Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
ronnie21
HackMaster

Best place to buy region free blu ray player??

Ok, I may get one if last American virgin blu ray features the human league song that's cut out of the US region 1 version. So whats a good honest place to get one? and I don't need anything fancy just the cheapest.
thansks........
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Dobby
HackMaster

Cheapest region free player is $99 etc etc.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...u-ray%20Player
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
buck135
The Duke of New York

I bought my Orei BDP-M2 from bombayelectronics last year for around $150. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are no region free blu-ray players, just those that allow you to change the region code in the settings.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I got my Oppo BDP-103 from bombayelectronics. Super fast shipping. The Oppo is not cheap at all, but I'll be damned if it isn't worth every penny. They have other players that have been modified as well for people on a tighter budget.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Cheapest region free player is $99 etc etc.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...u-ray%20Player
From what I am reading in the description and from customer feedback, that player will play region A blu-rays only. ronnie21 is looking for a region switching/free blu-ray player, not region free DVD.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Sears and Kmart sell a very basic player that apparently has a region free hack.

I don't have one, so I can't comment on the quality.

Only $59.99. That's likely the cheapest you'll find.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Sears and Kmart sell a very basic player that apparently has a region free hack.

I don't have one, so I can't comment on the quality.

Only $59.99. That's likely the cheapest you'll find.
Just grabbed one of these from Sears. First the good news, it works! It was already set to region 0 for dvds but you do have to switch the bd code with the remote. I popped in my Return of the Living Dead after setting it to region 2(b) for BD and it came up without the menu trick that works on region a players. I'm watching the SD features right now just fine, those won't work on the Region a player.

Bad news: no digital audio outs. Your options are hdmi or 2-chennel RCA cables like old ass vcrs. So if you use hdmi for your audio and video, this player will work for you. I have my hdmi connected directly to my TV and use cozx for audio, so it won't work for me. I could buy another hdmi cable and try to hook it up, but my receiver is stuck in the entertainment center and I can't even get to it to plug in more cables. Back is walled in, and it's literally stuck under the weight of the TV so I can't move it to get to the back.

So I'm gonna watch these features and return it. No way will I import BD's to watch with TV sound, I'll just pay a bit more for a real player. Good deal for some, depends on your set-up.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
X-human
I ate my keys

I'm tempted by the Toshiba BDX5300 from Bombay but it's just a hair more than I'd like to spend. But guess that's what makes it a mod.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

After thinking it over for a day, I think I will keep the Seiki for our bedroom. While I don't have an HD TV in there yet, I plan to soon and doubt I will get a surround system for the room, which would make the player workable for that situation and I can then be region free all over the house (once I get a good RF player for the main TV and surround set-up).

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
After thinking it over for a day, I think I will keep the Seiki for our bedroom. While I don't have an HD TV in there yet, I plan to soon and doubt I will get a surround system for the room, which would make the player workable for that situation and I can then be region free all over the house (once I get a good RF player for the main TV and surround set-up).
I recommend getting a soundbar for the bedroom. I have a Sony soundbar and absolutely love it.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

These seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper. I just picked up a Sony BDP-S1100 off of eBay for $159 shipped. It feels sooooo good not to be restricted to a specific region anymore. This thing plays EVERYTHING. Just have to push 1, 2, or 3 on the remote to coincide with what region disc I'm putting in (the player has to be off when you push the number, which is weird how that works) but everything plays flawlessly.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #12
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
These seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper. I just picked up a Sony BDP-S1100 off of eBay for $159 shipped. It feels sooooo good not to be restricted to a specific region anymore. This thing plays EVERYTHING. Just have to push 1, 2, or 3 on the remote to coincide with what region disc I'm putting in (the player has to be off when you push the number, which is weird how that works) but everything plays flawlessly.
It is great. I seem to order more and more titles from other regions.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #13
Paff

Other than the Oppo, does anyone know a region free player that is fairly sturdy and robust? I just got a Toshiba from a fellow HorrorDigital.com member, and it's great and plays everything, but I swear I could blow on it and launch it across the room. The Sony that Mikey just bought looks to be the same.

Right now I'm keeping my Sony S360 as my main player, and the Toshiba only gets used for non-region A/1 stuff (it plays all DVDs, which is great since I have a large collection of Asian DVDs). Eventually, I'd love to have one player to play everything. Also, without having to enter the region unlocking code before popping in a disc.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:55 AM   #14
Christy
Stalker

Bombayelectronics is the best I highly recommend them! Use the 2day shipping method to get it the player ever faster! Their region free Blu-Ray/DVD players start from as low as $100. I got the $100 0rei player and it rocks my world!
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #15
f.ramses
Maniac

This thread on UK Anime might be of some interest to some here. It seems that it is also possible to restrict playback based on the language setting on the player (and, possibly, your IP address if you hooked the player up to the internet...), they call it "geolocking". Fortunately it doesn't sound like much to worry about, I bet it's not even an issue for HTPC users. Who knows though, it could catch on. :/ Something to be aware of...