Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Which is the better film?
Evil Dead(2013) 14 37.84%
Cabin in the Woods 23 62.16%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #46
thrashard76
Thrash or be Thrashed

Cabin.. was a fun romp but I just dug the ED remake a wee-bit more. The nostalgic value it conjured up kept me excited. I really want that Unrated version asap.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #47
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
I haven't seen The Evil Dead remake yet, but the trailers for Evil Dead entertained me a hell of a lot more than all of Cabin in the Woods did. I really don't understand all of the love that Cabin in the Woods got. Every ten years or so, a filmmaker comes along and seems to think that they have to do something clever and different with the horror genre. No, you don't. The genre is just fine without some pompous filmmakers thinking they're clever enough to "re-invent" it. More filmmakers need to find better and more clever ways to unsettle the viewer rather than point and laugh and old cliche's that have been pointed and laughed at to death at which point you actually become that which you are attempting to parody.
This is a very interesting point, one I don't necessarily agree with, but I think I get where you're coming from. I honestly don't think the filmmakers are shitting on the old cliches, I think the "real movie reviewers" just get refreshed that it is a little different and respond generally more positive and certain fans are just so into that stuff, they get all the references and they nerd out on it because that's what they get off on. Case in point, Scream 4 seems to have been written by an internet slasher forum fanboy, and all the dialogue relating to that turned me off, although the movie was still enjoyable because everyone knows the so called slasher rules were broken beyond recognition before the genre even started. And as such, I agree, eventually, these films just become what they're parodying by doing this. No one is Einstein by pointing out to us the flaws in logic in horror movies throughout the ages, realistically, suspension of disbelief is required in even the best in the genre. And the parodying has been done forever even before Scream, let alone Cabin in the Woods, so they're just doing the old gags better. Fine by me, but it is what it is. I think it's the culture of the fanbase, but I don't at all think I'm cooler than the regular audience because someone on the screen referenced Peeping Tom by name.

Cabin in the Woods is the exception where it just does everything so well, it can do what it wants and it is absolutely amazing, but to me the meat and potatoes of the genre is still the regular old horror movie because an entire subgenre that play off the cliches would be so tiresome. That's where the Evil Dead remake came in and blew me away. It was a regular horror movie that looked amazing, had tons of action and suspense and the bloodshed was unparalleled. It reminded me of being 11 again, on the edge of my bed watching the original Evil Dead for the first time. Even by 11, horror movies didn't actually scare me, but wow, Evil Dead came the closest. I never looked at the original Evil Dead as humorous back then, so I felt like I was 11 re-living Evil Dead all over again with the remake being just unrelenting. I always loved Evil Dead II and AOD, but I liked the original best because it was more of a horror film, which is what I paid to see. As the years passed, I obviously understood the humor and Raimi's overall tone that ED has, but now I have an ED flick in my collection that replicates that feeling I got when I first saw the original, and that's badass to me.

You can't please everybody and most of these people don't want to be pleased anyways, but I'm happy that I enjoyed the remake because I really hoped I would. Most negative opinions on it revolve around the movie not being a total copy of the original, but those same people would have liked Raimi's style better anyways if the new one did veer onto that path, so they likely weren't destined to enjoy it in the first place. To me, it almost seemed like a natural progression in the series. ED 1 was very much a horror film, but had its quirks, Evil Dead 2 was very a much a horror comedy, Army of Darkness was barely a horror movie at all, in the remake we got a rather serious horror film... as serious as demons in the woods can be.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #48
unclefred
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods a lot, but thought the Evil Dead remake was lousy.
My thoughts too. Some people don't understand irony or satire.
unclefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #49
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
DVDF9, you actually prove my point a little about BWP though, when you refer to "non-characters", "non-dialogue", and a "non-film". I agree with you on all three counts, and that's why I find it so damn disturbing. It's all a little too real for me sometimes, (well, at least it was the first couple of times I've seen it....it does lose a bit of it's impact on repeated viewings), and I feel sometimes I'm watching three annoying people get killed. It feels very different from a "film" as we've come to expect it.
I have those moments where I feel humanity totally fails as a species and clichéd, "don't want to live on this planet anymore"s. But to call those 3 sacks in BWP realistic depictions of people is too cynical. Even for me. I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't think real people were capable of more than Heather, Josh, and... Matt? The other guy. Stan?
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #50
Paff

Dang. The poll is closed. I saw that this thread got resurrected, and since I finally saw the Evil Dead remake, I was eligible to make a selection.

Needless to say, my vote would have been for Cabin in the Woods. I didn't hate the Evil Dead remake (or reboot, whatever you want to call it), it was just thoroughly unremarkable. Nothing to update the original (as it really did not need updating), just a generic 21st century horror film with a few nods to a much more groundbreaking film thrown in for the older fans. Utterly pointless. It's been little more than a week, and I've forgotten most of it.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #51
p.nibzz
Screamy Bopper

I did not see Cabin in the Woods as anything close to an Evil Dead remake. Also, I thought CitW was pretty boring.
p.nibzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #52
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I've seen bits of "Cabin" on Netflix and it looked very different from what I was expecting. I saw a bit of "Evil Dead REMAKE" on Dish and it was like watching a CW drama (you know same type of "acting", dialogue, ect) what a joke.
I'll take CABIN IN THE WOODS.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #53
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
I've seen bits of "Cabin" on Netflix and it looked very different from what I was expecting. I saw a bit of "Evil Dead REMAKE" on Dish and it was like watching a CW drama (you know same type of "acting", dialogue, ect) what a joke.
I'll take CABIN IN THE WOODS.
Why even vote if you've only seen bits?
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #54
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Why even vote if you've only seen bits?
Because sometimes that's all that it takes. If somebody hands you a dish of food and it tastes terrible on the first bite, what is the likelihood that you are going to finish the whole plate?
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #55
Paff

No, I agree with Ash here. Watching "bits" of a movie is not the same thing. You need to see a movie from the beginning, and preferably all the way through to the end (although I've been known to dump a movie after an hour if I know where it's going)

Knowing Wago's tastes though, I would expect him to enjoy Cabin more than the Evil Dead remake. But do yourself a favor W70, watch Cabin in the Woods beginning to end. You'll dig it. Evil Dead? Yeah, you pretty much got the gist of it with however much you saw.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #56
maybrick
HackMaster

Sure, stumbling into the middle of a movie, you might mistake a good movie for a bad one. But there can be certain esthetic choices made by the director that would be telling evidence of the type of film you most certainly would not like. For instance, if it's shot in first perspective "reality" video.. then I'm not going to like it. If it's shaky cam.. I'm not going to like it. If it's primarily orange and teal… chances are… I'm not going to like it.

I'm old enough to know what I like and what I don't. So why waste my time? Filmmakers are never going to surprise me by making something that I like with methods that I cannot stand.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #57
p.nibzz
Screamy Bopper

I've definitely seen at least one really good movie that started out bad. Evil Dead remake got better, but it really depends on which bits you're talkin about.
p.nibzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #58
Christy
Stalker

I had high expectations for Evil Dead then I saw it and was not good. Cabin In The Woods had potentional but it was executed very poorly. Either way I would have voted for neither they both were bad cheese.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote