Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Favorite season of AHS?
Murder House 13 48.15%
Asylum 6 22.22%
Coven 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #31
Paff

I'm certainly disappointed with the way this season's gone (after such a promising start), but I'll be watching the finale regardless. I thought the first two season finales were a bit weak, so there's still a way for Coven to redeem itself.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #32
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
Does any plan on bothering with the season finale of Coven? After the last episode I think the writers just shot themselves in both feet.
I fear for the same, but the 1st season did the same thing (fell apart in the last two episodes) so I kind of expected this. I only made it through half of the 2nd season so I can't speak for it.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #33
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
Does any plan on bothering with the season finale of Coven? After the last episode I think the writers just shot themselves in both feet.
Are you kidding? The last episode was the best so far! Sure the plot of this season has definitely wondered... a lot, but it still was a thrilling hour of AHS. I loved it. Still this season isn't my favorite, it played out incredibly different from how I thought it would, but I'm looking forward to the finale tonight.

Besides, I highly doubt Coven's finale with be as amazing as Asylum's finale.

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #34
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

The writers really need to figure out better ways to end the various storylines they weave throughout the season. Each season seems to reach critical mass with plotlines and twists and the show ultimately falls apart into a schizophrenic mess. Their main stories seem to always come to an abrupt, premature ending a few episodes before the season's end, leaving half-baked, seemingly minor stories to close out the season.

Bold prediction time:
Spoiler:
Spalding was the "woman" that blinded Cordelia and the girl he took from Marie Laveau is the next Supreme.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #35
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
The writers really need to figure out better ways to end the various storylines they weave throughout the season. Each season seems to reach critical mass with plotlines and twists and the show ultimately falls apart into a schizophrenic mess. Their main stories seem to always come to an abrupt, premature ending a few episodes before the season's end, leaving half-baked, seemingly minor stories to close out the season.
Yup. Any doubt that they make this show up as they go was completely dispelled as they've dropped the Cordelia pregnancy plot that was there at the beginning, not to mention the Stevie Nicks episode really seemed shoehorned in (like, Stevie found out about the show, said she'd make an appearance, and they hastily wrote her in).

So for season 4, I just want them to have a beginning-to-end main storyline planned out and make the whole show more coherent.

Complaints aside, it's still an enjoyable hour of television once a week, and far less disappointing than most "new" horror films that are currently released.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 01-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #36
Matt89
HackMaster

Same thing has happened to this season that has happened with previous seasons. Yes, the writers just do not know how to conclude their stories well. They have interesting angles and bring up great sub plots but they don't know how to write endings. Like they're fucking horrible at it. Horrible horrible. They try to do too much with it and come up with too many ideas and never know how to pull them all together in the end. It's a real shame. Because of this they have almost no replay value.

However, giving credit where credit is due, the performances are quite amazing.

~Matt
Old 01-30-2014, 01:03 AM   #37
msw7
Morso a morte

So far I've only seen seasons 1 and 2, and I prefer season 1. But Paff is making Coven sound pretty irresistible. I hope I don't have to wait until next Fall to buy the blu ray...
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 AM   #38
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Kind of a "Meh" ending to a season that started out great and then just fizzled out after returning from the mid-season break. Hopefully next year, they show a little more restraint so they can let the story flow a little bit better. Too many seemingly major storylines just ended on a dime or seemingly drowned in the mix, and too many seemingly major characters were more or less, "filler," by season's end. It's like they couldn't figure out what story they really wanted to tell nor with whom they wanted it told. The first 2/3 of the season really was great, but this feels like a season where the whole is probably less than the sum of it's parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Bold prediction time:
Spoiler:
Spalding was the "woman" that blinded Cordelia and the girl he took from Marie Laveau is the next Supreme.
Nope. Just an underdeveloped character and a couple of dropped plotlines.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #39
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

It was an underwhelming ending but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I also found it very humorous that the last 20 minutes of this season finale completely mimics the last 20 minutes of the season 2 finale.
Spoiler:
Sarah Paulson gives an interview shortly before having a confrontation with a deranged family member who she ultimately gets the best of before they die.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #40
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Same thing has happened to this season that has happened with previous seasons. Yes, the writers just do not know how to conclude their stories well. They have interesting angles and bring up great sub plots but they don't know how to write endings. Like they're fucking horrible at it. Horrible horrible. They try to do too much with it and come up with too many ideas and never know how to pull them all together in the end. It's a real shame. Because of this they have almost no replay value.
I have to disagree with this, I've found with repeat viewings I've grown to enjoy the seasons much more the second time around, they're good at planting clue early on in the seasons or foreshadow things that you don't notice until you rewatch it. My friends have rewatched both the first and second seasons as well and they've told me how much better it is rewatching, and that the endings tie things up pretty well.

If anything this show has amazing replay value, I've discovered new things each time, and see the bigger picture of the story.

That being said, Coven is my least favorite episode of AHS, it wasn't as intense and powerful as Asylum, nor as mysterious and claustrophobic as Murder House.

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition

Last edited by vampyr789; 01-30-2014 at 07:35 AM.
vampyr789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #41
Paff

Yeah, another mediocre season finale. The opening, with the Fleetwood Mac song was the best part of the episode. I wish they had not had the Stevie Nicks appearance a few weeks ago and just done this "music video". One of the best moments of the entire season.

Too bad it just went downhill from there. The first half of the episode was like a season finale of a reality competition show (and once again, someone dies but doesn't stay dead). Second half was mostly the Cordelia/Fiona scene, which seemed to take FOREVER. And then the upbeat ending. I'd really like one of these seasons to end super dark. Like, I dunno, a HORROR movie.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 01-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #42
Do you see
Victim

Ho-hum. An alright ending, but as mentioned above something darker might have been nice. So now that S3 is over I can vote. I basically rate the seasons in order 1-3, so S1 it is. Still looking forward to S4 with whats been teased so far.
Do you see is offline   Reply With Quote