Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 02-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #16
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
Maybe it is just me but I really don't get all the hype surrounding this film because I thought it was just ok. If anything this is Adam Wingard's best film to date, but that is not saying too much. Homesick was barely watchable and cringe worthy throughout, A Horrible Way To Die was descent but had an incredibly absurd ending, and his contributing segments to V/H/S, V/H/S/2, and The ABC's Of Death left a lot to be desired. As far as You're Next goes, it is a step in the right direction but I'm still not sold on his abilities as a director. There is a lot of really good gore, the masks worn by the killers are very creepy and the twist ending was well done. But what really baffles me is whether or not the film was suppose to be scary or darkly funny. Considering how over the top and "Home Alone" esque the kills were conflicts with the very serious tone of the film as a whole. Also there were a number of scenes that just drove me nuts with the level of stupidity invloved from a writing stand point.
Spoiler:
Why the Hell did they use those chairs in order to walk past the window to avoid getting speared with an arrow when they each could have crawled on the ground to 100% avoid danger?
Why didn't anyone think it was suspicious that the youngest son knew within 10 seconds of their phones not working that someone was blocking the signal using "illegal signal blocking" equipment?
And the one moment that made me laugh out loud: When Felix suggests that they go into the basement for safety and the Aussie chicks a mediate response to that is "no, they could easily dump gasoline on the steps and light a match!" that line almost killed me. Any rational person's response to that would be no because you can easily be trapped and killed.

Overall I thought You're Next was mediocre. (6/10)
So many great points and I felt the same way. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it for what it was. No classic, but entertaining!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #17
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
Maybe it is just me but I really don't get all the hype surrounding this film because I thought it was just ok. If anything this is Adam Wingard's best film to date, but that is not saying too much. Homesick was barely watchable and cringe worthy throughout, A Horrible Way To Die was descent but had an incredibly absurd ending, and his contributing segments to V/H/S, V/H/S/2, and The ABC's Of Death left a lot to be desired. As far as You're Next goes, it is a step in the right direction but I'm still not sold on his abilities as a director. There is a lot of really good gore, the masks worn by the killers are very creepy and the twist ending was well done. But what really baffles me is whether or not the film was suppose to be scary or darkly funny. Considering how over the top and "Home Alone" esque the kills were conflicts with the very serious tone of the film as a whole. Also there were a number of scenes that just drove me nuts with the level of stupidity invloved from a writing stand point.

Overall I thought You're Next was mediocre. (6/10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
So many great points and I felt the same way. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it for what it was. No classic, but entertaining!
Agree with both of you. I thought it was just okay, but not worth all of the hype. I've heard people describe it as a horror comedy, but I didn't find it funny at all, other then the dumb decisions. And the acting was awful! Not a fan of all these young Directors starring in each other's films. That being said, it had some fun ideas and some decent kills, and the masks were definitely cool.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
dave13
HackMaster

I was totally unaware that this film had any hype, until recently. I saw a trailer for it (maybe in front of Evil Dead? or something else...), and having never heard of it before, thought that it didn't look like anything remotely special. Where did the hype come from? Did it make a big splash playing film festivals or something? Was it kept from release like Mandy Lane? I still haven't actually witnessed any of this hype. Only people referencing the hype. It's kind of odd.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Was it kept from release like Mandy Lane?
Not to the same extent, but yes, it had been on the shelf for a couple years.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #20
thing
Maniac

Quote:
I was totally unaware that this film had any hype, until recently. I saw a trailer for it (maybe in front of Evil Dead? or something else...), and having never heard of it before, thought that it didn't look like anything remotely special. Where did the hype come from? Did it make a big splash playing film festivals or something? Was it kept from release like Mandy Lane? I still haven't actually witnessed any of this hype. Only people referencing the hype. It's kind of odd.
Seemed like everyone was talking about this film leading up to its release, a lot of buzz over a couple of years of one off festival and convention screenings. I saw it at a film festival, fun stuff.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #21
Paff

I didn't hate it, but didn't see anything special about it either. For me, the "hype" was at a Comic-Con panel I attended. The theme of the panel was horror talk on the internet (obviously something I'd be interested in), panelists were moderators and webmasters from various horror sites, and Wingard. They all had attended a preview of You're Next the night before, so all the panelists basically fellated Wingard for the duration of the talk.

So I was expecting something different, and all I got was another home invasion story along the lines of Straw Dogs, Fight For Your Life, or the House on the Edge of the Park.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:36 AM   #22
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
It was number one, if not at least very high up on a lot of people's top 10 horror films of 2013.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote