Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > Laserdisc

Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #46
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Join lddb.com and the Laserdisc Forever newsgroup. Lddb.com message forum has a thread about lasers or extras that aren't on DVD.

Most are on DVD or blu now but I still enjoy collecting. I swear the format is going through a resurgence right now. I dont think we will ever see new discs pressed due to cost, but who knows.

I just got the Phantasm box.....autographed limited edition. Yum!
Thanks Dave. I just got signed up on Lbbd.com and will dig through the forums this weekend. I'm happy to live in an area with many Half Price Books and indie video stores that still carry LDs.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #47
Dave
Pimp

Sorry I meant laserdisc forever Facebook page.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #48
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
I'm interested in building my LD collection, with a focus being on widescreen films only available in fullscreen on VHS or DVD and sets with exclusive bonus features.
I would think that's a pretty small number.

If I was going to give advice to a new LD collector who is a horror fan, I'd say look for anything from Elite Entertainment and possibly The Roan Group (I.E., make that your E-bay search criteria). As already mentioned, the SE of Night of the Living Dead is a must-have, due to the stills collection.

I never made it a major goal to collect a lot of Japanese discs of American movies but there's a lot of highly sought after titles, like the "perfect' collections of Dawn of the Dead or Phenomena. One I do have, and highly recommend is the Japan issue of Evil Dead. It really does have a great look to it.

If you're a fan of Hong Kong movies like I am, Laserdisc is a needed element in your home theater. While many of the big name movies (I.E., John Woo, Jackie Chan, Jet Li) have gotten decent releases on DVD and Blu-Ray, a lot of great movies are either not available on the smaller disc format, or absolute shit shows. Like, they're non-anamorphic, and even worse, the subtitles are below the picture in the letterboxed area so you can't zoom in. You have to watch them letterboxed AND windowboxed (I'm assuming you have a 16x9 display). The HK Lasers were created from theatrical prints, with burned-in subtitles. Usually dual language, Chinese and English, and sometimes white on white. Not to mention they're often poor translations, but it's part of the charm. Note, do not go after the Tai Seng American releases if you can avoid it. Often a cruddy picture, and the above mentioned issue of subs below the image.

Finally, if you're a music fan, you will find there's a LOT of music video collections that are only available on LD with great sound too. One of my favorites is "Squeeze Play", which is a collection of the music videos made by the band Squeeze. They made some very creative videos, and there's two live clips with fantastic sound.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:20 PM   #49
Paff

Also, look for box sets. A lot of those came out with some really great extras. And not on the discs, but in the boxes. Like, there's a box set of Breakfast at Tiffany's that comes with a copy of Audrey Hepburn's personal script including all the notes she scribbled in it. Or, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest which came in a 200-page coffee table-style book about the making of the film. Hell, any fan of that film should have that even if they don't have an LD player!
Also, I don't think the Brad Bird animated series Family Dog ever came out on DVD, did it? There's a neat little box set of that.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #50
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Finally, if you're a music fan, you will find there's a LOT of music video collections that are only available on LD with great sound too. One of my favorites is "Squeeze Play", which is a collection of the music videos made by the band Squeeze. They made some very creative videos, and there's two live clips with fantastic sound.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but laserdiscs with either analog audio and/or uncompressed PCM digital audio may also be at a big advantage in the audio department over their DVD counterparts where analog audio wasn't possible and digital audio was more likely to be encoded as lossy DTS or Dolby Digital.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:02 AM   #51
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but laserdiscs with either analog audio and/or uncompressed PCM digital audio may also be at a big advantage in the audio department over their DVD counterparts where analog audio wasn't possible and digital audio was more likely to be encoded as lossy DTS or Dolby Digital.
Nope, that's quite correct. PCM sound on LD is fantastic. Basically, it's CD-quality (like you mention, DTS and Dolby Digital are compressed on DVD).

Of course, like everything else, Blu-Ray has rendered the argument moot as the audio quality is top-notch on those discs.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #52
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I swear the format is going through a resurgence right now.
I don't know about that, but I'm trying to watch a few more now that they look so much better on my new screen (which still surprises the shit out of me). I wanna dig into my Vincent Price/Roger Corman/Poe discs again. I think I have all of them.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #53
Dave
Pimp

Between LDDB, Ebay, Laserdisc Forever - there is a good amount of activity. It may only amount to a thousand people, but look at some of the prices discs are going for (and actually selling). Lots are being bought up on ebay a lot, too.

Few times a week someone joins LD Forever and posts how they grew up wanting LD but couldn't afford it, so they are getting into it now. Most go in with reasonable expectations and aren't too disappointed with the drop in quality when compared to HD/blu-ray.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #54
Paff

My LDDB list was taken down, since I haven't updated it in a long time (guess I should change my sig...). I don't feel like re-entering 500 or so LDs.

A few nights ago I watched Assault on Precinct 13. It was kinda crappy looking, but it was more due to the transfer and not the format. Still, entirely watchable. I've gotta start digging through my tons of discs and find more stuff to watch. Like my Criterion edition of Repulsion.

Paff's Laserdiscs