He doesnt fit the typical superhero mold, but my buddy who was into comics used to draw Robocop all the time. Eventually I started identifying the character as sa comic book hero. So maybe its semantics or a matter of opinion. Speaking to that point, how would you geniuses define Kick Ass? "Vigilante Hero" "Comic Book Hero". Whatever. Its like when people try to distinguish goth music from post-punk, deathrock, etc. You just want bang their heads together. Blow your "yeah, but" out your asses.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #128
AndresG
Stalker

I have a feeling it won't even come close to the original...
AndresG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #129
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
And that is extremely fair, Baggio. Logical, without the need for condescension. Thank you. I will say though that many of the heroes that we're taught to honor in life, soldiers, firemen, doctors, and policemen, are just doing their job. Yes, Robocop is doing his job. But he isn't "just" a cop. He's even referred to in the film as "the Super Cop". Is it really that illogical to connect "Super Cop" with "Super Hero"?

Edit: the super hero database doesn't appear to be infallible. The Tick isn't on there, either.
I just checked, The Tick is in there (well Tick is, but it's gotta be the same person). It just doesn't have any info/bio yet. And while Robocop is not in the database he is indeed part of the Marvel Universe. So it's quite confusing.

Here's a question. Would Steve Austin (Six Million Dollar Man) be considered a superhero? Because if he is then Robocop has to be imo. They both have similar stories (in terms of the rebuilding parts) Obviously Steve wasn't that far gone like Murphy. But he too was rebuilt & worked to fight crime.

Last edited by baggio; 11-12-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #130
maybrick
HackMaster

I would say that ALL of these characters (Kick Ass, Tick, Steve Austin, judge dredd, even V, or the Harlem Globetrotters when they play superheroes. Sorry, no Rick Grimes) are superheroes in their respective universes. Different universes have different rules.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #131
Anaestheus
HackMaster

oh man, i can't believe i'm getting sucked into this.

but, on a whim I looked up "superhero" on wikipedia and Robocop does fit most of the list of defining characteristics there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhero
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #132
maybrick
HackMaster

It's awful, isn't it? It's just as bad as trying to define what makes a horror movie a horror movie.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #133
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

In all this discussion around what makes a superhero, it's been missed that a mask does not, nor does hiding an identity.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #134
maybrick
HackMaster

I'm not sure if it has been missed so much as not needed to be said. Of course you are right. Not all of them are as concerned about hiding their identities as others.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #135
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
I'm not sure if it has been missed so much as not needed to be said. Of course you are right. Not all of them are as concerned about hiding their identities as others.
Quote:
Aside from protecting his face, the mask serves the exact same purpose it does for all superheroes: It protects his identity. Nobody was ever supposed to learn that he was Murphy.
Keep trying to spin, maybrick. It's entertaining to read.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote