Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
X-human
I ate my keys

I finally got to put King Kong in last night on my Blu-ray. Pretty awesome to see it so clean and framing so open. It's still pretty grainy so I doubt they scrubbed it much. Plus the Peter Jackson recreated Lost Spider Pit Sequence is really fun to watch. I didn't like the recreation so much a few years ago but last night I've come around and really enjoyed it.

I also happened to watch the The Real Ghostbusters episode "The Revenge of Murray the Mantis" which takes place during The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York. In it a Giant Float of a Mantis becomes possessed by a ghost and so our boys release The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man to combat it. They have a Godzilla styled brawl in the park, downtown and everything. Rather fitting and I don't think that's a coincidence.

You can watch the whole thing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIR4M1U9D7Q

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
I finally got to put King Kong in last night on my Blu-ray. Pretty awesome to see it so clean and framing so open. It's still pretty grainy so I doubt they scrubbed it much. Plus the Peter Jackson recreated Lost Spider Pit Sequence is really fun to watch. I didn't like the recreation so much a few years ago but last night I've come around and really enjoyed it.

I also happened to watch the The Real Ghostbusters episode "The Revenge of Murray the Mantis" which takes place during The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York. In it a Giant Float of a Mantis becomes possessed by a ghost and so our boys release The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man to combat it. They have a Godzilla styled brawl in the park, downtown and everything. Rather fitting and I don't think that's a coincidence.

You can watch the whole thing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIR4M1U9D7Q
I remember that episode of Ghostbusters. I used to have a VHS tape that had that episode as well as one about a ghost and his sled "Rosebud". Great episodes!

Not sure if it was you (UPDATE: Checked and yes it was you), but someone on here was watching bunch of episodes of this show during their October Movie Marathon and it got me craving to relive this show. Luckily Timelife was having a sale so I was able to pick up the complete show for just over a $100 shipped to Canada. Unfortunately they don't come in the cool steelbooks any more (Although I heard they made the discs hard to get out so it's not a complete loss). I've only watched a few episodes so far but I'm really digging it. Definitely one of the better cartoons from my childhood and holds up a lot better then others such as Transformers, He-Man, ect.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 11-28-2012 at 11:23 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
X-human
I ate my keys

Yeah I decided what the hell and have continued watching episodes of Ghostbusters during lunch and dinner all through November. I've just started Vol. 3 this week. I picked up the original Time Life package all those years ago. At the time they had some crazy sale for pre-ordering it and I think I piled on some other coupons too. Anyways I had everything marked down as costing me just under $150 on that.

I watched Son of Kong last night and Mighty Joe Young tonight. Son of Kong kinda reminds me of the Star Wars prequels. There's a lot of useless scenes to fill the running time and most everything in there is to remind you of the better film that came first but not much else. But the way they handle baby Kong especially reminds me of JarJar Binks. But at least it's only 69 minutes and this is pretty awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-kLqjBtEJk

It's fun to think of Mighty Joe Young as a sequel to Son of Kong with Carl Denham leading a second life on the West Coast running night clubs far away from NY. While the animation, SFX and Joe Young in general are fantastic I never really like the way they portrayed the girl. She just yells at him when he's in trouble or ordering him around. We never see them "hanging out" or anything.

As I was looking up the King Kong monkey clip I came across this again and had entirely forgot about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr6Yhapodvo

Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
Marclar
Victim

Apart from the fun...King Kong = My first impression. there was something about the 1977 movie when he jumped from one of the WTC buildings to the ohter. I saw it in the theater and it defined all sorts of silver screen prowess for me..... What else can I say..
Marclar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #20
X-human
I ate my keys

I decided to finish things up with King Kong vs. Godzilla and King Kong Escapes!

I'm kinda up and down about King Kong vs. Godzilla. Kong has a very mangy costume and the plot is really stretched thin to create a feature length running time. The fights are kinda dopey reminding me of the worst wrestling matches where they do everything but wrestle. Still when it comes down to the Japanese doing what the Japanese do best it comes of fairly well and it's just too bad that the US cut is really all we have of this.

King Kong Escapes is a lot of fun, mixing in a lot of the original's set pieces along with the usual kaiju antics. This seems like it had an influence on the 70's remake because there's a lot of similarities. If you didn't know better you'd think the Japanese were aping the American remake but this was the first to have the blonde actively like and try to save Kong. The ending in Tokyo was very similar to the remake. There's also a battle with a giant water snake. This one keeps things tightly packaged and moving so it's always a pleasure to watch.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
shape22
HackMaster

The King Kong Blu-ray book is $10.99 at Amazon right now! Perfect timing for those who don't have it yet.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
X-human
I ate my keys

My Thanksgiving weekend viewing:

11/27 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
11/29 The Giant Claw (1957)
11/29 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Night of the Blood Beast (1958) [w/ Turkey Day Marathon '95 skits]
11/30 Saurians (1994)
11/30 King Kong (1933)

I watched MST3k of Time of the Apes a few nights before too, I guess that counts. This is becoming a weird tradition of sorts watching giant apes and dinosaurs doing battle but I'm loving it.

Damn, I kept thinking to post a new thread but I could have just posted in here that Joel was hosting a fresh new Turkey Day Marathon for Shout Factory Thanksgiving Day! I couldn't watch with my family so I'm hoping somewhere we'll be able to see it again.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I watched Godzilla Final Wars!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
indrid13
Stalker

This year I broke from watching Godzilla films and watched all 5 of the classic Planet of The Apes films.

My Blog
My DVDs
indrid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
shape22
HackMaster

The Kong Blu-ray book has plunged to $9.96 at Amazon. If you've been waiting I'd say the time is now.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote