Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Euro Horror

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 AM   #106
Cydeous
Axxon N
 
Cydeous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: La Casa Maledetta
Posts: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade View Post
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. As someone said before in this thread, I had to stop watching the first time after 50 mins. The music & the sets vary throughout the movie from pretty decent to awful. The acting is horrible, and it sounds like Dario is still recording all the dialogues in the studio, which is very distracting.

I guess I've lost all hope that one day any of my favs directors (D.Lynch/J.Carpenter/D.Argento/D.Cronenberg) will ever release anything good again.
I really hope that Lynch starts making movies again. He's at the top of my list as well. I liked Cronenberg's latest movie Cosmopolis even though it wasn't as good as Videodrome and Naked Lunch. I was even good with The Ward by Carpenter. Those movies might not be at the top of the heap in the oeuvre of their respective directors but at least they had decent acting. Cosmopolis was actually quite good. Argento, unfortunately, has just lost it completely. I loved his earlier works all the way up to and including The Stendhal Syndrome. Then the quality dropped and the movies became just ok (Phantom was horrible). Dracula was just terrible. It was badly acted, the CGI was nasty, and the whole movie was just unnecessary. I hope he turns it around but I lost all hope after this one.
__________________
A cold winter day in an old hotel.
Cydeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #107
f.ramses
Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: region 0
Posts: 775
I agree about the disappointment that was Argento's Dracula but I was dissappointed because of the fact that it wasn't entertaining in a bad movie kind of way. I pretty much gave up on ever seeing anything good again from Argento after Mother of Tears but Dracula sounded so bad that I thought it would be absolutely hilarious and I was really looking forward to seeing it for that reason alone. Sadly, it didn't even work in that way for me.
__________________
"I keep wondering why they keep making all these stupid fucking movies!" - Mickey Knox, Natural Born Killers
f.ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #108
sade
Victim
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 51
I agree it's sad to see the decline of D.A. Watching Dracula was like seeing an Ed Wood flick
sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #109
shape22
HackMaster
 
shape22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade View Post
I agree it's sad to see the decline of D.A. Watching Dracula was like seeing an Ed Wood flick
I can't say I agree with this. Wood's films at least crackle with enthusiasm. That makes the ineptitude charming and funny. The lack of basic film-making skills and the laughable budgets are apparent in every frame. But you can feel the joy of the participants. Even an old pro like Bela Lugosi looks like he's there for more than a pay check.

F. ramses hit it on the head. The trailers made this film look like it would be a so-bad-it's-good-laugh-a-minute minor masterpiece along the lines of Plan 9. But Argento's Dracula isn't bad in an entertaining way. It's just stillborn. If it contained more ridiculous moments like the praying mantis scene or the town hall massacre scene it could have been fun. But it's such a perfunctory and phoned-in take on a story that's already been beaten to death. Not even a master scenery chewer like Rutger Hauer was able to bring it to life for long. I can't imagine any reason for its existence other than pure greed.

Simonetti and Argento have done sloppy work before. But I've never gotten such a half-assed vibe from any of their prior collaborations. These guys appear to have lost all interest in conjuring movie magic. Dracula 3d is pure product.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:55 AM   #110
The Chaostar
Johnny Hallyday forever
 
The Chaostar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Hell-as
Posts: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
I can't say I agree with this. Wood's films at least crackle with enthusiasm. That makes the ineptitude charming and funny. The lack of basic film-making skills and the laughable budgets are apparent in every frame. But you can feel the joy of the participants. Even an old pro like Bela Lugosi looks like he's there for more than a pay check.

F. ramses hit it on the head. The trailers made this film look like it would be a so-bad-it's-good-laugh-a-minute minor masterpiece along the lines of Plan 9. But Argento's Dracula isn't bad in an entertaining way. It's just stillborn. If it contained more ridiculous moments like the praying mantis scene or the town hall massacre scene it could have been fun. But it's such a perfunctory and phoned-in take on a story that's already been beaten to death. Not even a master scenery chewer like Rutger Hauer was able to bring it to life for long. I can't imagine any reason for its existence other than pure greed.

