Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #181
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

I liked this movie a lot. Definitely one of the better remakes to come out in this "horror remake phase." Like others have mentioned, the soundtrack is awesome. I plan on buying it off amazon here soon.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #182
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I watched this a couple of nights ago and wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be. I think it was the POV aspect that put me off--it's not something I enjoy, for whatever reason. I did appreciate the effects work and it was well made and acted, and yes the music was terrific.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #183
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Retarted but I am sure Katatonia already ordered one.
Huh?? I wouldn't even be interested in buying that. You're the VHS junky!!

The only VHS I've specifically bought was for "Killing Spree" and that's only because I love the film and it had the director's workprint version on it!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #184
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Meh...re-watched this a couple of days ago, and it didn't really hold up that well. Second time around I noticed some flaws that I really didn't notice during my first viewing i.e. the all of the female roles and some CG issues. Elijah Woods' performance is still great, but it just seems the rest of the film isn't on the same level as he is.

P.S. fuck that VHS and fuck Mondo.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #185
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Funny I just watched it for the second time and it still holds up.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #186
russweiss
Maniac

Watched my blu today and had mixed feelings. I really liked the first murder and then it just kind of went down from there. The reversible cover for the blu-ray is very nice though.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #187
Paff

Even though the POV stuff got annoying quickly, I have to say I did not hate this movie. It helps that the original is a bit flawed (on what planet would a girl who looks like Caroline Munro be interested in Joe Spinell?) Both feature some rather nasty effects scenes, and both are bleak and hopeless (though I think Lustig's version is a bit darker).

And while I don't notice scores the way a lot of you here do, I did notice this one and its 80s synth styling. I liked that a lot too.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #188
spawningblue
Deadite

I was excited to watch this but was pretty let down. The POV stuff didn't really work for me and for most of the movie I was just bored. I don't love the original version either, but I liked it a lot more then this remake.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #189
dave13
HackMaster

I started out being put off by the POV stuff, and at first thought it seemed like a sneaky way of claiming Elijah Wood was the star, while only having him in a handful of scenes. Whether or not he was there the whole time, I really thought they pulled it off well. And considering that part of the story (in the original as well) was how Frank perceives his mannequins, I thought the POV method was actually justifiable within the context of the film. By about the 30 minute mark, I found myself really enjoying it. It was quite brutal, and Wood did a good job of being both sympathetic and frightening. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I don't know if I feel any desire to rewatch it, so I doubt I'd buy it, but it's more than worth watching on Netflix, or as a rental (for as much longer as that exists).

I also liked how it took major beats from the original, and adapted them - the subway chase, the fashion shoot/photographer element, and the reference to the original cover art was fantastic.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:21 AM   #190
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Whether or not he was there the whole time, I really thought they pulled it off well.
On the rather lengthy “Making Of…” featurette available on the BD, it shows Wood is in fact present during the majority of the shots. For the most part, those are his hands in front of the camera…with the exception of a few scenes where a stunt double was needed.

After my second viewing, I thought I’d honestly never revisit the film any time soon either. However, I’ve watched it two more times now since October when the U.S. BD was released. Nostalgically speaking, it’s just a really addictive film…great synth score, brutal kills, and gore F/X that don’t hold back. What Hatchet achieves for the fun backwoods-themed slashers, Maniac does for the dark, gritty, city-themed slashers…movies like Nightmare, The New York Ripper, and of course Maniac.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote