Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #76
booper71
HackMaster

I would guess the giant sphere is from a nightmare Reggie has in the movie and thats why it looks cheesy.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #77
shape22
HackMaster

After reading Coscarelli's quotes I have some serious reservations. Why would a Phantasm film require more visual effects than John Dies At The End? And why would he hand the directorial reins to a guy with that kind of resume? I have a bad feeling that the stink of modern film-making trends will seriously taint this project. Quick cutting and over-reliance on effects would be very off-putting to long-time (that sounds nicer than "old and cranky") fans like myself. I'm extremely sick of the nonstop parade of films offering tons of effects and very little genuine imagination. I hope that's not how this turns out. But that's definitely what I'm expecting at this point.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:06 AM   #78
Dave
Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
I'm sorry, but this looks terrible. I like Phantasm, I LOVE II, III sucks, and IV has grown on me. But the time for this has long passed. The actors were already showing their age in IV. Sixteen years after the last sequel, we are supposed to buy the original cast playing the same characters? Especially the main villain, who is supposed to be timeless? The Lady in Lavender, who is supposed to be seductive? The main hero, still kicking ass? No, no, and no. And don't even get me started on the SPFX. That bazooka shot looks like a stock effect any kid could use in a YouTube vid. The giant sphere at the end? Terrible! Hey kid, the fake birds don't sell it! It's like something out of a fake fan-made trailer. They should have taken the money and rebooted this, cuz you just can't go back.
Clearly it's being made for the fans. And clearly the majority are excited for it. We are willing to overlook shortcomings in effects and age because we love the movies.

For all we know, the effects are work in progress. He did mention that they only just started the effects.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #79
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Clearly it's being made for the fans. And clearly the majority are excited for it. We are willing to overlook shortcomings in effects and age because we love the movies.

For all we know, the effects are work in progress. He did mention that they only just started the effects.
Exactly, and really if you're a true fan of this series then none of the points that zillamon raises matters. If the only film in the series that you can say you love is the one that Coscarelli had the least amount of creative control on, then Part 5 wasn't meant or made for you. No offense, zilla, but you just don't get it. Nothing about this series is meant to be realistic, literal, or linear.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:58 AM   #80
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Lol. The last thing on my mind was the age of the cast members. In my mind, the events of all 5 films occur within a 2-year period after the first incident, despite the long gaps between films Bannister and Scrimm are up there in age but it doesn't affect the storyline and shouldn't take away from the enjoyment of the movies. I've seen that teaser about a dozen times now and each time I do it makes me want to see the movie more.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:31 AM   #81
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Anyone see this?

http://phantasmexhumed.com/

Book on the Phantasm series. Comes out in like a week. I'm on that.

They released some samples of various chapters. See http://phantasmarchives.blogspot.com...-excerpts.html
Sounds awesome. Is it going to just be sold direct, or also through retailers?

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:33 AM   #82
Drinkinstein
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Exactly, and really if you're a true fan of this series then none of the points that zillamon raises matters. If the only film in the series that you can say you love is the one that Coscarelli had the least amount of creative control on, then Part 5 wasn't meant or made for you. No offense, zilla, but you just don't get it. Nothing about this series is meant to be realistic, literal, or linear.
WELL PUT. I feel the same way about this series and I'm just insanely happy that they're going for one last hurrah while they can. I love the series and the characters enough that I'm probably going to be pretty forgiving if they had to make this happen on a shoestring, at least it's happening! By the way, apparently Phantasm V is "trending" on twitter right now. I'm no twatter but I believe that means it's a fairly popular subject at the moment...
Drinkinstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #83
deepred
Maniac

I'm late to the party but ...

Good or bad, it will be fun to enter back into the Phantasm world. I hope after this one, they respectfully reboot the series as the mythology is too good to not go back to.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #84
coldheart
Screamy Bopper

coldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #85
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
III sucks
Nope. It's great.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #86
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

After seeing the clip, I'm much more hopeful than I was before. When I heard it was being shot in the home of one of the stars, I immediately thought of THE CORPSE GRINDERS 2 and fell into despair.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #87
Doombear
Stalker

Fall/October release direct to video?
Doombear is offline   Reply With Quote