Simonetti and Argento have done sloppy work before. But I've never gotten such a half-assed vibe from any of their prior collaborations. These guys appear to have lost all interest in conjuring movie magic. Dracula 3d is pure product.
Great observations there.
__________________
"Only on Horrordvds.com could a well intentioned get well thread turn into an infomercial about the propensity for testicular perspiration".
The Chaostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:01 AM   #111
CPT HOOK
HackMaster
 
CPT HOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: US
Posts: 3,836
Already streaming on NetFlix.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 AM   #112
cjg
Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: iowa
Posts: 994
Down to $12.96 at Amazon. DVD $ 9.96.
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #113
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light
 
Katatonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 18,002
Geez, this was pretty damned bad. It's almost hard to believe Argento actually made this one. I've seen just about every Dracula film adaptation there's ever been, and this would rank near the bottom...easily.

I thought the Cinematography was especially horrible throughout the film. Every scene that should have appeared darker simply looked artificially lit up. Most cheap DTV films have better cinematography than this film did!

And then there was the inept CGI which looked like it came from the early 2000's... certainly didn't help matters any.

Thomas Kretschmann and Rutger Hauer did pretty solid jobs with what they had to work with. They at least saved the film from being a total disgrace. Even Asia Argento was pretty bad in this one.

And I swear the music score for this one was a virtual total ripoff from some other film score...but I just can't quite pin it.
__________________
"We know nothing in reality; for truth lies in an abyss." - Democritus

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #114
dave13
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
If it contained more ridiculous moments like the praying mantis scene or the town hall massacre scene it could have been fun. But it's such a perfunctory and phoned-in take on a story that's already been beaten to death. Not even a master scenery chewer like Rutger Hauer was able to bring it to life for long. I can't imagine any reason for its existence other than pure greed.
Those were the two moments that stood out for me as well. The effects were lousy in both of them, but there was a wackiness and energy that the rest of the film was hugely lacking. When that's present, I can forgive the worst of effects. It's what makes a terrible film like Birdemic worth watching, and what gives it some entertainment value. Aside from those two scenes (and maybe the completely gratuitous Lucy-takes-a-sponge-bath scene), this movie was incredibly dull.

It felt like the actors were participating in a staging or lighting exercise, reading their lines in a monotone while the crew did their thing. Rutger Hauer in particular looked and sounded like he was under sedation. Each line delivery felt like it was a confused question, as though he were completely unsure of where he was or what he was doing there.

Re-reading this thread is more entertaining than the movie. The hope and cautious optimism of the early posts seems tragic in retrospect.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #115
Anaestheus
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I thought the Cinematography was especially horrible throughout the film. Every scene that should have appeared darker simply looked artificially lit up. Most cheap DTV films have better cinematography than this film did!
I agree with this. But, I wonder if Argento was trying to compensate for the lost light resulting with the 3D glasses. Granted, that implies that at least some thought went on while this was being made and I really don't see much evidence of that anywhere else.

It also seems like the actors didn't know that camera was running. At times, it seems like everyone thought this was a dress rehearsal.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #116
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light
 
Katatonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 18,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
I agree with this. But, I wonder if Argento was trying to compensate for the lost light resulting with the 3D glasses. Granted, that implies that at least some thought went on while this was being made and I really don't see much evidence of that anywhere else.
I guess that is a possibility, but if that's indeed the case it turned out horribly in 2D. I just thought the entire film looked horribly inept and amateurish.
__________________
"We know nothing in reality; for truth lies in an abyss." - Democritus


Last edited by Katatonia; 02-11-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typo
Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #117
Paff
Moderator
 
Paff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,322
Arriving this week from Netflix, so I can check out the suckitude for myself.
__________________
CINEMA PAFF - Your BB-Movie Showcase *

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #118
MisterTwister
HackMaster
 
MisterTwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,438
I can't bring myself to watch this. After Hitchcock, Mother of Tears and Giallo I told myself I would never watch a shitty Argento movie again.
__________________
+6 trader.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #119
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
 
wago70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
Posts: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
I can't bring myself to watch this. After Hitchcock, Mother of Tears and Giallo I told myself I would never watch a shitty Argento movie again.
I haven't seen any of them after readin' these blogs and posts. I did, however, really really like "JENIFER" which I thought was well made, really twisted and the violence actually disturbed me.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #120
MisterTwister
HackMaster
 
MisterTwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
I haven't seen any of them after readin' these blogs and posts. I did, however, really really like "JENIFER" which I thought was well made, really twisted and the violence actually disturbed me.
I forgot about that one. Really dug it as well.
__________________
+6 trader.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com