Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
Ash28M
HackMaster

The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh (2012)

Just got done watching Rue Morgue's first full length feature by its founder Rodrigo Gudino and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. I kind of suspected this would be up my alley after seeing his short film The Eyes of Edward James as a precursor to The End of the Line at TIFF in 2006. It put me right in the mood. This time was more of the same. Great atmosphere and some creepy scenes. It was refreshing to not have all the quick cuts and over done color palette that we have come to expect from films of the new millennium. Just a throw back slow burn supernatural tale and at only 80 minutes it doesn't overstay its welcome. I also like how he took a restrained approach as many directors like to throw everything at the screen the first time around possibly for the fear that they won't get another shot at it. If I had one gripe it would be the showing of the CGI creature a bit too much. If you don't a have the budget then you need to pull back from that and hearing that Rodrigo originally planned to higher a contortionist for the creature. I think he made the wrong choice. Overall though very impressive and I'm looking forward to what he does next.

Last edited by Ash28M; 08-05-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Erick H.
HackMaster

Looks intriguing,I should check this out.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

It's on streaming NetFlix.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
It's on streaming NetFlix.
Yeah and it's in HD and all we get to fall back on is a compressed DVD!
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Dobby
HackMaster

I forgot to add I enjoyed this movie but I think most people may find it to be boring. It's just a movie about faith and religious crap little to no substance. However visually and what not it was quite enjoyable on my end.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Mok
Family is Forever

Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6FWJOjBLEY

Looks really decent. I will be checking this out for sure.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:40 AM   #7
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Finally got around to watching this. I was pretty impressed. Very heavy on the atmosphere and beautifully shot. And the main set is pretty impressive.

The biggest negative is that once the story starts to settle into the "action" it loses steam a bit. I wasn't too impressed with the design of the "creature" effects and think it would have worked better if they kept the effects in the shadows.

On the other side, I was pretty impressed that this is basically a one-man show. Outside of voices over the phone and some flashback-type material, this is basically one actor in a house for the majority of the film. In that respect, it reminded me a lot of Ti West's recent stuff.

What it really has going for it is an interesting story that seems to draw a lot of inspiration from Blackwood. I would highly recommend it to fans of his writings.

Spoiler:
the thing that really caught me the most was the tonal twist at the end. If I understood the inferences correctly, it is a very very sad ending and I really wasn't expecting that at all. But, it actually was quite powerful and affecting and, again, very much in keeping with the tone of some of Blackwood's better stories.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote