Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: vote
Christmas Evil (1980) 15 28.30%
Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984) 38 71.70%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #16
Vlachio

Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984) far superior to that other film!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Silent Night, Deadly Night easily wins for me. A much more focused and entertaining film than Christmas Evil.
fattyjoe37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Christmas Evil all the way!

I've always thought Silent Night Deadly Night was hugely overrated. I do really enjoy part V: The Toy Maker though.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #19
Do you see
Victim

Both are great and I usually alternate them every other year when I watch my Christmas themed horror films. I’ll give the edge to Christmas Evil, but by next year it could be SNDN…depends on how naughty I am.
Do you see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
Christy
Stalker

I voted for Christmas Evil as I found it more campy. Though SNDN is in fact the better film I have a soft spot for Christmas Evil.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #21
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Silent Night, Deadly Night has a much bigger nostalgia factor for me. I enjoyed Christmas Evil, but I just felt it was too disjointed. SNDN is in my holiday yearly rotation whereas Christmas Evil I could forget and not be upset about it.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #22
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Christmas Evil is special. It's a low budget B-Flick with high ambitions. Above average performances, slasher-y kills and holiday fantasies mixed together. I can see why John Waters loves this movie.

SNDN is your typical zero budget slasher with extreme cheesy moments but works perfectly as a whole. Both movies are highly entertaining though.

Movie Tracker 2014

Last edited by Hellbilly; 11-16-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #23
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
I enjoyed Christmas Evil, but I just felt it was too disjointed.
I feel completely the opposite. Silent Night, Deadly Night was just a string of random kill scenes with no cohesion to hold it all together. Meet character, kill character, repeat.

On the other hand, Christmas Evil is a well-executed decent into camp and madness, brilliantly capped off with one of the most endearing final shots in slasher movie history. It's a much smarter film than people give it credit for.

Plus, it has Moss Garcia, with his impure thoughts and negative body hygiene. "I wish I had a lifetime subscription to Penthouse magazine!"

CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #24
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Spoilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
Silent Night, Deadly Night easily wins for me. A much more focused and entertaining film than Christmas Evil.
That literally makes no sense whatsoever. I would agree Christmas Evil takes awhile to work up to something satisfying but it actually has a vision behind it, is an interesting portrayal of a person's descent into madness, and has actual layers to it. Silent Night is a cheap slasher with a few (admittedly) good scenes in it. As a film, it is an utter mess. Christmas Evil is a good movie with flaws (and is a much better candidate for a remake than Silent Night). If you call it more entertaining... well, of course that's your preference. But I wouldn't even call what I think worked about it entertaining. Effective, yes. Creepy? Maybe. Worth sitting through the movie to see? Definitely. But, any failure on Christmas Evil's part in the focus department might be chalked up to viewer expectations. (I know for myself, I like trippier descents-into-madness- especially since they have that moment that was almost great where Brandon Maggart's tape deck starts distorting the Christmas music during that emotionally chaotic driving sequence. That's the kind of thing I was hoping we'd get more of rather than one of the kids picking up his knife.)

Oh, but Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2? Beats them both. As a campy film, that one is far more successful than Christmas Evil's pretty slow evolvement from fanatic guy to "crazed" killer (also- I didn't feel sorry for him at all, nor did I feel that approach made it a "darker delight" kinda movie- though, visually, there are some Out of Nowhere beautiful shots). It's not only surprisingly clever and downright hilarious at times, it also seems to have some almost Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer insightfulness- making (admittedly, partially goofy-looking) Eric Freeman's Ricky an unstoppable cross between Patrick Bateman's ultra beefy-Terminator and Henry's crude but simple charmer. Meanwhile, again as a cross between both (and, clearly ahead of its time since neither were Out There for the makers to have been influenced by), it's a whole "is it happening or not?" thing right out there in 80's, middle-American suburbia. (Or is it California?) In broad daylight. Visually, it's extremely ambitious. I remember a lot of those shots and they were very smart. It also has vastly superior set-ups for the new slashing scenes- there's nothing in the first movie that rivals the beer Jeep picnic scene. And the ending with the Mother Superior... I almost fell out of my chair watching that.

Frankly, if that movie isn't "good" by any important standard (that is still applicable given the film's budget, or its look- which I think is comparable to something like Henry), I can't see how.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 12-09-2013 at 07:47 AM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #25
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I feel completely the opposite. Silent Night, Deadly Night was just a string of random kill scenes with no cohesion to hold it all together. Meet character, kill character, repeat.

On the other hand, Christmas Evil is a well-executed decent into camp and madness, brilliantly capped off with one of the most endearing final shots in slasher movie history. It's a much smarter film than people give it credit for.

Plus, it has Moss Garcia, with his impure thoughts and negative body hygiene. "I wish I had a lifetime subscription to Penthouse magazine!"
I dunno if I would use the word "brilliant" for either one of these flicks

SDND is simple and their is a focus. Billy goes crazy once in the Santa Suit and feels he has an obligation to fill - punish those that have been naughty. It's kinda like killing off camp counselors for sex, drugs and rock n' roll. He wasn't looking for specific individuals, just those that crossed his path he judged.

I'll admit I need to give Christmas Evil another chance, but initially SNDN just has my kind if flow for hack 'em slash 'ems. Maybe it's the ADD talking
Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #26
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
SDND is simple and their is a focus. Billy goes crazy once in the Santa Suit and feels he has an obligation to fill - punish those that have been naughty.
That would be the most basic focus a film could have. So basic, there's no point in calling it focus- it's just the corresponding number the random spin of the spinner landed on. I see absolutely no merit in praising the film for being an effective clone. Especially when Sleepaway Camp actually took the baton and ran so much further. SNDN is a cheap tease. Throwing iconography on the screen like that's all that's required. I'm going to go with "no" on that one. Again, Sleepaway Camp was such a full plate. That film earned its praise. This one gets it by proxy. In fact, I think the actress playing Mother Superior was trying to give a dramatically credible performance in a movie playing it anything but straight. She was effective in her isolated scenes but, as a theme, no- she does nothing for the Campy Motivation for silly scenes of the killer going "PUNISH!" while dispatching jerk teens. (Though, credit where it's due- this movie is easily superior to The Burning.)

Quote:
It's kinda like killing off camp counselors for sex, drugs and rock n' roll.
Touche?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #27
Cooperkill
Stalker

SNDN is #87 on my top horror films. Christmas Evil isn't bad, but it's not going to make any favorable lists anytime soon.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #28
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

It's not on my favorites list either, but that doesn't mean it didn't try harder to be a better film and deserve more thoughtful consideration. It's certainly a damn lot smarter.

I mean, it could have done with some trippier elements but maybe it would have gone there if it had had a bigger budget.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #29
spawningblue
Deadite

I need to re-watch SNDN, but I think Christmas Evil is the better film. It's more of a psychological look into a man's descent into madness than a horror film though, while SNDN is just a fun 80s slasher. I guess it really just depends what you are in the mood for. I watch SNDN for good kills and cheesy dialog, Christmas Evil I love the interesting ideas it presents and it leaves you more to discuss afterwards.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #30
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I just re-watched Christmas Evil, and while it's a great flick I still like SNDN better. For starters, the first kill doesn't happen until 50 minutes into the flick, there's only one after that church scene (which was great, btw) and our Santa's psychodrama starts because when he was a kid Santa rubbed his mom's leg and then something about his toy factory being too corporate? I like Billy's mental anguish story better. Harry does make a great looking Santa, I'll give him that. Both worthy of Christmas cheer, but decapitated sledding and a naked Quigley on antlers is more my style