Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 12-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

GodDAMNIT, I didn't need to know about this sale. I just blew $140.00!!!!

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
Matt89
HackMaster

I spent over $100 too if it makes you feel any better :S

~Matt
Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I heard a rumor that there's a loophole for their region locked titles. When the screen comes up that says the disc is the wrong region, press stop and then top menu. It should take you to the disc's main menu.

Can anyone confirm if this works? Specifically on a Sony player if possible (I also have a Pioneer I could hook up). I'm thinking about placing an $80 order and am curious to know before I pull the trigger.
I wish that would work with all titles. The only thing I know for sure it does work on is Return of the Living Dead LE steelbook from Second Sight, although it's just top menu without the stop. I know this because I own it and have done it on my region A only Sony player. From all I've heard and read, Arrow is completely region B these days, ever since the fire.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #19
MorallySound
There is no magic.

There are three titles I want to grab, but I can't. Gotta tighten the belt on the budget...

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
I spent over $100 too if it makes you feel any better :S

~Matt
Nice to know that I am not the only one lacking in self control.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #21
Mikey Horror
Maniac

Quote:
I heard a rumor that there's a loophole for their region locked titles. When the screen comes up that says the disc is the wrong region, press stop and then top menu. It should take you to the disc's main menu.

Can anyone confirm if this works? Specifically on a Sony player if possible (I also have a Pioneer I could hook up). I'm thinking about placing an $80 order and am curious to know before I pull the trigger.
I can tell you that it definitely doesn't work. Tried it on my Sony and nothing.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #22
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
I can tell you that it definitely doesn't work. Tried it on my Sony and nothing.
Which title did you try? I've heard it works on Spider Baby and Runaway Train.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #23
Mikey Horror
Maniac

I tried it on Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2, Motel Hell and Squirm.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I just went ahead and ordered Spider Baby and Runaway Train, so hopefully the menu trick does work on those. I guess we'll see...

Never ordered direct from Arrow before, but they've already shipped. That was extremely fast.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #25
Paff

Quote:
I just went ahead and ordered Spider Baby and Runaway Train, so hopefully the menu trick does work on those. I guess we'll see...
Crazy idea (and easy for me to say since I just got one), but why not just buy a multi-region Blu Ray player? They're under 200 bucks, and how much did you already spend on those discs? How many others would you get if you knew you could play them.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #26
Matt89
HackMaster

Yeah that was my reasoning too. I just grabbed a cheap player for like $50 from someone on craigslist (they didn't know of its region free capabilities). So glad I did. There's so much great stuff available if you're region free.

~Matt
Old 12-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #27
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

^ The only region-locked titles I really want are Arrow's Motel Hell, Deranged, The People Under The Stairs, and The Last American Virgin. At this point in time, it's just not worth it for only four movies, especially since I'd have to buy the movies on top of that, I have a perfectly functioning blu-ray player, and I already own all four on DVD. Plus, I could see all four being potential Shout Factory contenders down the line.

Although Arrow's upcoming Hellgate disc could be a deal breaker.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #28
Dave
Pimp

I'm a firm believer in region free. However, I have limited space and require a 3d player. These days I just make myself a backup copy (even bd50 is getting affordable) with region lock removed.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #29
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Just to follow up, the menu trick does work to bypass the region coding. I watched Runaway Train last night. When the screen comes up that says "This disc is not playable in your region", just press STOP, then POP-UP MENU / TOP MENU. It'll take you right to the blu-ray's main menu. Watched the movie, all extras, everything worked perfectly. I haven't watched the Spider Baby disc yet, but it supposedly works on that one too.

The only catch is that it would not work on my Sony player with Wi-Fi. Since it's connected to the internet, when you press stop it brings up all these options for NetFlix, YouTube, Hulu, etc, so it isn't focused solely on the disc. But if you have a player where you press STOP and it just brings up the company logo or a blu-ray logo, then it should work.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #30
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Arrow has another Flash Sale up and it's been extended through the weekend, presumably using GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...tegory&path=66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Films
**MEGA SALE UPDATE**

Firstly we are deeply sorry for all the issues everybody has been experiencing when trying to access our sale. Our tech team have been frantically working away during the wee hours of the night to try and get everything running smoothly however the sheer volume of traffic that has continuously tried to access our site keeps resulting in it crashing.

Due to the amount of difficultly people have having with our site we will be extending our sale until 00.01am Monday the 10th of March to give everybody a chance to access our site and the deals.

We are aware that the site is still out of action and are hoping to get it back to life very soon! Thank you for your custom, it is much appreciated please just bear with us a little longer!
https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/...?stream_ref=10
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote