Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 01-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #46
ronnie21
HackMaster

every review keeps saying how bad the picture is. but in the screen grabs. it looks very good... iam just not a fan of this movie..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #47
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister View Post
Just got the German Blu-ray of Cat People (or Katzenmenschen). Not watched it all yet but had a flick through and the transfer looks fine, not perfect but I didn't see any major problem.
I watched the German Blu-ray last weekend. It looks alright in motion. Colors are solid but they don't "pop". The DNR gives it sort of a glossy "silk scarf" look rather than "wax" in my opinion. I thought detail was ok, though I noticed artificial sharpening in the opening. There's a halo around the panther set against the bright sky.

As for the movie, I think its great.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #48
Matt89
HackMaster

Why is this so hard to find? No stores in Toronto have this in stock and it's unavailable on amazon.ca. Also $25.99? Jesus. I like the movie but I just can't justify paying that much.

~Matt
Old 01-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #49
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
every review keeps saying how bad the picture is. but in the screen grabs. it looks very good... iam just not a fan of this movie..
Are you viewing the Blu-ray.com review's screenshots in full 1920x1080 resolution? You need to be logged in there to see those, but they just look incredibly "waxy" and smoothed over to my eyes...not very filmlike at all.

They probably look better in motion, but you can clearly tell that DNR was heavily applied.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #50
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Why is this so hard to find? No stores in Toronto have this in stock and it's unavailable on amazon.ca. Also $25.99? Jesus. I like the movie but I just can't justify paying that much.

~Matt
Another company has taken over the distribution rights in Canada for Shout/Scream, Criterion, and possibly Troma. So they will all probably be pretty hard to find for the next few weeks, unless it is already on the shelves.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #51
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Another company has taken over the distribution rights in Canada for Shout/Scream, Criterion, and possibly Troma. So they will all probably be pretty hard to find for the next few weeks, unless it is already on the shelves.
Good grief. Is it possible to make it any more difficult for Canadians to obtain movies? I'm annoyed and I live in the U.S.!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #52
Drinkinstein
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Good grief. Is it possible to make it any more difficult for Canadians to obtain movies? I'm annoyed and I live in the U.S.!
Yeah it's gotten pretty bad for Canadians over the last year or so, especially if you're one of those who can't stand the look of bilingual packaging like me. You end up paying almost double for a US import from amazon.ca compared to the exact same product with bilingual packaging! It's the bane of my existence

I've got actually been ordering my scream/shout blu's from Futureshop for months now as their prices are generally about $3-8 cheaper than amazon and you get free shipping over $20. Sometimes you end up waiting for them but it's worth the savings when you're buying nearly everything they're putting out each month.
Drinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #53
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

Unfortunately, the overuse of DNR is consistent across Universal's HD masters, consistent enough to indicate a decision made at the administrative level. For whatever reason, somebody at the helm in the technical services division either prefers the look of a DNR'd transfer or at least believes the customers do. Shout Factory is presumably using a master that Universal already had sitting on the shelf. Of course, for extra $$$ you could probably have them do a new, unmolested scan. Apparently that's what Criterion does when they license older catalog titles from Universal, as their Blu-Rays of Universal titles don't look anywhere near as waxy.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:56 AM   #54
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
AHHH that makes a lot of sense now. The Criterion of Thief is also nowhere to be found.

But yeah I absolutely fucking despise bilingual packaging. Hate hate hate hate it. It looks so ugly! Even the taglines are bilingual. The worst is the spine though. Nothing worse than two titles on the spine. The MGM blu-ray of Sleeper is one of the worst. The spine says "SLEEPER - WOODY ET LES ROBOTS". Ugh. But amazon.com charges so much for shipping that it's really not worth it. I usually order stuff off ebay from the seller import_cds. Shipping is only $3.99 (they unfortunately don't combine shipping) but you get stuff in about a week and their prices are really cheap.

But does anyone know a US online retailer that ships to Canada for a decent price? Amazon.com is so not worth the $7.99 + import fees deposit. Robocop was $7.99 but with shipping it came to almost $17. Still cheaper than the price on Amazon.ca but Jesus Christ, prices need to be THAT LOW on amazon for it to be even worth it to import. It's fucking bullshit

~Matt
Old 01-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #55
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

DVD Talk on THE SHADOW

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/62358/shadow-the/

Along with DVD Drive-In

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/n-s/shadow94blu.htm
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #56
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

DVDBeaver reviews The Shadow: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/shadow.htm
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #57
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Blu-Ray.com on THE CASSANDRA CROSSING / THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ca.../87087/#Review

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote