Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 10-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #46
Paff

I just saw the "Final Cut" on Sunday night (in a theater!). I think it's now my favorite version of the film. It's sort of a combination of the theatrical and so-called director's cut. The final cut opens with Sgt. Howie in church, but wisely omits the scene of him getting the letter. Willow's dance is later in the film, same as the director's cut, although that's never been a major issue with me (as long as we see naked Britt, it's all good!). The only thing I questioned was the scene where Lord Summerisle brings the young man to Willow (which is fine), but then asks her if she's prepared for the sacrifice in two days (gives away way too much).

The quality of the non-theatrical cut scenes is still quite grainy. Will the theatrical cut be on the US Blu-Ray (in HD)? Bruce's post seems to indicate it won't. I think I'd probably stick with the theatrical, at least for introducing people to the film.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #47
shape22
HackMaster

Thanks for the details on this cut Paff. Most of the summaries I saw suggested it started just like the theatrical cut. I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I think Willow's dance works much better later in the film. Howie's tortured reaction seems over-the-top and unmotivated in the theatrical version. After another full day of torment it's more believable.

Speaking of Britt's dance, here's a question I've never seen addressed or answered. I've heard the talk that Rod Stewart supposedly objected to Britt Eklund's nudity--which is why such an obvious body double was used for the full-body rear shots. But why would he (or she) be okay with showing her chest but not her butt? That seems to be the opposite of conventional thinking.

Back on point. I have mixed feelings about the earlier appearance of Lord Summerisle. In almost every other situation I'd say more Christopher Lee is an improvement. But his intro is a lot more dramatic in the theatrical cut. The longer build-up makes his sparring with Howie seem that much more dramatic. Their first meeting has to be the best scene of Lee's career.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #48
shape22
HackMaster

And right after questioning the body double rear shots I see that she was pregnant during filming. It's mentioned on the IMDB trivia page.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #49
Paff

Seriously, I'm ok with either placement of Willow's dance. In the theatrical, it seems like a good initial test, in the directors/final cuts, it's a final test.

But yeah, that Summerisle/Howie scene is just great to watch

Howie (angrily): I am here to obtain permission to exhume Rowan Morrison's body!
Summerisle (calmly): I was under the impression I'd already given it.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #50
shape22
HackMaster

For those who have Comcast, Fearnet on demand currently includes the theatrical cut of The Wicker Man in HD. I only watched the first few minutes. But it looks to be a legit hi-def presentation--not an upscaled version.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #51
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Blu-Ray.com on THE WICKER MAN

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wi.../39569/#Review

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:41 AM   #52
Ash28M
HackMaster

I am probably going to get the UK Blu as it comes with the three versions but I would like to see an A/V comparison with the UK set.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #53
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
I am probably going to get the UK Blu as it comes with the three versions but I would like to see an A/V comparison with the UK set.
That's the version I received for Xmas. I haven't watched it yet, though I'll try and get to it soon.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #54
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
The UK set is definitely the best version to get. Not only does it include the three versions, but includes more special features, and also the soundtrack CD.

The Final Cut transfer is sourced from an identical StudioCanal master, so I doubt there'll be too much difference between the two there.

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #55
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
The UK set is definitely the best version to get. Not only does it include the three versions, but includes more special features, and also the soundtrack CD.

The Final Cut transfer is sourced from an identical StudioCanal master, so I doubt there'll be too much difference between the two there.
Thanks Katatonia
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #56
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

DVD Drive-In on THE WICKER MAN

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t...manblu7374.htm
Old 01-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #57
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

The Beav weighs in

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...an_blu-ray.htm
Old 01-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #58
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I just ordered it. Have to get it after all the commentary and reviews.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #59
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Watched it last night. Fantastic transfer and I do like this cut more than the theatrical. That being said, I've never seen the director's cut. I really like the placement of Willow's dance in this version. It does make more sense.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote